Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144 (Jane) off to the restorer's on Monday for surgery!

Views : 5547

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 00:47   #21
80sRich

Hi, thanks for the tips guys, now I will be the first to admit I have no idea what I am talking about, but from my memory all the rusty metal was cut out of that rear wheel arch. That is quite an old picture now, I'll just be pleased to get it back after so long. Just have to hope my new garage for it is built in time!
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:29   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'm always very dubious when I see repairs made that only appear to be held together with dabs of weld. Some here are getting on for 2" apart. Is it the norm now to not have a continuous weld and rely on the filler to hold it all together? "Filler" shouldn't actually be that, should just be for smoothing and light levelling. If you skim "filler" over this type of repair you may well end up, after sanding down, with it paper thin where it bridges the gaps. That won't be a very good base for the paint. Don't press on those areas too hard!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 22:23   #23
80sRich

So went to see it today to take up some parts for them to finish it off. Took a few pictures as well.
I am very very pleased with how it looks. Should be done next week.

The guys were very pleased to get their hands on the new sports exhaust from Brookhouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14102010320.jpg (228.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 14102010321.jpg (207.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 14102010322.jpg (266.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 14102010323.jpg (306.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 14102010324.jpg (261.1 KB, 37 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 80sRich For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 08:02   #24
ALLOA
Master Member

Hi! Thanks for the pics & I hope that the wait to get it back on the road has been worth it. I'm just about to start on my 1970 140. I'm planning to rebuild the suspension over the winter, do any welding required and then get some paint on to it for the Spring. There are some bubbles of rust along the windscreen trim but hopefully this will only be on the surface (famous last words!)
I'll get some pics up when I start.

Cheers

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ALLOA For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 23:20   #25
80sRich

Popped up there today to give them some cash and took a picture whilst I was there (see below).

Was booked in for it's MOT at 2pm. (The guys were taking care of that as an apology for having the car so long).

Shouldn't be too long now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20102010327.jpg (253.5 KB, 30 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to 80sRich For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:45   #26
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOA View Post
I'm just about to start on my 1970 140. I'm planning to rebuild the suspension over the winter, do any welding required and then get some paint on to it for the Spring.
Excellent - look forward to the photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOA View Post
There are some bubbles of rust along the windscreen trim but hopefully this will only be on the surface (famous last words!)
Mmm... best of luck with that - but it won't be!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:47   #27
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sRich View Post
Popped up there today to give them some cash and took a picture whilst I was there (see below).

Was booked in for it's MOT at 2pm. (The guys were taking care of that as an apology for having the car so long).

Shouldn't be too long now!
Great, nearly there then. (I hope they haven't lost the doors...)

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 20:15   #28
80sRich

Default It's Back

So 13 months later I finally have her back.
See attached photograph.

The bad news is that it has been keyed on the drivers door and the bonnet so it needs to go back to the restorer when he has the paint remapped.

Somewhere on the restoration the boot rubber and drivers door rubber have gone missing so I shall be ordering replacement ones from Amazon cars tomorrow.

Also, and this is something I might need help with, the fuel gauge and temperature gauge have both stopped working. I have tested both ends against the body work and neither gauge showed anything. Should I assume that something the restorer has done has ruined both gauges and just order new ones (if available?)

As usual all help welcome.

I'll upload more pictures when I have the camera out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 205024_10150546875600710_593995709_18261499_1540910_n.jpg (58.4 KB, 44 views)
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:29   #29
laptoprob

Default Wow

Wow. Just wow.

About the gauges: check the wiring at the back of the clock-block. It's fiddly to get it out, but on mine one of the connecting wire clips was damaged.
If both gauges stop working at the same time, I don't believe the gauges are faulty. Not likely anyway.

cheers, Rob
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 22:16   #30
Dibble
VOC Member

Hi Rich, your car looking well. Presumably you got your MOT. I thought my Amazon would have been on the road by this time but it seems to be dragging on and so I am trying to be very patient. She is looking well but might still be a couple of weeks before I get her MOT'd. This is the problem with having to wait for my friends with the necessary skills. How I admire those guys who can do it all without having to rely on others.
Soon. Very soon! How I am looking forward to driving her on the road. I have named her Ulla after Ulla at Volvo HQ, Gothenburg who has been very helpful in supplying me with information on the car - and it sounds a lovely Swedish girls name.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote