Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026059

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 20:47   #251
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think so Alan but double-check which powers up with a 12V test lamp when you switch full beam on.
I have a very clever little smart multimeter, I'll use that to run a check, but I think I have it right.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 16:38   #252
Othen
Premier Member

Default Fog Lamps

The fog lamps job is done, it is all much tidier now (thank you Dave) and safely controlled by a relay. I powered the switch from the same fuse on the board as the rear fog lamps (I think it was fuse 14 - controlled by the main light switch). I may take the Royal Barge out for a test once it gets dark.

I think the Royal Barge is considerably smartened up without the roof spoiler and wing mirrors and with the fog lights and grille mounted properly as well as the correct tyres. I'm enjoying making subtle improvements to the car:

I'm not sure about putting the driving lamps back on, they would have to fit in the space directly in front of the grille, and so might make everything look a bit fussy. They remain an option - but I'll work through my list of jobs first.

I took the opportunity (as I almost always do) to tidy up some other scruffiness - the radio's permanent feed is now moved from direct to the battery to a fuse - I think #9 (hazard warning lights), which is better and doesn't need an unnecessary conductor running through the bulkhead.

I'm pleased to say that the 50050 switch arrived in the mail today, so I can get on with flushing the cooling system, changing the thermostat and fitting it. I'm not expecting the fan and interior switch until about Monday, but the cleaned out system should be all ready for it when it arrives.

Another question if I may: how long should it take the fuel gauge to reach its proper position? The Royal Barge probably takes over a minute, but when it gets there it seems to work okay.

Many thanks for all the help and comments.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 27th, 2020 at 17:10. Reason: Spelling and grammar.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 19:00   #253
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
how long should it take the fuel gauge to reach its proper position? The Royal Barge probably takes over a minute,

That's about right in my experience - about as long as the engine takes to warm up.

Mine have always under-read for ages, possibly longer than a minute.
It means you put the car away aware that the fuel is a bit low, then panic when you start next morning and think there's much less than you remember, then experience relief as it slowly rises again.
The other thing is the gauge seems much more influenced by whether you are going up or down hill when it is very low, so if you start off going uphill it can read empty until the voltage stabliser warms up and the road levels out.

I don't know why they make them like that - the gauge on my old Land-Rover just jumps instantly to its correct reading the moment I turn the key.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 19:57   #254
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking good Alan and the fogs look good too!

A minor criticism/observation, could be camera angle but it looks as if the ends of the fogs are slightly inboard of the ends of the number plate (if you dropped a line from each and of the plate) and if memory serves, number plates are 550mm x 110mm or thereabouts.

According to the Destruction & Abuse Regs (Construction & Use) front fogs should be no closer than 600mm apart.

However, and it's a big HOWEVER, i've never been able to find (because it doesn't say and none of the Traffic Police who should know, don't) out if that's the inboard edges of the fogs or the centres of them.

That said, it would have to be a Right-Royal-Ocean-Going-Jobsworth-of-a-Copper that firstly knows the answer to that and secondly notices then thirdly mentions it.

I wouldn't worry about it but if you do get stopped (highly unlikely) if the centres of the fogs are 600mm or more, you can argue that. If the inboard edges of the lights are 600mm+ then again, definitely nothing to worry about.

Certainly a vast improvement over a couple of weeks ago when you first got it!

As for the driving lights, the dimensions are 130 x 70mm if memory serves, how would you feel about cutting that size slots/holes in the radiator grille so you could build them in to the grille? This was a very popular 80s modification so would go with the overall theme of the car and looks a lot better than sitting upside-down-pendant style on the bumper.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 20:53   #255
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
That's about right in my experience - about as long as the engine takes to warm up.

Mine have always under-read for ages, possibly longer than a minute.
It means you put the car away aware that the fuel is a bit low, then panic when you start next morning and think there's much less than you remember, then experience relief as it slowly rises again.
The other thing is the gauge seems much more influenced by whether you are going up or down hill when it is very low, so if you start off going uphill it can read empty until the voltage stabliser warms up and the road levels out.

I don't know why they make them like that - the gauge on my old Land-Rover just jumps instantly to its correct reading the moment I turn the key.
Thank you for that, I'm pleased to hear that the Royal Barge isn't unusual in this respect (I didn't fancy messing around with the fuel sender :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 27th, 2020 at 21:28.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 21:15   #256
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Looking good Alan and the fogs look good too!

A minor criticism/observation, could be camera angle but it looks as if the ends of the fogs are slightly inboard of the ends of the number plate (if you dropped a line from each and of the plate) and if memory serves, number plates are 550mm x 110mm or thereabouts.

According to the Destruction & Abuse Regs (Construction & Use) front fogs should be no closer than 600mm apart.

However, and it's a big HOWEVER, i've never been able to find (because it doesn't say and none of the Traffic Police who should know, don't) out if that's the inboard edges of the fogs or the centres of them.

That said, it would have to be a Right-Royal-Ocean-Going-Jobsworth-of-a-Copper that firstly knows the answer to that and secondly notices then thirdly mentions it.

I wouldn't worry about it but if you do get stopped (highly unlikely) if the centres of the fogs are 600mm or more, you can argue that. If the inboard edges of the lights are 600mm+ then again, definitely nothing to worry about.

Certainly a vast improvement over a couple of weeks ago when you first got it!

As for the driving lights, the dimensions are 130 x 70mm if memory serves, how would you feel about cutting that size slots/holes in the radiator grille so you could build them in to the grille? This was a very popular 80s modification so would go with the overall theme of the car and looks a lot better than sitting upside-down-pendant style on the bumper.
... you are right Dave, the lights are 700mm between centres - I'd read the regulations as meaning between centres rather than absolute distances. It wouldn't be all that difficult to move them I suppose (except there is a large energy absorbing member right above where I really wanted to put them). I'm not sure there is much chance of the plod getting very excited about them, so I'll leave them at least for the time being.

I had to pop out to the grocery store and tried the fogs out on a quiet piece of road with no one coming the other way - they are quite good and provide a flood of light low down and close to the car - I'm pleased with them.

I'm still thinking about the driving lights. My grille is 600mm wide and the rectangular lights are 140mm each, so if I spaced them evenly (say about 90-140-90-140-90) I can't help thinking it would look pretty cluttered. I'm not so keen about cutting the grille, because of the headlamps I suspect mine is quite rare, so it might be a one way journey. I quite like the look of the fogs though, so I may well change my mind in a few days.

I'm glad you approve of the car, I like the retro look. I was at Morrison's gas station the other day and the Royal Barge got a real compliment from the young lad at the cash register- he thought the it looked really cool (it turned out that his dad has a MGB GT, so he is keen on classic cars).

If you had a minute would you cast an eye over the fan control circuit - if you can understand my diagram of course!

I'm still waiting on some components, so this probably won't happen until the middle of next week.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 27th, 2020 at 21:18.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 23:31   #257
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If the front fogs are 700mm between centres thenbecause of the ambiguity in he Regs, i'd call it good Alan.

I'll do a sketch of what i was thinking on the grille, bearing in mind you have the Volvo badge and diagonal stripe to take into account.

The fan circuit should work fine, i like the fact you've taken the feed for the tell-tale light in the switch from the motor +ve which monitors actual motor feed rather than relay feed.

Forgot to mention the fuel gauge in my earlier reply - much as Clifford said really, they were pretty heavily camped unlike the one in my 760 (now if finally works after resoldering the PCB - a thin plastic film one no less!) as that goes straight to the indicated level on start up.

As i park facing slightly downhill and the pick-up/pump/sender unit on mine is at the back of the tank, it reads a little low.
As i get onto the flat, it rises a little and rises more when i go uphill. Thankfully it's damped enough so that it doesn't swing around like a confused windscreen wiper like the old SD1s did!
Every car is different though so you'll get used to what's normal for yours.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 06:07   #258
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
If the front fogs are 700mm between centres thenbecause of the ambiguity in he Regs, i'd call it good Alan.

I'll do a sketch of what i was thinking on the grille, bearing in mind you have the Volvo badge and diagonal stripe to take into account.

The fan circuit should work fine, i like the fact you've taken the feed for the tell-tale light in the switch from the motor +ve which monitors actual motor feed rather than relay feed.

Forgot to mention the fuel gauge in my earlier reply - much as Clifford said really, they were pretty heavily camped unlike the one in my 760 (now if finally works after resoldering the PCB - a thin plastic film one no less!) as that goes straight to the indicated level on start up.

As i park facing slightly downhill and the pick-up/pump/sender unit on mine is at the back of the tank, it reads a little low.
As i get onto the flat, it rises a little and rises more when i go uphill. Thankfully it's damped enough so that it doesn't swing around like a confused windscreen wiper like the old SD1s did!
Every car is different though so you'll get used to what's normal for yours.
Many thanks Dave,

I think the fog lamps will be okay where they are - it would have been tricky (but not impossible) to move them to say 850mm because of the crash stanchion that runs above that area, and any further out would have impeded the ramps for getting under the car. I mocked it up first and 700mm seemed to be the best compromise that would not risk the attention of the boys in blue.

It would be interesting to see your thoughts on the grille. The one I have is quite brittle (the two tabs that fit into slots at the bottom had been snapped off, some years ago I think, so I've had to replaces then with steel corner brackets, which work well and position the grille at the correct angle). I don't think it would take rough treatment, but the lights might look smart of mounted sympathetically - retaining the badge and diagonal.

Thank you for confirming the fan cct - my diagram (ripped from my estimates book) was not the same quality as are yours!

Many thanks yo you and Clifford for confirming my suspicions about the fuel gauge - it is a somewhat slow starter! I carry a gas can inside the spare tyre - just in case it is not telling me the whole truth :-)

I've ordered an old fashioned pull up telescopic radio antenna (like the one I had in 1985) to replace the rubber 'lady's dildo' one and enhance the retro look. I think the Royal Barge looks (and goes) much better as it heads back towards a more standard specification (but I like some bits - such as the wheels and the black stripes). I was thinking of getting rid of the tints on the front windows, I'm not sure they add very much to the car.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 28th, 2020 at 07:18. Reason: Grammar.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 07:56   #259
Dippydog
Premier Member

While contributing nothing useful to this thread I'm loving reading this sympathetic recommissioning.It's coming on really well and looking good!From a personal taste point of view I think if it could be done without damage I'd "lose" the Volvo badging from the mirror backs,but that's just me.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 08:24   #260
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
While contributing nothing useful to this thread I'm loving reading this sympathetic recommissioning.It's coming on really well and looking good!From a personal taste point of view I think if it could be done without damage I'd "lose" the Volvo badging from the mirror backs,but that's just me.
Totally agree, 'D.D.'. Both 'Othen's enthusiasm and obvious delight in his car, and the response of many knowledgeable and equally enthusiastic members, show the forum at it's best. I too am enjoying the ongoing saga of the Royal Barge!

Regards, John.

P.S. Regarding 'Othen's dilemma concerning refitting his driving lights - I've a feeling in my water that back in the day Volvo offered a modified grille with inset driving lamps as a dealer fit option. I've been searching my old catalogues for a mention - I'm sure I've seen it somewhere - but no joy so far!

J.