Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Caravanners - 8th April - Devon & Cornwall going digital---

Views : 1100

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 13:03   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default Caravanners - 8th April - Devon & Cornwall going digital---

which means if you are caravanning down there after this date and don't have digital receiving equipment you won't get tv reception. Maplin currently have a sale of necessary equipment

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 01:28   #2
Tibbsey23
NineForty Nuts!

On this note, just FYI, as at the moment I am working away I am spending most nights of the week in my caravan away from the joys of t'internet and such, I have spent some time getting the TV issue sorted!

I opted to go for a boosted house aerial from B&Q as it was suitable for all signal strengths... perhaps a mistake, when considering the hassle up to an omni directional one?! Each to their own I suppose!

I spent a week with little or no TV as i got fed up with walking in and out of the van, moving the aerial, rechecking and repeat... so this is what I do
  • First off, know where you are going to camp
  • find it on maps.google.co.uk,
  • right click on the pitch (dont worry about being 100%, so long as you are clicking near the right field!), select get directions from/to, so long as you didn't click on a road it should put the address of the camp as something along the lines of 50.912155,0.957723. Make a note of this.
  • Go to www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ and enter the postcode of the site (dont worry about house name or number), this will tell you the nearest transmitter
  • Go to en.wikipedia.org and search for that transmitter, it will usually be under X transmitting station, for example "Dover transmitting station"
  • Find the coordinates on that page, in this example 51° 6′ 42″ N, 1° 14′ 51″ E, click on these and this will take you to a geohack page, this will give you the coordinates in the same format as google, in this case 51.111667, 1.2475
  • Now open up www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html and scroll down to "Rhumb lines". Paste the coordinates of the camp in the top 2 boxes, and those of the transmitter in the bottom and click calculate bearing, in this example the result is 042°25′17″
  • Rock up to your camp site, put up your aerial, whip out your compass and turn the aerial to 42 degrees. Job done

I've done this now on 3 sites and have had perfect digital signal every time, its a bit long winded and there must be somewhere that will do it all for you, but its fairly straight forwards and works well!!

Distant Past: 1988 745 GL B200E
Past: 1993 945 S B200F
Present: 1996 945 CD B230FT
South West Volvo Group
Tibbsey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tibbsey23 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:49   #3
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Tv

[QUOTE=Tibbsey23;487441]On this note, just FYI, as at the moment I am working away I am spending most nights of the week in my caravan away from the joys of t'internet and such, I have spent some time getting the TV issue sorted!

I opted to go for a boosted house aerial from B&Q as it was suitable for all signal strengths... perhaps a mistake, when considering the hassle up to an omni directional one?! Each to their own I suppose!

I spent a week with little or no TV as i got fed up with walking in and out of the van, moving the aerial, rechecking and repeat... so this is what I do

Hi they best way to be sure of getting reception is via free to air . the equipment is cheap from maplins and easy to set up the set up in a case is brilliant [ I use one at home] you get many more stations all the beeb itv all the plus etc with the advertising ones I get in excess of 250 channels about 20/20 dedicated film alone + about 6 news chans.
a 60cm dish would be best for north scotland north Wales and down in the south of Cornwall .
Your old Sky reciever wiull be fine.
Only prob is getting used to the different chan no`s but that`
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:58   #4
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Tv

[QUOTE=Tibbsey23;487441]

Hi they best way to be sure of getting reception is via free to air . the equipment is cheap from maplins and easy to set up the set up in a case is brilliant [ I use one at home] you get many more stations all the beeb itv all the plus etc with the advertising ones I get in excess of 250 channels about 20/25 dedicated film alone + about 6 news chans.
a 60cm dish would be best for north scotland north Wales and down in the south of Cornwall .
Your old Sky reciever will be fine.
Only prob is getting used to the different chan no`s but that` not difficult
I have used this method for over 20 years , with no problems. Iv`e installed my own equipment since the early 16chanel days.including BSB.
Still use the dish. ie squarial LOL.
If you need any help mail me .
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 01:08   #5
dazphil

Default lidl

I purchased a camping freeview satelite system from Lidl it includes a small reciever, dish (small but I live in devon and travel to cornwall a lot and it worked fine). it comes with a clamp for mounting on a pole (I put a pole in the clamp for the jockey wheel) and it comes with a stand with a flet base and 3 large suckers so you can mount it on the caravan roof. Its easy to set up as it comes with a special compass with all the satelites marked on it and the reciever shows a signal strength meter on TV screen and emits a loud tone that goes up and down in pitch as you move the dish around. When it hits its highest pitch or around 70 on the meter you get a perfect picture. Personally I prefer to take my home sky box as well as I then get all the channels i subscribe to but the freesat is very good too. This costs aroung £60 when they have them in.

1984 240 2.0 GLE (long gone)
1988 740 2.0 GLE (sold)
1993 940 2.0 S (died)
940 2.3 Classic LPT (current)
2005 21' Sprite Alpine 4 (fixed bed) (5th caravan)
dazphil is offline   Reply With Quote