Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 V70 2.5T CD Auto - spares or repair.

Views : 1327

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2023, 09:27   #1
richmac

Default 1998 V70 2.5T CD Auto - spares or repair.

For sale due to no compression on #4 cylinder caused by a suspected exhaust valve fault, (only my own assessment, however).

1997/98 V70 2.5T CD Auto, 200k, dark blue, leather/alcantara grey? interior. Stage zeroed 2 years ago with Volvo/OEM parts.

Driveable but very shaky at idle and around 2000rpm or low rpm under load. Is almost normal above 3000rpm. The car has done about 700 miles out of necessity on 4 cylinders without change.

For MOT history, current reg is OUI 1225 but is absolutely not included and will revert to R969MJF. MOT due August.

It’s not rare or a future classic!! It’s going to the scrap yard if no-one wants it but it would be a shame for it not to be harvested or maybe saved at a push. I’ve listed what I think will be of interest outside of the main bulk as they are recent parts. It used to go to garages and the dealership until I lost faith and have done all the work myself since including regular servicing.

2 sets (x4) of Perfos; one set with Crossclimate+ and one with Crossclimate 2. Tyres are good but all wheels need a refurb.
Witter tow bar. Used twice (to tow a sailing dinghy ½ mile).
Volvo rubber mats and hard boot tray.
SC901 stereo with the amp setup.

Work +parts from last couple of years:

Cat back exhaust – Volvo
Heater matrix - Behr
A/c compressor – unknown brand as fitted by French garage
Power steering pump – Meyle
Leads – Magnecore reds.
Cap and rotor - Bosch
Full Volvo cambelt kit including water pump.
Aux belt and tensioner pulley – Conti/Volvo
Volvo PCV kit.
All vacuum lines including NRVs and vapour solenoid –Bosch.
Turbo bypass valve diaphragm – FCP
TCV – Pierburg
Headlights and front indicators – PFV Swedish
Front and Rear callipers – PFV Swedish
All disks and pads – Volvo
Hand brake shoes – Volvo
The usual 3 engine mounts/ bushes - Volvo
ABS unit re-soldered. Only by me but it’s lasting well
Cam seals by main dealer for the big MOT oil leak.
Rear wiper mechanism.
Driver’s door switch pack – Volvo
Both delta link bushes
Both front drop links
Both rear shock mounts/bushes.
Fuel cap + stay- Volvo
Parts included:
Front coil top mounts and and bearings – Meyle + Lemforder (right side bearing failed).

The car is scruffy outside but clean, dog and smoke free inside. I’ve used it as a normal car but most of the last 100k has been motorway driving. It was rigged for motability at some point and the front right control for the front left window was the raising and lowering button for the lift. As such, you can’t lower the front left from the right but you can raise it.
It needs a new Cat and it has an exhaust/manifold leak ivo the flange.
Everything else works as it should except the headlamp washers, which I’ve removed, but it also has lots of imperfections. The driver’s door strap is disconnected as the wing mount needs the usual weld; the driver’s door latch isn’t perfect but hasn’t changed for 5 years. The load cover doesn’t retract. There is a decent area of rust bubbling on the front wing behind the indicator. It has a minor oil seap/leak that I can’t find. Nivomats and or rear coils are getting a bit tired.

I don’t want to break it for parts yet but may do if no-one wants it as a whole. That said, the Perfos with CC+s are available for collection independently for £100.

£500 for a lot of car or a lot of parts (scrap value alone is nearly £300 now).
Please feel free to ask any questions, ask for particular photographs or pass comment. The car is in Bath.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2023, 11:54   #2
britten_mark

Hi there, can I have first dibs on the Perfos and cross climates if they have some life left in them? Just an idea of depths or age would do, can I PM you with email details?

Last edited by britten_mark; May 16th, 2023 at 11:58.
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2023, 12:00   #3
britten_mark

PS if you do end up breaking I would take the rubber floor mats and possibly boot tray also.
Old May 16th, 2023, 19:46   #4
bob12
bob12

DM sent. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2023, 13:55   #5
britten_mark

Thanks for the pictures Rich, but I just noticed the tyres on the wheels that are off the car (Crossclimate +s) are 205/55R16 so not quite the right size. I've seen cars such fitted and they don't look quite right to my eyes. Can I just bow out for now, but I will give it some thought and get back if things change.
Old May 17th, 2023, 18:16   #6
richmac

Hi Mark,

Yes. of course. No problem at all.

I can't seem to edit my ad so for anyone interested:

Both sets of CCs are 205/55R16. The CC+s on the spares are 94V XL and the CC2s are 91W. Tread on the CC+s is 5-7-5 and a bit less on the CC2s.
I've always run this size without issue but I appreciate that these are slightly different to the OEM 205/50R16 size from 1998. They are the same width but give a 2.9% diameter change.

BR,

Rich.
Old May 17th, 2023, 20:50   #7
4x4
Premier Member

205/55R16 will rub ever so slightly on the inner arches when on full lock.

205/50R16 will/should not rub on full lock
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2023, 21:14   #8
richmac

Hi,

I in no way want to sway people but I can confirm that they don't on mine with stock suspension. This size was actually the OEM for the AWD V70s, which is where I first used them.

BR.
Old May 18th, 2023, 09:48   #9
britten_mark

Hi Rich, I know quite a few people run the 55 size as they were fitted by Volvo in some markets/models, just to my eyes they look a bit "chubby"!

These wheels would just be winter fitment and I doubt my father in law (the end user!) would be as bothered as I am, or even notice! I just have to factor in the fuel cost of a long journey vs buying tyres of my preferred size on the doorstep as I do have a set of spare Perfos already set aside for this purpose.

Will get back to you once Ive worked it out in my muddy head!
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 14:11   #10
richmac

Afternoon all,

Sadly, it's off to be crushed on Friday 23rd. RIP to another Mk1.

At the moment, the new, unfitted, front top mounts and bearings will be available along with the CC2 wheel set and rubber tray mats.

BR,

Rich.