Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy XC60 AWD again?

Views : 1547

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 09:18   #1
hewking

Default Would you buy XC60 AWD again?

hi
Thanks for clarifying many things so far - i nearly know what i would like to buy
I wonder what is your subjective opinion regarding XC60 AWD and FWD - is there much difference in traction and driving experience including winter?

If not much difference i would prefer simpler car which is easier to maintain from the cost point of view.
Regards
hewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 13:41   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There is no additional maintenance required for AWD cars, the system is very reliable.

There is a slight drop in economy, and the engines and gearboxes are slightly more refined in the later (post 2015MY) 2WD cars.

So the question you should be asking yourself is do you need AWD? If you live somewhere down south and/or relatively flat, a 2WD car with suitable tyres is likely to suffice. If you're further north and/or into the hills, the AWD might be a benefit with suitable tyres. And if you tow...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 16:03   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

AWD every time.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 16:16   #4
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
AWD every time.
Agreed - cannot personally see the point of an SUV shaped / sized car that's 2WD
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 21:59   #5
AndyJudge
Premier Member

AWD for me with decent all season tyres.

In normal times I travel a lot in my job all year round. I want something I can depend on to get me to where I need to go.

Yes I know a lot of getting where I need to be depends on other road users as well but I'd prefer not to be the one getting stuck.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 13:28   #6
Roland_F

The Haldex will need oil changes, so the maintenance costs of AWD are marginally higher. It all depends what you want. We have one 2WD and one AWD SUV, with all season tyres on both, and the 2WD is just fine. If you:
* tow
* drive in serious snow or ice
* like accelerating hard, particularly out of sharp corners
then you will notice the benefits of AWD often. Otherwise, you will largely be paying for psychological reassurance.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland_F For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 21:19   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
Agreed - cannot personally see the point of an SUV shaped / sized car that's 2WD
I suspect that the majority of SUV purchases are now made by people with absolutely no need for AWD and what it brings.

Instead, they get a vehicle that’s like the ones owned by their neighbours and colleagues, plus it gives them the required height to not have their visibility obstructed at roundabouts and junctions by other SUVs, and they get some protection against damage from potholes.

Me? I get the better price, handling, performance and fuel economy offered by a normal estate car, and I wait patiently at roundabouts and junctions until I can see clearly.
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 00:08   #8
Roland_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
I suspect that the majority of SUV purchases are now made by people with absolutely no need for AWD and what it brings.
Probably why many SUV-type vehicles don't even offer AWD.

Quote:
Instead, they get a vehicle that’s like the ones owned by their neighbours and colleagues, plus it gives them the required height to not have their visibility obstructed at roundabouts and junctions by other SUVs, and they get some protection against damage from potholes.
There are other advantages of the SUV:
Much easier for older people to get into and particularly out of.
Noticeably less road footprint for the equivalent interior space.
Suffers much less from the 'small car' effect where people pull out in front of you probably because they perceive a smaller vehicle to be further away or travelling slower.

Quote:
Me? I get the better price, handling, performance and fuel economy offered by a normal estate car.
All true of like for like, but perhaps less than might be thought. My V70 TDI auto got a lifetime average of 37.8 mpg. My XC60 diesel auto has a current lifetime average of 43.1 mpg.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 21:54   #9
Dannydude

Default AWD Specific service items

Besides the Hadlex unit service, the front Bevel gear (angle gear) box will need fresh oil (manual gearbox oil), as will the rear differential, which lives just behind the Haldex unit. Gear oil is cheap compared to a worn geared transmission system component.

For those who don’t know what a Haldex unit is, it is an electrically controlled hydraulic torque converter. Prop shaft from the front turns, upon front wheel slip detection, the electronics module proportionately activates the clutch pack to deliver a calculated amount of torque to the differential and therefore the rear wheels.

Good on on slippery surfaces and towing for additional traction. Not turned on all of the time under normal traction conditions, only kicks in on demand automatically (when front wheel slippage detected through the ABS sensor system).

Happy days, Enjoy!
Dannydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 22:01   #10
Aus2012XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannydude View Post

Good on on slippery surfaces and towing for additional traction. Not turned on all of the time under normal traction conditions, only kicks in on demand automatically (when front wheel slippage detected through the ABS sensor system).

Happy days, Enjoy!
The 4th gen haldex is on nearly all of the time. I've been monitoring mine with the car scanner app. It puts torque to the rear wheels even at 100kph and will preload the haldex at a stop - for powering all wheels at take off. Its very smart and while not the same as a conventional 4wd, it is a very good AWD system.
Aus2012XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aus2012XC60 For This Useful Post:

Tags
awd, xc60