Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida Dice 2014D - !!! HELP !!! -

Views : 1867

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2021, 12:46   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Dice has been posted 1st Class and is on its way to Gatos.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 15:59   #12
ITSv40
VOC Member

The forum at its best
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 20:00   #13
gatos
Premier Member

Hi Mike

I am afraid I have some not so good news. I received Simon's DiCE promptly and tried his DICE on both my two diesels and unfortunately it didn't work. It could read everything, except for the ECU/ECM module. I tried it with my owned configured VIDA 2012a and Simon's 2014D and had no luck with either.

Simon's DiCE is guaranteed to be a top quality one, with all the chips, so the only other thing that I can think of, is that it may have something to do with the firmware.

As you can see in the images below, both my older DiCE and Simon's brand new one, have the exact same hardware version and everything else is identical, EXCEPT for the firmware. Mine is 5.6.1 and Simon's is 5.6.2.

So I guess I am sending Simon's DiCE back to him.

Only thing I can suggest to you, if you still have any of the other DiCE you have bought, is to try to downgrade the firmware and see if it makes a difference. It is a bit of a gamble and you could possibly brick the dice if not careful, but it may be worth a try.

Hope this helps

Alex

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alex DiCE.jpg (61.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Simon DiCE .jpg (60.0 KB, 58 views)

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Mar 8th, 2021 at 20:08.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 09:38   #14
mike v40

Hi Alex,

Bad luck, damn it !!
However, I would like to thank you for your contribution! You have taken a very important step to understand that after all the problem is clearly related to the Dice firmware.

Both my Dice have both precisely that firmware (5.6.2)! And then, the problem can only be this!

Well, of course I will not give up, and I will try to reinstall firmware 5.6.1, but for that I will have to find it on the internet, which seems a little difficult to find, if you know anything please say, OK?

Other suggestions are welcome, too.

I will comment here on the evolution of the experiences.

Thank you very much, and I wish you all the best.

Regards, Mike

Last edited by mike v40; Mar 9th, 2021 at 10:34.
mike v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike v40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 14:23   #15
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike v40 View Post
Hi Alex,

Bad luck, damn it !!
However, I would like to thank you for your contribution! You have taken a very important step to understand that after all the problem is clearly related to the Dice firmware.

Both my Dice have both precisely that firmware (5.6.2)! And then, the problem can only be this!

Well, of course I will not give up, and I will try to reinstall firmware 5.6.1, but for that I will have to find it on the internet, which seems a little difficult to find, if you know anything please say, OK?

Other suggestions are welcome, too.

I will comment here on the evolution of the experiences.

Thank you very much, and I wish you all the best.

Regards, Mike
Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wVY...ew?usp=sharing

Download and unzip it. Uninstall any drivers you have for the DICE from the Add/Remove programs in windows. Then run dicefw561.exe and that will re-install the DICE drivers and create a new DiCE folder in the Program Files folder (C:\Program Files\DiCE\Tools (I am using windows XP))

There you will find the dice_5_6_1.mot file

WARNING!!!! Before you attempt to flash the firmware, make sure VIDA is not running
Right hand click at the VIDA icon at the bottom right and STOP the VIDA process and then right hand click again at the VIDA icon at the bottom right and EXIT. If you don't, you WILL brick the DICE

Let us know how you get on

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2021-03-09 12-49-50.png (58.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2021-03-09 12-57-21.jpg (62.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2021-03-09 12-57-39.jpg (62.9 KB, 57 views)

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Mar 9th, 2021 at 15:41.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 00:27   #16
mike v40

Hi,

I'll be back with some news, good on the one hand and bad on the other.
I did the firmware update one of the Dice to the old version following the indications of the Gatos and with all the caution the Dice bricked ... It has the firmware LED flashing red and, it is the only LED flashing, all others are off, and I can't reflash!
This is the bad news !!

The good news is that some progress may have been made in my opinion based on some research I did on the net to understand this abnormality with the Chinese Dices that affect the S40 / V40 family, with the problem of not accessing the ECU.

One point to keep in mind, and as it was very well explained by Gatos is that when updating the firmware, Vida has to be completely turned off, as they communicate with each other and I think that VIDA sends periodic messages to the unit, like "are you still there?", and that stops the flashing and speeds up the unit ...

And then, a question that is also very pertinent, is that possibly this firmware, that is 5.6.1, is only updated by the native windows XP Pro SP3 and not through other operating systems like Windows 7 and of course, it is more complicated in virtual systems like virtualbox or others, which work in the background.

Gatos have you always used Windows XP Pro when you use Vida Dice, or have you ever used another operating system?

Gatos I wanted to thank you for helping me. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Cheers,

Mike
mike v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 11:59   #17
gatos
Premier Member

CheshireD5 used Win7 or Win10 to downgrade the firmware from 5.6.2 to 5.6.1 and he did it successfully. Apparently, even if you do every single step correctly, there is still a chance the DICE can get bricked .

With regards to your second question, yes, I always used Win Xp pro setup, as it is a lot faster than any of the later Windows versions. I did try Win 7 a few year ago, while installing Vida 2014D, but immediately went back to WinXp, as it was loading much faster.

When I receive Cheshired5's dice again, I will try it with both WinXP and also Win10 and I will also try my own DiCE with both and report back the results

Nullius in Verba
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 12:15   #18
gatos
Premier Member

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

Just an update with regards to the Volvo VIDA DiCE diagnostic tool and it's incompatibility with the 1.9D. For those who don't know, the currently available DiCE for sale at the moment, will read ALL 2000-2004 Volvo S40 V40 models, but very few, if any would communicate with the ECU/ECM module on the 1.9D. With the invaluable help and perseverance of CheshireD5, we finally managed to crack the problem of Chinese DiCE not being able to read the ECM module in the 1.9D models.
After looking and comparing two DiCE units (my own one which always worked on the 1.9D, and CheshireD5's brand new one, which was not working on the 1.9D, I speculated that the problem could be due to the firmware, as the hardware versions were identical and everything else was the same. My DiCE had the slightly older 5.6.1 firmware, whereas the newer ones came with the newer 5.6.2 firmware. So my guess was that the newer firmware had slightly different protocols, which were emulating communication with the 1.9D
So, CheshireD5 downgraded the firmware on his DiCE to 5.6.1 and sent me the DiCE back to test on my 1.9D. and...... success!!!! It worked a treat.

Many thanks to CheshireD5 (Simon) for his invaluable help and insight

Nullius in Verba
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: