Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7675

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2019, 21:34   #101
atco

Default fuel pump

good result today i managed to get the 740 going today.i put a 12v battery connected by two wires on to the fuel pump and presto the car started up but some what idling very badly and a very strong smell of bad fuel so do i put the meths in the tank or shall i drain the tank.also the car won,t start without being connected to the 12v battery. the fuel pump wont work on the key although the pump is working.so i think there is a couple of things going on with this car bad fuel that stinks really bad which is causing the idle problem.if i can stable the engine by way of a feeder tank with fresh fuel then cure the problem then find out why the cars not starting on the key.when i crank the engine on the key the pump dont work
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 21:46   #102
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
good result today i managed to get the 740 going today.i put a 12v battery connected by two wires on to the fuel pump and presto the car started up but some what idling very badly and a very strong smell of bad fuel so do i put the meths in the tank or shall i drain the tank.also the car won,t start without being connected to the 12v battery. the fuel pump wont work on the key although the pump is working.so i think there is a couple of things going on with this car bad fuel that stinks really bad which is causing the idle problem.if i can stable the engine by way of a feeder tank with fresh fuel then cure the problem then find out why the cars not starting on the key.when i crank the engine on the key the pump dont work
The only reason for that is either the fuel pump relay is faulty or the ignition system is not providing sparks , The coil pulses which produce the spark also keep the fuel pump relay closed . As you had a few back fires before it stopped i suspect the sparks department .
Old May 28th, 2019, 21:59   #103
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Add the meths to the tank, if the fuel is contaminated with water as i suspect it is, it will combine with the water and fuel to form an emuslion which the engine can burn - at the moment it keeps getting a slug of water every so often.

You're obviously geting a spark because otherwise it wouldn't have run, it's possible the engine is running too slowly to keep the fuel pump relay energised. You could also try swapping the good battery you used to feed the pump with the battery on the car. It's not unknown for a battery to go duff yet still spin the engine over happily while not providing enough power for the igniton as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 23:02   #104
atco

Default fuel pump

just to say it was only a small motorbike battery to feed the fuel from the pump to the engine but worked great .im still waiting for delivery on the meths but as soon as i get it ill put it in the tank as you suggested.ive just put a new relay on the car but dont think its that you also might be right about the relay as it dont click on the turning the ignition.ive also checked the fuse number one and pump relay and there ok.and i will change the battery over tomorow and put a different one on so im slowly getting it together.so if i feed fresh fuel directly into the engine i wont no if the relay is being energised and also makes sense about the moisture in the fuel coursing the engine to idle badly also backfired again today on starting up while it was trying to start.
Old May 28th, 2019, 23:21   #105
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
First time you did listen and did follow some (of my) instructions
Clapp Clapp

Next step : drain the fuel and don't try to use it. The k-jetronic is very sensitive to bad fuel and will be irreparable destroyed.

Don't even try to feed the engine direcalypso with fuel for this reason.
You will destroy the fuel distributor with your talent.

Next step: post the colour and number of the relay you did swap.

And: the the tacho jump at idle?

Don't try anything else till you got more instructions.

Tomorrow I will be on the road full day. I'm curious what will be destroyed tomorrow because you won't follow again.

Good night, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 23:21   #106
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It'll do all that if it's on gash fuel. Get a decent, fully charged battery under the bonnet, should be an 027 designation but an 096 or 100 is the upgrade.

Also check all the earths on the battery to engine, battery to bodyshell etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 29th, 2019, 06:34   #107
atco

Default fuel pump

hi dave do i still continue to put the meths in or as kay is sugesting to drain the swomp and do it that way .also what is a tacho jump
The Following User Says Thank You to atco For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:47   #108
aardvarkash10
Master Member

I'd do both. K-jet are HIGHLY susceptible to problems with water in fuel as well as poor quality fuel. Belts and braces.

Tacho jump refers to the needle on the rev counter if it is fitted. Not sure if yours has one. Sudden movements of the needle that don't directly relate to engine speed indicate an ignition fault.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2019, 08:54   #109
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Drain as much of the suspect fuel as you can - won't be easy without removing the tank though.
If you can't get the tank and/or the dodgy fuel out, add the 4L of meths in one go.

If you can get the dodgy fuel out, put a maximum of 4 gallons (18L) of fresh fuel in from a clean can and a known good filling station and add 2L of meths. This will give a total contents of 20L, out of which, 2L will be meths. Simple maths shows :

2/20 = 10% which is the ideal concentration of meths to petrol for effective dewaterising.

Chances are the fixing bolts for the tank will be rusted so you may not be able to get the tank and therefore the fuel out of it.

Old May 29th, 2019, 08:56   #110
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
I'd do both. K-jet are HIGHLY susceptible to problems with water in fuel as well as poor quality fuel. Belts and braces.

Tacho jump refers to the needle on the rev counter if it is fitted. Not sure if yours has one. Sudden movements of the needle that don't directly relate to engine speed indicate an ignition fault.
As far as i know Ash, all UK 7xx had tachos.

Have to say thogh, i always thought "taco jump" was a tasty south American snack made with Mexican Jumping Beans!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: