Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MoT regs for 2012

Views : 19084

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:41   #1
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Default MoT regs for 2012

Apparently there's a new set of MoT regs being phased in next year. I had an MoT recently, and was chatting with the gaffer and he confirmed that the following is about right.

I mention it here, because I know a number of members have removed the CAT from their car, and have also fitted after-market HID lights - see the items below that concern this. You might want to think twice about removing the CAT if you're planning to do this.....

Given the number of Volvos I've seen with dash lights not working - especially the EML light - the second item is worth noting too.

Copied from another forum:

Quote:
Copied from UKFN (ANDY G) mot tester for ford

Tonight I attended what is known as an MOT seminar, basically the head honchos from VOSA go to each area, and talk about the MOT scheme, including changes to the test.

As I said in the thread about the new EU directive, as soon as I knew what was changing in the MOT test I would post it up. These changes are to be brought into the test on 1st January 2012, not before. So here goes...

Steering lock operation - Steering locks not engaging when the ignition key is removed will fail.
Engine warning lamps, brake fluid warning lamps, ESP lamps, EPB lamps illumination - ANY of the above illuminated indicating a fault will fail.TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring systems) warning lamps - Again, if illuminated indicating a fault, will fail.Airbag/SRS lamp illumination - If this warning lamp is illuminated it will fail.
HID Headlamps - Now, a little grey area here. They will be included in the new test, and will fail if they prove to be outside of the specified conditions... but the conditions and reasons for rejections haven't been written/decided yet, so sit tight.
Wiring - Any wiring (loomed or otherwise) that is damaged, or fitted in such a way that could cause damage to said wiring, or other systems will fail.
Engine mountings - Engine mountings will be a part of the test. incorrect mounting, corrosion in a prescribed area etc will fail.
PAS (Power assisted steering) fluid level will be tested.
Rear doors must open in the new test. Previously (and currently), if the tester feels he can access the testable items in the rear (seatbelts, prescribed areas etc) without needing the doors open, they don't need to open. This will now be a failure.
13 pin towbar sockets - tested for correct operation using a plug in testing tool.
Inappropriate modifications or repairs - The wording on this is quite vague at the moment, but if a major component has been modified, and that modification/repair makes the vehicle dangerous or seriously weakens the original component, expect it to fail.
ANY ball joint dust cover - The small rubber boots over ball joints must be intact and free or splits, tears or holes, or it fails.
All CVJ gaiters will be tested - Currently, only the front outer] CVJ gaiters are tested. This new rule extends it to inner and outer, front and rear.
A catalytic converter missing WILL be a reason for failure, regardless of whether or not the emissions limits are met.
Fuel pipe chaffing or damage - Currently they only fail when they are leaking, this rule means that any chaffing or rubbing causing damage will fail.
The braking imbalance limit is lowered to 30% across all axles.
Vehicles built post July 2010 will have to have at least 58% braking efficiency to pass (currently it's 50% for a dual circuit braking system)
Insecure batteries will become a failure
The main beam warning lamp must illuminate with the main beam lamps
All light switches must operate the corresponding lights immediately. No tapping, or wiggling to make it work!

Remember, these changes will all be brought into testing starting from the 1st January 2012. The exact wording of each failure has yet to be released, but the above list is what was presented to us earlier this evening. I've posted all I know currently, so unfortunately I can't help with any questions .
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:48   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Oh Bugger !!!!

Real glad I got rid of the Zantia .. it had been "Front Ended" & had the SRS light on & wot remained of the steering wheel airbag Gaffer taped in place.
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:51   #3
Master Member

Steering Lock must engage immediately key is withdrawn...

Does this mean it is ok for the lock to be activated so that a steering wheel can initially be turned until it reaches the first locking point at which time it can no longer be turned

or that the steering wheel cannot be moved at all once the key is withdrawn
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 13:02   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
Steering Lock must engage immediately key is withdrawn...

Does this mean it is ok for the lock to be activated so that a steering wheel can initially be turned until it reaches the first locking point at which time it can no longer be turned

or that the steering wheel cannot be moved at all once the key is withdrawn
Most modern cars I've driven need the wheel turning a little for it to engage, so I'm sure this will be the case, I wouldn't panic on this one. For example, I'm equally sure that they'll allow Saabs to pass the test, where there is no steering lock. The ignition key locks the gearbox in reverse instead.

I'm sure sense will prevail on items like this - after all the above is only notes taken by the Ford man at the mmeeting, not the official MoT manual definitions - yet.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 13:17   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Most of the above is non-sense

The main one will be SRS lights working for MOT, the rest of the stuff is already tested, the likes of CV joint boots, shouldn't fail if there's no greese coming out of them, but will go down as advisory

HID's shouldn't be fitted unless fitted with self levelers and headlamp washing system, at the minute they are just tested for beam pattern, I can't imagine that will change until Mr Policeman starts showing an interest in them

Did you know, if a car is presented for a driving test with the SRS light not working, the test will be abandoned.....

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 14:37   #6
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post

I'm sure sense will prevail on items like this
Where European regulations and our own gold plating get stuck in sense is the first thing to fly out of the window
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 15:29   #7
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

!3 pin towbar electrics are to be tested??? why not the standard 7 pins?
Wiring test? This could take a while. we better be ready for an increase in the fee to cover all this, it's going to take a lot longer.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 15:44   #8
Photoguy

Glad I've gone back to a Volvo...

My Saab would never have passed the steering lock test!
Photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 16:31   #9
t4 tony
Master Member

A catalytic converter missing WILL be a reason for failure, regardless of whether or not the emissions limits are met. that has to be wrong too ? the cat is only there to bring emissions down, if the car is running good with out one and meets the pass level it should there for pass. why would they punish said catless drivers for nothing ? what about classic cars and motorcycles ???

and this still wont stop the people who 'know a mate who dose mots', if you know what i mean...

currently audi a4 avant
t4 tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:56   #10
ade555

I belive it all depends on the guy who does the mot test, some are more picky then other I always use the same guy longest the car is general good condition, breaks tyres, all lights working, shocks, suspemsion arms and the other parts that could be danger to you and other road user all working fine it will pass, who cares if you have steering lock or higher emission you not going to save the earth anyway, if you want get electric car LOL
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote