Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Going from V90 to V60?

Views : 3564

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2021, 12:11   #11
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
All volvos share the same quality and parts even .. its just minor changes in size and shape ...
have you got the latest voice software , and have you done the voice training if you have an "odd" accent? It usualy works fine ..
I've seen this voice training mentioned in another thread but I can't find any mention of it in the manual or see an option for it in Sensus.
Can you elaborate on how it's done?
I find the voice recognition generally works OK but sometimes think it struggles with my Scottish brogue.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 14:52   #12
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
Sounds like you've got a duff one but I'll bear it in mind!

Another encouraging review. It's a shame lots of the things that come standard on the V90 are optional extras on the V60 but I guess that's all part of the lower initial cost.

I've been thinking about the B4 spec which I guess is the normal choice?
That's fairly standard on most ranges of cars. Deffo so with Volvo. For example, the V40 being the smallest car was never equipped to the same level as the 60 and 90 range and you coudn't spec options for some bits and pieces. As with all modern cars you need to check carefully exactly what functions you do get. Interior lighting levels, exact type of headlamps and auto features etc etc.
As you may appreciate already don't go on the brochures which include many items which are optional. I find that looking at the price lists is the best way to fathom what comes as standard on the range and model you choose and then see which options are available on that choice. Don't rely upon the dealer salesperson; many know less than you.

I run a 20my S60 Inscription Plus at the moment and the interior quality is as good as the 90 series IMO. Little things like no illuminated gear lever, no leather trim to the dash, no leather trim to the area around the gear lever and central storage, no massage function to front seats are evidence that it is not the flagship range but it is still a very nice place to be. In the few long journeys done since lockdowns etc we have arrived as fresh as we did in an S90.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 15:44   #13
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
I've seen this voice training mentioned in another thread but I can't find any mention of it in the manual or see an option for it in Sensus.
Can you elaborate on how it's done?
I find the voice recognition generally works OK but sometimes think it struggles with my Scottish brogue.
This was a feature available in the previous generation cars, with a selectable option in the menu system. Basically it involved saying predefined words and phrases two or three times, then press OK before moving on to the next one. I've not seen the option in the Spa cars, maybe its built into the software.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 15:58   #14
Polestar Pete
Polestar

It used to work that way in Mercedes cars but I've not seen any training option in my XC60 and nothing about that it mentioned in the manual.

Whatever I say, it tries to find it in my media.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 16:18   #15
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
This was a feature available in the previous generation cars, with a selectable option in the menu system. Basically it involved saying predefined words and phrases two or three times, then press OK before moving on to the next one. I've not seen the option in the Spa cars, maybe its built into the software.
Hmm, yeah, maybe it tries to train itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Morgan View Post
It used to work that way in Mercedes cars but I've not seen any training option in my XC60 and nothing about that it mentioned in the manual.

Whatever I say, it tries to find it in my media.
Haha, yep, had that. There are some things it always gets right first time but it always seems to struggle with the heated steering wheel and goes off searching media. Then I say "Cancel" and it doesn't seem to get that either but maybe just because I'm annoyed by that point. Now I just long-press the voice recog button to cancel it if it's determined not to understand me.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 20:22   #16
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

It is supposed to 'learn' your voice automatically in later vehicles. You need to speak naturally and at your normal speed.

Mine has improved with use but it does throw wobblies for me when trying to phone someone.

It is much better than some other systems I have used.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 17:25   #17
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
All volvos share the same quality and parts even .. its just minor changes in size and shape ...
Meaning what? The S60 is a step down in quality over an S90, the entire lower dash for example in the S90 is soft touch, in the 60 its standard plastic. The sun visors in the 90 are covered in fabric, in the 60 they are covered in plastic, so no, they do not share the same parts.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 21:22   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Meaning what? The S60 is a step down in quality over an S90, the entire lower dash for example in the S90 is soft touch, in the 60 its standard plastic. The sun visors in the 90 are covered in fabric, in the 60 they are covered in plastic, so no, they do not share the same parts.
I'm talking about the substance of the different current models not the trim levels , identical .... 👍
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 21:54   #19
Briggo

Quote:
I'm talking about the substance of the different current models not the trim levels , identical .... 👍
Eh?

Basically there is a difference in quality of the standard parts between a 90 and a 60.

It's no different when comparing a 7 series to a 5 series to a 3 for example, generally speaking the larger cars are seen as more prestige and so the interior defines that differentiation. Some brands more noticeable than others.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 08:21   #20
osbourne one-nil

Now that's interesting as my dealer told me all the meaningful parts...dash, switchgear, seats, carpets etc, were identical in the V60 and the V90 as they both shared everything. I can well believe things like the panels in the side of the doors or the lining of the door bins might vary, but basically if I sit in a V60 will it essentially feel like sitting in a V90? My dealer suggests it will. Hmmmm!