Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.4 340 Carb query

Views : 1424

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:36   #1
wjp01908

My `88 340GL was a bit tricky to start and a bit rough the other day - I found that the top cover of the carb was loose - this was the 1st thing I checked after the choke actually, having come across this problem many times with my previous car. Do these engines always shake their carbs to bits?

Reminds me of a potentially dangerous breakdown we had a few years ago when the big plug near the fuel intake (Weber carb)fell out on the motorway, spraying the hot engine with fuel. An hour with the AA man looking for a scrapper with the same carb and we were back on the road, but it could have been nasty.....

Anyway my query is:

Has anyone come across this before and have they found a long term solution. Perhaps spring washers or Loctite ( I`m not too keen on this as with my old car I was always having to dismantle and clean the carb and don`t really want any extra gunge in there)

Any suggestions appreciated

Will Plummer
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 15:53   #2
nvel75

Hi, sorry, no clever suggestions, just sympathy. I just bought a 1.4 340 DL as reliable short term transport. The car drives beautifully, until today when it refuses to idle and just cuts out if the revs drop.

Not pleasant if you're doing 50mph! If 'carbs shake themselves to bits' then there is probably an obvious explanation. I'll brave it tonight, though my experience is solely with SU carbs and Saturday was the first time I had looked in the engine bay of any Volvo.

Nacho
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 16:54   #3
wjp01908

I`ve been doing some reading around this problem on various groups and the general consensus is that this is caused mainly by an over heavy air filter that is only supported by the carb.

Going on my previous experience of this, I would be tempted to check the carb top cover out first, followed by the carb/manifold nuts.

Do not be tempted to overtighten any of these....it is all too easy to strip the soft alloy threads out of the carb.

If this doesn`t help there is possibly a leak in some of the pipework attatched to the carb and manifold (check for split or perished hoses)or gunge in the carb itself.

Let me know if this is any help

Will Plummer
Old May 12th, 2003, 21:32   #4
terryed

If your 340 wont idle check your fuses. I had this problem. The power to the idler valve uses the same fuse as the heated seats on earlier models and rear screen washer/wiper on older models. Mke sure there are no wires shorting out. If there is tape them up. On heated seats model you may have to disconect heater under the seat.
Old May 12th, 2003, 21:36   #5
terryed

Some 340 card like to shake themselves to bits. Take off air filter and make sure all bolts and screws are tight. Recommend this on a regular basis. Dont use lock tight or spring washers. Get them in carb and its a new engine.