Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 ride quality on 21’’ wheels

Views : 1973

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2021, 09:41   #1
Barry.h

Default XC60 ride quality on 21’’ wheels

Hello everyone,

Thinking of purchasing a XC60 r design It doesn’t have air suspension and it’s on 21’’ wheels.
Just wondering what your opinions are of the ride quality on these size wheels.

Many thanks
Barry.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:47   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Opinions will vary, but I've been pretty happy so far. Ride quality for me as been fine on motorways, around town, and decent A roads.

I've noticed more road noise although this might be reduced with different tires. Potholes and speed bumps are pretty harsh though. Obviously, they're kerb-magnets.

They do look really nice on the XC60 IMO.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 10:04   #3
Cull06
Master Member

It’s a balance. I’ve been in the car you describe and it’s fine. Obvs not as soft as a non-rdesign and on 20s.

But unless you are absolute about soft ride above all else (then why are you buying an r design I would ask?) then it’s absolutely fine
Old May 14th, 2021, 10:56   #4
kb007

Default buy it

I have this car and its definitely hard ride. But its better than too soft. The seats are amazing comfortable.

It looks the fabulous especially the R-design
kb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 18:47   #5
Bluebotle

I have 21” wheels on my XC60 without air suspension and find it extremely comfortable and soft ride. I did however loan an V60 from Volvo dealership that had 19” wheels and that was very hard.

To me it seems the car is the difference and not necessarily the wheels.

Cheers

Lee
Bluebotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 22:30   #6
Mm1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotle View Post
I have 21” wheels on my XC60 without air suspension and find it extremely comfortable and soft ride. I did however loan an V60 from Volvo dealership that had 19” wheels and that was very hard.

To me it seems the car is the difference and not necessarily the wheels.

Cheers

Lee
This is why I always say you have to test drive every car for a decent amount of time because I have a v60 with the r design m suspension on 19” wheels and I love the ride! I was surprised as many of the reviews said the standard suspension was best on the V60.
Mm1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 12:11   #7
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mm1988 View Post
This is why I always say you have to test drive every car for a decent amount of time
Agree entirely - also I find the tyre pressure are particularly critical - in service last week the dealership stuck between 38 & 42psi in the 4 21" tyres - no wonder the ride and road noise seemed like that on the Flintstones chariot with rock wheels. Pressures now lowered to something more sensible and the ride is way better (still however prefer the relative silence and comfort - but not the look - of the 18" winter wheels)
Old May 21st, 2021, 00:17   #8
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
Agree entirely - also I find the tyre pressure are particularly critical - in service last week the dealership stuck between 38 & 42psi in the 4 21" tyres - no wonder the ride and road noise seemed like that on the Flintstones chariot with rock wheels. Pressures now lowered to something more sensible and the ride is way better (still however prefer the relative silence and comfort - but not the look - of the 18" winter wheels)
yeah... 18" is too damn small... you get the comfort but the look... 🤮
Old May 29th, 2021, 16:06   #9
Zidane

As I'm in market for a R-design with 21" wheels myself I had a very short drive in a friend's with same spec the other day.

It wasn't ideal to be fair but just about ok I think.

Certainly better refinement from the suspension than the diesel engine which I was very shocked about. Sounded terrible inside and out.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 03:52   #10
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

I have air suspension on mine. I had 19" wheels and changed to 20" some months ago. Just a matter of aesthetic. I was tired to look at 19". And most probably in a few years time, I'll change to 21". My XC60 has turned now 2 years and 6 months. Always improving I would say 😉

To be honest I can't really tell the difference between 19" and 20"s. I'll say that I felt potholes and surface on bad roads more isolated, with the 19"s mounted, due to the higher amount of rubber wall in the tyres, absorbing better the shock. 235/55 R19 and 255/45 R20. But even so I consider comfortable enough on the 20"s. Why? Because my ride is on air. I think the turning point is to have or not have air suspension. not the rims size.

So my advice to you is this one... if you're going for a car without air suspension, choose smaller wheels. If you're going to acquire one with air suspension, it doesn't really matter the size of the wheels, because the ride will be always comfortable. And yes, I also agree that tyre pressure has effects on the ride... 2,3 bar makes it smoother, 2,7 bar eco pressure makes it more harshed ... but then again... at the end of the day , it all comes down to the air suspension fitted or not. BAR pressure is only a small detail that adds a slight perception of the ride.

2,3 bar pressure with air suspension- COMFORTABLE +

2,7 bar eco pressure with air suspension- COMFORTABLE -