Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

After service Oil issues

Views : 968

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2019, 15:14   #11
Ashil1973
New Member
 

Last Online: Sep 16th, 2019 08:15
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ipswich
Default

Well I went to local garage and they checked the oil by draining it out and seeing how much there was. Then refilled and reset the sensor took it for a test drive and it seems to have sorted it out. So cancelled my appointment with Volvo. But will keep an eye on it for the next fee days just incase it comes back.
Ashil1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashil1973 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 15:22   #12
Ashil1973
New Member
 

Last Online: Sep 16th, 2019 08:15
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ipswich
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
The electronic dipstick can be reset by Volvo dealers through VIDA to reset the oil level reading. This is just a short cut to prevent oil level warning messages until the system has otherwise reset itself.

Without the VIDA reset, and as long as you are certain that there is sufficient oil in the engine, the system will have reset itself after a journey of approximately 30 km and standing on a level surface with the engine off for more than 5 minutes.
Hi I know Volvo would do that, for a price of 150 +VAT. Which to be honest I wasn't prepared to pay. They were only taking advantage of me as I didn't service my car at Volvo. As I spoke to a different Volvo service station and they quoted me less.
Ashil1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 15:24   #13
Ashil1973
New Member
 

Last Online: Sep 16th, 2019 08:15
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ipswich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what car and engine have you got ?
Is it later than 2014 with the new 4 cylinder engine ??
Yes it is a 2016 V40 R Design 4 cylinder 2 liter.
Ashil1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 20:54   #14
volvo for ever
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Sep 24th, 2019 07:28
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: uk
Default

When changing oil and filter you must reset oil calculated level
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 21:09   #15
Zebster
Master Member
 
Zebster's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:09
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ludlow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
When changing oil and filter you must reset oil calculated level
I realise that is the official instruction, but does anyone know why? I really don't get why the electronic dipstick has to be reset at every oil change. If it's really super accurate with no drift then surely it should be set during production and then never again touched? Resetting it at every change after the new oil has been loaded is just asking for trouble.
__________________
2015 V60 D4 181 (VEA) R-Design Lux Nav manual
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 09:08   #16
RS3100
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 16th, 2019 08:31
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Watford
Default

According to the text in VIDA, the instrument cluster oil level indication displays an average of the last three drive cycles. It will self correct without being reset, but because the indicated reading can be influenced by emptying and refilling the sump, especially if the car is also connected to VIDA and software updates or other service operations are being carried out which can cause the reading to deviate, the facility to software reset it exists to prevent spurious readings being presented to the customer immediately after a service until the system has had time to average its readings.

Yes, it is a stupid system, particularly as the oil level sensor itself sends accurate readings continuously. So designing the instrument indication to only work on readings averaged over a much longer period is dumbing things down to the extreme IMO.

At least for the VEA engine cars though, you can read the oil level directly from the sensor using the Torque android app with this custom PID:

Name "ShortName", "ModeAndPID", "Equation", "Min Value", "Max Value", "Units", "Header", "startDiagnostic", "stopDiagnostic", "Scale"

"Engine Oil Level", "Oil Level", "0x22da63", "float32(A:B:C)", "0", "65", "mm", , , , "1"

VIDA says this regarding the sensor levels:

"The vehicle must be located on a level surface and with the engine off for a while so that the read-out value is reliable. The time depends on the current oil temperature as hot oil runs down into the trough quicker than cold oil. The longer the engine is off, the more reliable the value from the sensor is. If the oil temperature is below 80C read off after 5 minutes minimum.

Hint: The 20 mm oil level (4.0 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the parameter for low oil level (yellow information lamp) and 12 mm (3.7 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the parameter for critically low oil level (red warning lamp).

The 51 mm oil level (5.4 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the parameter for high oil level. The parameters apply at an oil temperature of 20C."

My car (T2) had a 46mm oil level after its first service, and a 39mm oil level after its second service. Looking at the recommended service refill quantities for the VEA engines in the owners handbooks, the quantity keeps changing depending which model year handbook you read! It was originally 5.4 litres, then 5.9 litres and now stated as 5.2 litres. My Volvo dealer has been unable to explain why the recommended levels keep changing, but I intend doing my own oil changes from now on and will aim for 40-45 mm reading from the sensor after the filter has been refilled.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:11   #17
piotrek
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Sep 24th, 2019 09:19
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
It will self correct without being reset, but because the indicated reading can be influenced by emptying and refilling the sump, especially if the car is also connected to VIDA and software updates or other service operations are being carried out which can cause the reading to deviate, the facility to software reset it exists to prevent spurious readings being presented to the customer immediately after a service until the system has had time to average its readings.
So software reset after oil change is not necessary, only recommended, good news! Filling and warning levels indeed seem to differ among model years.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:34   #18
RS3100
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 16th, 2019 08:31
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Watford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
So software reset after oil change is not necessary, only recommended, good news! Filling and warning levels indeed seem to differ among model years.
The oil level is reported to the CEM by the oil level sensor in real time. In the "wisdom" of the system designers, the CEM only presents the driver with information that has been averaged over a longer time. Therefore the customer might drive away from the dealer with a low oil level warning displayed because the averaged reading includes oil levels reported whilst the sump was being emptied and refilled, and complain accordingly.

So the dealer resets the system to prevent that and the averaging as presented to the driver continues from a new baseline. Without the reset, the oil status presented to the driver will normalise after a while. So as long as you are certain that the oil level is actually OK (by knowing how much oil you have put into the sump and reading the level directly from the level sensor in real time during/after refilling, e.g. with Torque or suitable diagnostic equipment) you can ignore the warning.

Obviously dealers don't want to hand cars back to customers with warning or error messages displayed, so they reset the system first.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:27   #19
Zebster
Master Member
 
Zebster's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:09
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ludlow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
According to the text in VIDA, the instrument cluster oil level indication displays an average of the last three drive cycles. It will self correct without being reset, but because the indicated reading can be influenced by emptying and refilling the sump, especially if the car is also connected to VIDA and software updates or other service operations are being carried out which can cause the reading to deviate, the facility to software reset it exists to prevent spurious readings being presented to the customer immediately after a service until the system has had time to average its readings...
So it's merely a reset of the e-dipstick and not a system recalibration? Makes more sense now, and good news for any of us who want to perform DIY oil changes but don't have VIDA/DiCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
...Hint: The 20 mm oil level (4.0 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the parameter for low oil level (yellow information lamp) and 12 mm (3.7 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the parameter for critically low oil level (red warning lamp).

The 51 mm oil level (5.4 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the parameter for high oil level. The parameters apply at an oil temperature of 20C.".
Is this now for all VEA versions, whatever age?

I recently had an 'add 0.5L' message, not too long after a dealer service. Have added 0.5L of the correct oil, e-dipstick is now on max but the level (read using the Car Scanner app) is only 25.68mm (so a fair way down from what you're suggesting as the refill target).

Thanks for adding this VIDA info.
__________________
2015 V60 D4 181 (VEA) R-Design Lux Nav manual
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 12:39   #20
RS3100
New Member
 

Last Online: Oct 16th, 2019 08:31
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Watford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So it's merely a reset of the e-dipstick and not a system recalibration? Makes more sense now, and good news for any of us who want to perform DIY oil changes but don't have VIDA/DiCE.
Yes

Quote:
Is this now for all VEA versions, whatever age?
As far as I can ascertain. I can't claim credit for discovering the PID parameters. I got them from a guy on a German forum, but it has been tried on various cars with diesel and petrol VEA engines and seems to work reliably.

I have access to other aftermarket diagnostic equipment and the oil level as reported by Torque with that PID agrees with the CEM oil level reported by the other scanner, so I am happy with it.

Quote:
I recently had an 'add 0.5L' message, not too long after a dealer service. Have added 0.5L of the correct oil, e-dipstick is now on max but the level (read using the Car Scanner app) is only 25.68mm (so a fair way down from what you're suggesting as the refill target).
Might be worth comparing it with a reading from Torque or other software, to be sure.

Incidentally, from what I can gather, the dashboard oil level gauge on the VEA engine cars only has three states: OK, add oil or overfilled. The graphic of a gauge is a misrepresentation in as much as the indicated oil level won't change outside of those three parameters. More dumbing down for the driver

Have a read through this link. It's quite long, but interesting!

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...92#post2479292
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.