Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel interchangeably between new generation XC60 and older

Views : 781

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2020, 09:55   #1
mrc1501
Master Member

Default Wheel interchangeably between new generation XC60 and older

Just wanted to know if wheels from the latest shape XC60 can fit the previous model versions. Do like some of the newer wheels but a Volvo dealer told me that the new generation has a different hub, so the wheels cannot be interchanged.
I’m not 100% convinced by this but has anyone fitted the newer wheels to the older version.

Cheers

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 22:29   #2
Dastardly Diesel

Centre bore is 63.4mm on each.

PCD is the same.

Offset is 5mm less on the later model.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 22:34   #3
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
Centre bore is 63.4mm on each.

PCD is the same.

Offset is 5mm less on the later model.
So should be a straight forward bolt on job. Have seen a picture of the new generation wheels on a pre 2017 model car, so I know that they fit.

V70R 1997 Gone
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 22:52   #4
Dastardly Diesel

The chances of a mere 5mm making a difference is negligible, so I reckon they're good to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 09:03   #5
Lincolnite

I’m totally against this- all IMHO of course.

Apart from looking “wrong”, you will have changed the wheels from what the manufacturer intended - will you not have effectively broken the vehicles homologation and therefore have potentially invalidated your insurance?

It’s your choice, but surely warrants checking with your insurance company. If you have this in writing from them then that’s all that really matters, having said “I’ve checked with some blokes on an on-line forum” really won’t count for anything. The same goes for aftermarket wheels - although at least there you have the option of buying the correct offsets etc.

Lincolnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 12:10   #6
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnite View Post
I’m totally against this- all IMHO of course.

Apart from looking “wrong”, you will have changed the wheels from what the manufacturer intended - will you not have effectively broken the vehicles homologation and therefore have potentially invalidated your insurance?

It’s your choice, but surely warrants checking with your insurance company. If you have this in writing from them then that’s all that really matters, having said “I’ve checked with some blokes on an on-line forum” really won’t count for anything. The same goes for aftermarket wheels - although at least there you have the option of buying the correct offsets etc.

I think looking “wrong” is quite a bold statement and could start a thread all by itself 😱
Wheels, in my opinion, can make or ruin the look of the car. For me, if I want to consider a different wheel type than the one currently fitted to my car, then I always look at what different options are available to me, from the car or wheel manufacturer. I make a point of finding the car brochure for my model year, and look at the wheel options contained within.
I would never consider using spacers or spigots to retrofit a wheel that is not meant to be fitted to that particular type of car. The manufacturer has spent money and time to work out what is suitable, so who am I to ignore their expertise.
Different wheels can have both positive and negative effects on the cars handling and safety. Even putting the wrong tyre profile on a wheel can alter its handling.
As for insurance, I fitted Pegasus alloys to my V70R, from a younger model and a newer generation of car. Told the insurance company and because they were genuine manufacturer from a later model, all was fine.

V70R 1997 Gone
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 13:50   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

My V70 is running on Aries wheels which are from a 740 or 940, sorry Mr Insurer that's how it was when I bought it, they're Volvo wheels, how was I supposed to know? That's if they even question them. A Volvo wheel with just 5mm difference in the offset will only be noticed by someone wearing a Volvo anorak. IMHO of course

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 22:04   #8
Dastardly Diesel

I'm pretty sure no one cares. Its mrc's car to do with as he pleases.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 23:35   #9
GMcL
0's and 1's

This is where Brexit can step up to the mark and clarify...

Other markets have "stamps" on for example wheel rims which clarify which parts can fit which vehicles. When you go for an MOT they scan the mark and if the computer says OK, then no problem, if the computer says NO, then you provide the paperwork that says YES, or it's NO.

You then have the option to buy those parts for your vehicle based on this approved number. It's not rocket science and it takes out the IMHO argument because it is either in the catalogue for the vehicle or it is not. It also gets rid of unapproved parts overnight,

The old E mark used to do the trick but that is no longer applicable to the UK since Jan. 31st.*

*It won't be once the E Kite is the new standard.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 4th, 2020 at 00:45.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 08:02   #10
Dastardly Diesel

The issue with that is that just because a part is unapproved does not mean it is inappropriate or unsafe. The UK's block expemption regulations, aside from the servicing and warranty questions, allows manufacturers of aftermarket parts and accessories to do so without restriction.

In any case, its mrc's car and it's no ones business what he does with it, and I don't recall him asking anyones opinion. He posed a technical question that was duly answered. Why can't people just leave it at that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post: