Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car won't start (immobiliser)

Views : 35997

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 16:03   #1
V40 Owner

Default Car won't start (immobiliser)

Argh!

Only got the car a few days ago, and now it won't start. Immobiliser light flashing...

Of course, part of this may be my own fault. Yesterday, and today, I was seeing how far away the fob will open the car and then all this happens. I read in the helpful owners manual:

Do not try to operate the doors from too great a distance or you may trigger the immobiliser

Among further weirdnesses, I noticed the other day that the rear fog lights don't work. I got a Haynes manual with the car (Is this a good or a bad sign?!) and looked it up ... Fuse 4 in the bulkhead - horn, alarm, rear fogs. Funnily, the horn doesn't seem to work either. Perhaps the fuse has blown or the previous owner disconnected it. Haven't dared look yet unless I unearth a whole series more of problems ...

So. It looks like I have a car that MAY have an alarm problem, and the immobiliser seems to have tripped. How do I reset the immobiliser?

Some reading around here and there suggested going through the lock/unlock cycle five times with the remote should reset it. No joy there. How exactly are you supposed to do it? I mean, people say 'lock/unlock' which implies one must first unlock the car; so is there anything special I should do in that respect? i.e. should I unlock it with the key or the fob? Should I relock it with the key first? I dunno ...

Other posts on here suggest that faulty bonnet switches and/or faulty wiring under the radiator can cause the immobiliser/alarm to trigger; same story for boot. At the moment I haven't had a look at any of that as it was suggested elsewhere that if left for five hours the immobiliser would reset, so I am trying that just now ... unless anyone has any better ideas?

Hope someone can provide some helpful suggestions, thanks ...

e2a: Forgot to clarify - the car is an S-reg (1998) 2.0 V40 ... anything more exact than that, then I'd have to go downstairs and look at it ...

Last edited by V40 Owner; Feb 14th, 2009 at 16:19.
V40 Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 19:32   #2
V40 Owner

Hmm, for the curious, I got the car to start (eventually) by closing/opening the doors five times with the remote, then ignition off-II-off-II-off-II and then click-click-click-click on the remote to re-pair the immobiliser and fob. Overall, not a good sign?

Although I did get it going that way, when I subsequently stopped at services after a wee thrash, it did it again. Second time I stopped, it seems to have stayed 'paired' OK.

Wonky aerial?

e2a: I mean drive, sorry. One doesn't 'thrash' a V40
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 19:45   #3
samoilis1970
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40 Owner View Post
Argh!

Only got the car a few days ago, and now it won't start. Immobiliser light flashing...

Of course, part of this may be my own fault. Yesterday, and today, I was seeing how far away the fob will open the car and then all this happens. I read in the helpful owners manual:

Do not try to operate the doors from too great a distance or you may trigger the immobiliser

Among further weirdnesses, I noticed the other day that the rear fog lights don't work. I got a Haynes manual with the car (Is this a good or a bad sign?!) and looked it up ... Fuse 4 in the bulkhead - horn, alarm, rear fogs. Funnily, the horn doesn't seem to work either. Perhaps the fuse has blown or the previous owner disconnected it. Haven't dared look yet unless I unearth a whole series more of problems ...

So. It looks like I have a car that MAY have an alarm problem, and the immobiliser seems to have tripped. How do I reset the immobiliser?

Some reading around here and there suggested going through the lock/unlock cycle five times with the remote should reset it. No joy there. How exactly are you supposed to do it? I mean, people say 'lock/unlock' which implies one must first unlock the car; so is there anything special I should do in that respect? i.e. should I unlock it with the key or the fob? Should I relock it with the key first? I dunno ...

Other posts on here suggest that faulty bonnet switches and/or faulty wiring under the radiator can cause the immobiliser/alarm to trigger; same story for boot. At the moment I haven't had a look at any of that as it was suggested elsewhere that if left for five hours the immobiliser would reset, so I am trying that just now ... unless anyone has any better ideas?

Hope someone can provide some helpful suggestions, thanks ...

e2a: Forgot to clarify - the car is an S-reg (1998) 2.0 V40 ... anything more exact than that, then I'd have to go downstairs and look at it ...
Hi my v40 used to have the same problem with the immobiliser,I recon you have a loose connection under the steering collum.Give it a knock with your hand,I did the same on my and it is fine now.Also if that doesn't work take the cover off and look out for a loose connections ,I Hope that helps.
samoilis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:51   #4
V40 Owner

Update: So far the status is:

- Got the car going (or know how to get it going).
- Fixed the horn/foglights (blown fuse)

However, the alarm seems to be disconnected (a relay is missing). Now I'm just fine with leaving it disconnected since in the unlikely event the car was nicked (presuming they could bypass the immobiliser) the fact that the relay was missing (making the alarm inoperative) would not be seen as unusual if the vehicle was recovered ... From reading about on here it's likely the alarm's gone faulty at some time and I don't know if fixing it is worth the trouble.

Is it worth my time trying to get the alarm working again (once I conclusively sort my immobiliser problem)?
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 14:40   #5
S40nTexas

Default Immobizer bypass

Good Day! I just purchased a 2005 Volvo S40T and the 2 "constants" in all the on-line reviews I read reference 1) problems with the engine immobilizer and 2) an issue with oil shortening the lifespan of the timing belt. What I would like to ask of members on this forum is can the immobilizer be bypassed altogether and, if so, would you be so kind as to provide the steps? Thank you in advance.
S40nTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 17:11   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40nTexas View Post
Good Day! I just purchased a 2005 Volvo S40T and the 2 "constants" in all the on-line reviews I read reference 1) problems with the engine immobilizer and 2) an issue with oil shortening the lifespan of the timing belt. What I would like to ask of members on this forum is can the immobilizer be bypassed altogether and, if so, would you be so kind as to provide the steps? Thank you in advance.
Hi. I am afraid you have posted in the wrong section. This section is for the MK1 1996-2004 S40 and V40. Try posting a new thread here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58 and hopefully they will be able to help you with your problem.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote