Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 2.0D with engine failure.... to buy or not to buy!

Views : 1299

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 09:33   #1
Baileydog

Default C30 2.0D with engine failure.... to buy or not to buy!

Hi all,

Sold my C30 a few months back and it was a big mistake, so looking to get another one but funds are tight. Seen a nice 2.0D 2007 for spares or repairs, engine is dead... apparently it was knocking for a short time then just died and there was oil everywhere. New DMF was recently fitted. Just wondering if this sounds like it just needs a new engine or could it be more complicated than that?? Thinking turbo, or DMF possibly??

Thanks for any advice.....
Baileydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 14:28   #2
Jerry1975

Cool

Hmm, I would imagine the engine will be completely sludged up, hence the oil issues.. I'd be tempted to avoid but I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will be along soon...

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 14:35   #3
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally.

It's not one of the more desirable engines (T5 or D5) and the 2.0D's are common as muck and cheap to buy so not sure why anyone would potentially buy a none runner when you can get a healthy working one easily for not much money.....
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 16:18   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Were I in 'Baileydog's shoes, I would reduce this decision to simple, basic economics.

He says funds are tight, so lets assume that he has only four shekels to spend. The car of his dreams would cost five, but if he can buy this poorly one for two and, crucially, source and transplant a replacement heart for another two, he's onto a winner.

If he could both purchase and repair the car for between 4 and 5 shekels AND stretch his budget a little, he might still come out on top, especially when the time came to sell. If, however, to buy and restore it to full health would cost him 5 or more shekels, then clearly the car would remain a non-starter in both senses of the word.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 21:44   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

My advice would be don't buy a 2.0D at all ESPECIALLY if you haven't got much money.

On top of costs of fitting up a new engine, that used engine will inevitably need DPF additive topups, EGR cleaning, TCV valves replacing and a new fuel filter housing cause old one is letting air bubbles in.

It's just not worth the frequent "engine system service required" messages that all of these items will cause on these (now aging) Euro 4 diesel cars.

If you can find one, I highly recommend going for a 2.0-litre petrol instead:

- Nice revvy yet smooth Mazda engine that suits the C30's sporty looks.
- mid 30s combined MPG (37.2mpg official)
- simple to maintain
- surprisingly deep stock exhaust note (on R-design)
- more powerful and faster at the top end than 2.0-diesel

I'm driving a T5 and I'm still impressed with the 2.0-petrol's performance and smoothness.

2.0D:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2.0 Petrol:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by T5R92011; Mar 7th, 2019 at 21:49.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 11:17   #6
Baileydog

Thanks for all the replies folks. It sounds like a resounding NO!!!! The car is in good condition and the price is cheap as chips (£350) and a replacement engine and gear box would come in at less than £1,000, so financially it looks good, but as you have rightly said, its all the other stuff it might need that I have no clue about that could make it a big mistake. I had a 2.0D before and it was a fantastic car, loved it, most reliable car I've ever had, hence wanting another one.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:36   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Is it this one per chance?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0716709584837/

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:39   #8
Baileydog

Yes, thats the one!!!!!
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 14:10   #9
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

You would also need VIDA to reset that SRS Airbag Service Urgent warning and see if it comes back on.

£350 it's worth a gamble if you literally want a 2.0D. Re-use original gearbox.. pickup a used 2.0D engine for £300-£400. If it goes tits up, you could get your money back by breaking it.

Personally though, I wouldn't buy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 14:47   #10
Baileydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

Personally though, I wouldn't buy it.

Is that because its too big a risk/ potential money pit, or because you're not a fan of the 2.0d...??