Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26812

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2020, 01:54   #141
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainBrighton View Post
I am currently in the Netherlands where they offer a set of two discs for EUR30 including an A4 on how to use it. Just purchased a set and can try to copy the discs for you, it is the 2018 update and apparently it was the last update ever. Took quite a while and had to use the CTEK trickle charger as it emptied a full and healthy battery with ease. Prior it had no DVD inside but with this version you need to keep the disc 1 in the unit at a later stage apparently to prevent others from copying them. Can give it a try if you like, will cost you postage and no more if that helps ?
If you do try, Burn it at the slowest rate, will have a higher success rate
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 10:22   #142
Odysseus

MOT day today!

I'm currently having another day trip to Baldock while my XC90 is with IVS Letchworth. I've asked them to service it (the first service in my ownership) and check all the elements necessary to ensure MOT success.

I know it's going to need attention to the handbrake as that was reported as dodgy during the swirl flap rectification last autumn, but who knows what else might need some mechanical focus.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome. More news as I get it.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 10:29   #143
Odysseus

Smile

In the immortal words of the poet Ice Cube, "Today was a good day...". Okay, technically yesterday, but you get the idea.

Result!

My XC90 passed, with no advisories. What's more, the handbrake only needed adjusting. No new parts required.

Given that it's been a few years and about 11,000 miles since the last service, I asked for the big one to be done. As well as engine oil, all the filters were changed and the report from IVS was both the fuel filter and the air filter were very dirty, so fresh ones of these will definitely help.

Total bill for the day was a very reasonable £437.70, which I don't think is too bad for a major service and a MOT.

The report of work needed next time includes various worn suspension components and engine mounts, which is fair enough as these are essentially consumable items.

Somewhat frustratingly, another report was around the gearbox oil. "Has it ever been changed?" I was asked. "No, because you advised me not to." was the answer.
It seems that IVS have adjusted their professional view on this matter, so the next time it's there I'll be getting the gearbox oil changed, as well as the software updated on the gearbox. I'm seriously tempted to do this sooner rather than later.
While the gearbox seems fine - touch wood - it's the only thing I really worry about breaking on the car, as, short of the engine, as everything else can be replaced relatively easily and within the envelope of reasonable cost.

IVS did comment on the generally very good condition of the car, especially taking it's mileage into account. It was clearly very pampered during its first 182,000 miles (as the large stack of old invoices I have would seem to attest to).

As an aside, I also got to spend another day in the market down of Baldock, propping up the local economy of coffee shops and pubs.

It's coming up to a year since I bought the car, and I'll do a one year report with costs incurred over the year and opinions next month. Hopefully that will be useful to current and prospective owners who may be following this thread.

To conclude, a good day of XC90 ownership, and should mean the car is in top shape for a looooong trip to Devon next week for a family holiday.

Thanks for reading.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 10:58   #144
Dastardly Diesel

Without stripping the turbo, its interesting to wonder how they came to believe the seals are worn.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:25   #145
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
It seems that IVS have adjusted their professional view on this matter, so the next time it's there I'll be getting the gearbox oil changed, as well as the software updated on the gearbox.
2 years ago I had my gearbox oil changed at my request
I now regret it

2 years later my torque converter is slipping and shuddering under low RPM high torque scenarios.

Volvo advised today 8000 CHF = 6300 GBP for a replacement auto gearbox (they do not rebuild gearboxes at Volvo, they just replace)

I am wondering if I never touched it would it still be OK now?

Replacing the fluid flushes out any friction solids swimming in the fluid, resulting in potentially less friction on the torque converter, resulting in slipping/shuddering

I'm considering my options: an indy gearbox repair may be on the cards....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:30   #146
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I now regret it

2 years later my torque converter is slipping and shuddering under low RPM high torque scenarios.

Volvo advised today 8000 CHF = 6300 GBP for a replacement auto gearbox (they do not rebuild gearboxes at Volvo, they just replace)

Replacing the fluid flushes out any friction solids swimming in the fluid, resulting in potentially less friction on the torque converter, resulting in slipping/shuddering

I think that you have just been unlucky Swiss and I would bet my bottom dollar that far more Geartronic Gearboxes have failed through not changing the fluid than ever have through doing it.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:33   #147
Odysseus

Quote:
I now regret it

This is really interesting, and for what it's worth I'm very sorry your gearbox is behaving as it is Swiss, very bad luck.

Do you mind me asking how many miles (kilometres) your car has covered? Has it been used for towing?
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 14:04   #148
gmonag
Premier Member

I use my 2005 D5 for towing a large caravan. I have changed the gearbox oil twice and it has improved the operation both times. The oil that came out was brown and smelt burnt (I have been towing in Europe during heatwaves). Replacing the oil can only do good in my opinion. I think Swiss was unlucky.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:02   #149
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
I now regret it

Replacing the fluid flushes out any friction solids swimming in the fluid, resulting in potentially less friction on the torque converter, resulting in slipping/shuddering.

Its unrelated. That'd be like changing your wiper blades and having a wheel fall off 2 years later. The torque converter operates by means of oil pressure on the the internal turbine, not friction - the less s***e floating around in the fluid. the better as as far as a torque converter is concerned. The same is true of all the valving and galleries that control the flow of oil to the pump side of the TC.

Last edited by Dastardly Diesel; Feb 12th, 2020 at 18:05.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 20:49   #150
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
This is really interesting, and for what it's worth I'm very sorry your gearbox is behaving as it is Swiss, very bad luck.

Do you mind me asking how many miles (kilometres) your car has covered? Has it been used for towing?
My car has 140k km (87k miles). I have towed a loaded horse float once for 20km, otherwise only a bike carrier has been on the towbar during my ownership. The previous owner had used the towbar, due to scratches on the towball. Dunno what he towed.

I had the annual service done today.
Oddly enough, it cost exactly the same as yours: 539 CHF = 425 GBP.
200 labour, 290 materials, plus tax.

Oil change, new air filter, oil filter, pollen filter. Expensive washer fluid. Handbrake adjustment. Battery test. Diesel additive. Wash. Tyre black. Volvo mobility guaranty for a year.
A minor service, said the dealer (no brake fluid or brake pad change).

They drove the car and said gearbox was fine.
They also said a replacement was around 8000 CHF (6300 GBP) !!
I think they never experienced the low RPM high torque condition which caused the torque converter to slip.

BTW, I know exactly what time they started working on the car and how long the engine was running, or a battery charger was connected. And when they finished. My battery monitor collected all the data, I have the graph on my phone

Out of interest I printed the fault history to PDF last night and saw only 1 x fault logged in the last 9 months: glow plug relay faulty signal. Once only. And then after they cleared the codes it happened today as well. I know that because I pulled the codes tonight too. I might remove the relay, clean the contacts and stick it back in. See how it goes.

My previous fault from last Summer - occasional bad signal on injector 4 - has disappeared since last service where they did a Service 2.0 entire car update and deleted my Heico Tune. I got the Heico tune back (at their cost) but I never recorded the SW versions so couldn't see what modules got updated. I have all SW recorded now so can tell if anything changes...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Feb 12th, 2020 at 20:59.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: