Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 xc60 inscription - speed camera warning

Views : 6898

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2018, 12:51   #21
optimistic

Safety depends on good driving, not speed limits but we should recognise a moral obligation to obey the law. Certainly speeding can be irresponsible but everyone should drive within their abilities. A blanket speed limit inhibits driver reactions which can itself be dangerous in some situations. It can also entice inexperienced drivers or reckless drivers to drive at legal speeds in unsafe conditions.

Sometimes you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation, particularly on motorways and sometimes conditions are unsafe below the speed limit (i.e. 70mph in thick fog or on ice). Also some drivers are dangerous at low speeds. Tailgating on the motorways is far more dangerous than a competent driver safely exceeding the speed limit in safe conditions in order to avoid a dangerous situation. Does anyone really claim never to have broken the 20mph limit in town? It's rare to see anyone obeying that and anyone who does gets mercilessly intimidated by other traffic.

My MY2019 XC90 (my first Volvo and great) has speed camera warnings with sound but it misses so many that it is pretty much useless (unless I have somehow missed an update). I have used PocketGPSWorld camera alerts previously but haven't found a way to load them into the Sensus GPS. Has anyone managed it? I could use the mobile app but I don't like AndroidAuto and would prefer not to use the mobile screen while driving.
optimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 13:09   #22
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Anyone fancy making a positive case for drink driving?
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 13:25   #23
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Optimistic
I have just set up the below auto features on my new MY19 XC60 that I find really useful but not intrusive.
1. An auto sound beep when I exceed the speed limit (based on the road sign recognition option) with a user changeable excess limit which I have set to 5 mph, so when I exceed say 35mph for the 1st time in a new 30 mph zone I get a warning beep plus a flashing 30 mph sign.
2. An auto recognition of speed camera’s plus a warning beep again.

I used to have the PocketGPSWorld database until about MY15 when the then new Sensus system scare out that removed the ability tomupload POI’s.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 17:14   #24
MaDProFF
Master Member

Annoying it does not load pocket gps poi's for sure.

I agree 100% there are times accelerating is far the best options, I wonder how long it will be the safety features will cause an accident with braking where you could have accelerated past an incident?

I like your thoughts rather Optimistic though in this day and age

As you say there is a time and place, but with so many cyclists nowadays one of the main reasons so many speed restriction being put into place, really taking the fun out of driving.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 17:12   #25
optimistic

simon,

I have set up the Sensus speed camera warnings but they pick up so few as to be useless. I've updated the maps and searched for a separate speed cam update without any luck. I've seen other posts about PocketGPSWorld on here and hope that someone finds a way. I'll keep trying but the PocketGPSworld website says that their database works only on systems that allow points of interest to be loaded by the user. Volvo don't seem to allow that now and I can understand why considering the security issues. It's one thing to get your 'phone hacked but quite another to get your car hacked while you are driving up the motorway (at a legal speed of course).

MaDProff,
Yes, we'll all be driving like robots soon so won't need the autonomous cars that are in the pipeline. I anticipate a day when I see a red light crashing cyclist, head down, racing towards me from the side when I'm driving at 19 mph, too late for me to avoid him by braking and unable to accelerate away to save him because of the speed limit. I've actually seen that situation in London when a shirtless maniac on a bike shot through a red light at crossroads waving his arm and screaming obscenities. He seemed to be more than a little inebriated so perhaps his brain couldn't tell his legs to stop pedalling in time.

PS It's so irritating to be (more or less) observing the speed limit in a 20mph zone only to be overtaken (or undertaken) by cyclists, particularly downhill when they are travelling at 40mph or more (see YouTube for plenty of examples of speeding downhill cyclists). And I wonder if those autonomous cars will be allowed to accelerate out of trouble when their Lidar detects a jack-knifing juggernaut crashing through the barrier towards them on the motorway? Or will the computer just give up and ring Volvo-on-Call?
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 18:19   #26
optimistic

Zebster,
Let's consider a hypothetical situation, just to illustrate the sort of situation I'm talking about. Imagine that you are driving on the motorway. You come across that not uncommon situation whereby there is a queue of lorries stretching into the distance, taking up the slow and middle lanes while they overtake one another at a speed differential of 0.5mph. You move into the fast lane at a god fearing 70mph and start cruising past them. Then you spot a little Fiat 500 bearing down on you at 95mph with some impatience because he has spent the last 10 minutes winding up to that speed and you (and the lorries) are threatening his momentum (yes, the Fiat will do over 100mph in the right conditions). Such is his irritation (and/or arrogance) that he sits 2ft from your rear bumper, crouched over his steering wheel and maybe even flashing his lights and sounding his hooter. Normally you would pull into the middle lane to let him pass and proceed to his inevitable fate but you can't do that because of those lorries so you have three choices

(1) to stamp on your brakes and then accelerate quickly back to the speed limit to impress upon him the dangers of his temperament and driving style while enjoying in the mirror the panic on his face as he suddenly appreciates the true dangers of tailgating and its effect on his bowels,

(2) to proceed at 70 mph knowing that if a dangerous situation were to arise causing you to brake hard the Fiat would probably be written off, its occupants severely injured and, worst of all, your Volvo might sustain a scratched rear bumper

(3) to accelerate past the line of lorries a quickly as possible to a point where you could pull into the centre lane and return to a legal 70mph while getting the incidental gratification of seeing that Fiat shrinking in your rear view mirror and it's driver being disillusioned of the fantasy of being Louis Hamilton at the wheel of a Mercedes F1 racing car.

Sometimes we need to react to the misbehaviour of bad drivers to protect ourselves, and them, or just react to random events using the full capabilities of our vehicles. I hope that consideration doesn't dislodge your halo.

Just another thought, is letting learner drivers onto the motorways just the thin end of the wedge? How long before we see a cycle lane on the M25?
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 09:46   #27
MaDProFF
Master Member

Ironically I have done 3 in the past, and will always do 3.

But I did get done for speeding once doing 3, even though the cars overtook me after and hit well over 3 figures, the last car to over take me acutely stopped with me and the police car, I thought it was a unmarked car, where he got out, the police got out, policeman shouted "why have you stopped, he shouted back thought you were stopping me for speeding, policeman shouted back no, not stopped you, stopped this car (me) I explained to the policeman the situation, he said cannot do the other cars clocked you first, so you are nicked.

Sad part is if I had actually gone to court reckon I could have got off it. but court was 200 miles away, and thinking I would get 3 pints got 5
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 16:43   #28
brissle

Am hoping to re-activate this thread, please.
I have a 2017 XC60.
The system has a speed camera warning which beeps as I approach an active camera.
I understand this is illegal in some european countries and as i will be driving to France in 6 weeks I would be grateful for advice on how to switch off this warning.
I have tried to follow to instructions posted earlier but the commands are different on my model and I cannot find a specifc on/off activation for speed camera warning.
Would be grateful for any advice.
thank you.
brissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 19:39   #29
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissle View Post
Am hoping to re-activate this thread, please.
I have a 2017 XC60.
The system has a speed camera warning which beeps as I approach an active camera.
I understand this is illegal in some european countries and as i will be driving to France in 6 weeks I would be grateful for advice on how to switch off this warning.
I have tried to follow to instructions posted earlier but the commands are different on my model and I cannot find a specifc on/off activation for speed camera warning.
Would be grateful for any advice.
thank you.
The speed camera alert in your car doesn’t operate in France, you don’t have to change any settings.
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 19:41   #30
brissle

Ah, brilliant, problem solved, many thanks.
These cars are just too dammed clever..............
brissle is offline   Reply With Quote