Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent fault, possibly crank sensor

Views : 4075

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2014, 12:03   #11
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I'm not trying to be a smart ar#e in saying this but do you mean the injection relay under the bonnet clocks ?

As far as I know the fuel pump relay is in the car on the fusebox. The injection relay or radio suppression relay as it's officially known is in the engine compartment, normally just above the battery whichever side it's on.

Why Volvo didn't fit all the relays inside the car I don't know it would make life a lot more simple.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 13:38   #12
clocks2003
Master Member

Sorry, yes that is indeed what I was referring to - though since I replaced both these relays at the same time I am not sure which was the culprit! (replacing them both also probably caused the terminological confusion...)
clocks2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clocks2003 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 14:51   #13
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I swapped the injection relay and the crnak sensor when my cars started having an intermittant starting problem. never actually found out which was the problem then.
It did it a couple of time more recently then didn't start at all so at least I got to swap a couple of things to see what the fault actually was.

This time it was the injection relay. I re-soldered it and it was fine. One thing I did notice was that being a non genuine (not Bosch or Volvo) it wasn't made quite as well so I swapped it again for a better one.

I now carry a crank sensor, fuel injection and fuel pump relay in the car just in case.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 12:08   #14
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Yeah There are three FPRelays in my car! Just in case ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 15:37   #15
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

I had this happen to my old 940 some years ago but the sensor was stuck in the bell housing and it snapped off flush. I had to melt it out with a soldering iron and push it into the bell hosing, then remove the starter motor turn the engine by hand and remove the bits from the hole where the starter fits. it was a right pain in the butt to do a 20 min job it took about 3 hours to do. at at least the sensor cost me nothing from a scrappy.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrinkles For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 10:47   #16
ingmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I can report a year on that it definitely was the crank position sesnor in my case. The car is still running very well and the engine hasn't cut out again since.

IMHO, if you can afford to, it's worth having a new/good crank position sensor and fuel relay in your spares stock. I recently needed to use my spare fuel relay in another of my 940s.

In my experience, the biggest clue that a mysterious stalling problem is due to the crank position sensor is strange behaviour of the rev counter. Early symptoms were it "sticking" during motorway driving with some loss of power and then suddenly coming back to life again. As the problem got worse and the car started to cut out occasionally, just before a stall the rev counter would drop to zero. This was very hard to spot, because you had to be looking at the dash at just the right time. My reasoning (possibly flawed) was that a fuel related stall would not cut rpm to zero before the engine died.

If you are really stabbing in the dark at a mysterious stalling problem and just throwing exchange parts at it then the fuel relay behind the ash tray is a bit easier to replace than the crank position sensor. But there are other parts (per the FAQ) that could be the culprit.
Brilliant posts that encouraged me - a mechanical ignoramus - to have a go and to replace the crank sensor myself. Delighted to learn the cure proved long lasting, too. I used after market Cambiare VE363003.

Last edited by ingmar; May 12th, 2021 at 11:41.
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ingmar For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 15:15   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmar View Post
Brilliant posts that encouraged me - a mechanical ignoramus - to have a go and to replace the crank sensor myself. Delighted to learn the cure proved long lasting, too. I used after market Cambiare VE363003.
It's actually a simple job when you think about it - remove one bolt, pull the old sensor out, unplug it, plug the new one in and push the new sensor (preferably with some silicone grease on its body NOT the tip) in and refit the bolt.

However, the daunting bit comes in firstly locating it, secondly getting the bonnet vertical (some people don't realise this can be done), having the reach of Guy the Gorilla and the dexterity of an 8 year old playing games on their/your phone.

Usually it's a straightforward job without problems but any problems and you start getting into some grotty realms!
The daunting bit far outweighs the simplicity of the exercise so well done for having a go and getting it done!

I find this is the perfect task to show someone new to spannering that no matter how daunting a job may seem, if you break it down into a series of simple operations (as i did above) that most jobs are in fact fairly simple and the daunting bit is getting into the mindset to attempt the job.

In short, have confidence in yourself and give it a go! If things start going pear-shaped, put a post on here as we're all here to help!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2021, 00:29   #18
volvo always
Premier Member

10mm ring spanner when I replaced mine on my B230FK.

Locating it was the hardest. Removed dipsticks and used torch to locate area and by feel undid the bolt. Once out great! Simple re-install new sensor. Align the hole in sensor bracket to hole for bolt and fit bolt by hand and tighten up.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2021, 00:38   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocks2003 View Post
I had the same problem with my 940 recently - I will see if i can find the thread asking for help as there were quite a few suggestions. It turned out to be the fuel pump relay in the engine bay.
Andrew

This was the first thread, with lots of suggestions which eventually lead me to the answer:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=209310
This was the second thread, once I had found what the engine fault code was! http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1739452

Hope this helps - but the first thing to do is to get hold of a fault-code reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart ar#e in saying this but do you mean the injection relay under the bonnet clocks ?

As far as I know the fuel pump relay is in the car on the fusebox. The injection relay or radio suppression relay as it's officially known is in the engine compartment, normally just above the battery whichever side it's on.

Why Volvo didn't fit all the relays inside the car I don't know it would make life a lot more simple.
Just for clarification, the fuel pump relay is inside the car, the RSR (Radio Suppression Relay) is under the bonnet in one of a variety of locations. Also worth noting that on 96-on models, not only does the RSR supply the injectors and Lambda heater but also feeds the ignition coil and amplifier module.
With that in mind, on a post 96 car, the rev counter could drop to zero as the ignition wouldn't be firing either.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: