Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1979 343..advice

Views : 1195

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 14:58   #1
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Default 1979 343..advice

hey all...just bought a '79 3 dr volvo 343 dl 1.4 to join my amazon estate. it has an original lpg conversion fitted in '79, one family owned from new, fsh, all old mot's, tax discs etc..and a super low mileage of 29k from new, totally verified by the history. wee car is as new inside and 95% as new body wise....is a 340 in this condition worth holding on to. i usually keep my cars for about 6 months, but have nvr before owned an old car in such straight, original, unmolested condition...and i'v not seen such an old one on the road for a long time!!??
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 20:17   #2
5lab

this was the one on autotrader right? how much did you pay in the end

simply, yes its worth looking after. 343s are pretty rare these days (i only know of 3 or 4 mk1 343s in the uk) wheras 340s are still fairly common. i'd normally reccomend coming over to www.volvo300mania.com as it has a much larger support for 300s than this forum, but its down at the mo (due to be back up again on thurs).

Hugh
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 01:57   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Default RE: 1979 343..advice

Is it running well on the lpg? What equipment is used? Could you take pictures Of the tank and it valves and also the reducer etc. It would be interesting to see what was used.

Heres a pic of my 340 conversion, Its a work in progress.

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:39   #4
biggbn
I've Been Banned

yes mate, one and the same!!...i paid slightly less than the asking price!! the bu**er wouldnt budge...he was a really nice guy and the car obviously holds a lot of sentimental attachment for him having been owned by his dad(now dead) then his mum, then finally handed down to him, and it does appear to be a wee cracker..i actually thought he was gonna keep it at one point!!.i had actually left and was on my way back to dundee when the reality hit me..where would i find another timewarp volvo like it, so i called him back an bought it...and people who know me will tell ya, i HATE loosing the haggling part!!! not sure bout gas yet..it hasnt been run on lpg for many, many years so will get my tame garage monkey to check it out first..he has 3 lpg motors!!!..will post some pics soon as i get it up to my house..i pick it up from my dads in ayrshire tomorrow...i never knew they were so rare..thanks for the advice...might be on the search for a set of minilite copys or glt alloys now!!..should it be ok on unleaded with the gas conversion, or should i put an additive in too?
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:30   #5
5lab

not sure about the lpg..

glt alloys, like these http://www.volvo300club.nl/images/voorblad/foto5.jpg

arent actually too rare, i've got 2 sets at the mo, look like this on a car the colour of yours..

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/tours/pages/tours%20040.htm

the rarer ones that would be more in keeping in your car are these

http://www.volvo300club.nl/images/ontwikkeling/4.jpg

they were the only wheels sold on the mk1 300s. we affectionately call them 'black beauty wheels' as that car is the black beauty special edition, and its one of the few cars that had them. i did actually have a set of those wheels for a while, but i gave them to the head of the 'friends of the volvo 300s'. oops!

any 300 or 400 wheels will fit, but not *40 (ie s40 and v40) or early 850 4stud wheels. there is quite a variety around..

hth :)

Hugh

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 12:17   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Nee any help with the LPG give us a shout

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 20:05   #7
biggbn
I've Been Banned