Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS Advice Please:~

Views : 1667

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 18:59   #1
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default ABS Advice Please:~

Volvo V70 1997 2.5 Petrol: ~ ABS.
Looking for some advice please- the ABS light came on last week, once parked & left etc. it remained off but returned after approx. 20min or so.
The front ABS reluctor rings will be changed this week (just waiting for the parts) as they look quite rusty and probably original.

The sensors don’t want to move at this stage but the bolts have been taken off & cleaned- any advice to aid removal if I do need to go further.

The car is fairly new to me at present so I don’t have a reader to diagnose the above but would also appreciate some recommendations on a not too expensive one- some advice says that the ABS light will self clear once sorted & tested is this true?
Thanks Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Sep 18th, 2018 at 19:06.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:01   #2
amazondean
amazondean

You will probably have to take the hub off so that you can get a punch to punch the sensor out. It will have stuck in the hub. Once everything is sorted, the abs light should go out once driving, but not guaranteed!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:27   #3
John97Tdi
Master Member

Hi, the ABS control module is a known issue on these cars with dry joints causing the warning light to come on - there are lots of posts on here about resoldering the ABS. I use Vol FCR (other readers are available!)which can read and clear the codes on these cars - I'd be tempted to get the codes read before replacing bits of the ABS system in the hope of finding the faulty part.

Cheers

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 11:51   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Another vote for dry solder joints on the ABS module - well worth checking out before you start throwing money at sensors etc., it's a fiddly job but very low cost, mainly just your time. Look in the "Technical articles" section, there's a how-to-do-it in there, and lots of other threads on here that cover the same thing. If your reluctor rings are really crusty it's worth replacing them, but faulty ones often don't put the ABS light on, as the module just thinks the wheel is skidding, not actually a fault.

Cheers!
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 12:22   #5
amazondean
amazondean

Quite right, if the reluctor rings are rusty you would find that your ABS would kick in when you braked. The light would normally stay off
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 19:30   #6
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Volvo V70 1997 2.5 Petrol: ~ ABS.
some advice says that the ABS light will self clear once sorted & tested is this true?
Thanks Bob.
Yes I'm sure that's true....but, and a rather big but......
You have four wheels..so four sensors,.......so which one is throwing up the problem ? Or is it the module ?
By the time you find the problem....it might have been cheaper to invest in a diagnostics that will read your codes and point you to the culprit.

Oh, and you still have the diagnostics tool for later use......should you need it.
Good Luck.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 20:00   #7
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Thanks for the advice progress to date: ~ I had on order the rings anyway together with the 36mm socket-both arrived today. I had prepared the suspension bolts/nuts i.e. cleaned up & copper greased, this made for a relatively quick change following the forum advice-for the costs of these parts I had no great problems considering the age of the car etc.
One drive shaft nut had been very stubborn even with a breaker bar & extension.
I also persevered with the wheel sensors (stuck) just in case they do prove to be defective- this was done by tapping one side and the then the other at the bolt mounting point, they are an interference fit and held by a few plastic ribs on the spigot that seats into the hub (part No for ref.6849311) these can now be pulled out quite easily if required?
The drop link had been removed from the bottom fitting and the two bolts on the suspension strut –to-steering knuckle had also been made ready for removal etc.
Although the control arm fittings had been prepared for removal the work can be done with them in place. I also plan to solder the various joints on the ABS module as a belt and braces exercise considering that a fault is likely to develop at some stage!
Not tested as yet so we shall see.
Regards Bob
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 20:10   #8
John97Tdi
Master Member

It was some time ago but I'm almost certain that when I read the codes on mine it flagged up that there was an issue with one of the rear sensors. Everything 'looked' OK but after a thorough clean the warning light remained so,after reading on here about issues with the module, I took the module apart and re-soldered it - it's been fine now for perhaps the last 5 years.

So the moral of this story is that a code reader may direct you to an area with a issue but not necessarily to the precise component with a problem - I assume that when I re-soldered the module it could then 'see' the perfectly OK sensor again and hence the warning light went out.

Hope this helps (and makes sense!)

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 20:37   #9
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Thanks John: ~ I did take a look at your previous advice regarding a reader but I will admit that this side of tech- maintenance is a learning curve for me; however the car is one that I want to keep so at some stage I will have to invest.
As previously mentioned the process to repair this particular problem seemed to be quite limited in terms of costs / work and hopefully worthwhile as I now know that the various suspension bits that I have looked at are in good order for now and future maintenance.
Will update once I complete & test etc.
Regards Bob
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 21:30   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Bodge fix if it is dry solder joints, try wedging something in between the electrical connector and the body of the ABS pump, it may help hold the contacts together inside the ABS control unit. It's only a temporary fix but when mine was playing up it meant I went from a couple of ABS warnings a day to a couple of weeks without a warning, when I did take the unit apart it did have 'dry' solder joints.
The picture shows where, I just used a bit of card from a box of sweets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (195.0 KB, 67 views)

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote