Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83268

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 07:07   #721
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post
After forty odd years in the industry, I can confirm that the only psychological association that the Uk building industry has with its building practices is that of making money by being on site for the shortest possible time!
You are right of course in your assertion about ease, you can quickly erect a bolted structure with a crane or a fork lift and true it all up afterwards. It doesn't matter if it rains or what the temperature is. If you set out to weld it you are at the mercy of the weather and without x-ray or other test methodology, you can't actually tell whether any joint made is actually robust or not. You also have to get it dead on first time, and hold it in place accurately whilst you weld. A nut and bolt is relatively foolproof in quality of joint terms and can be adjusted. Everyone knows what they are getting. Site welding is therefore in most cases taboo because of the cost and time considerations.
There are plenty of alternative building methods in use these days mostly involving factory prefabrication into units that can be quickly erected on site, however, history has shown that a lot of techniques that were going to revolutionise the building industry have proved to be a dangerous liability twenty or thirty years on. Thus the industry tends to stick with what it knows.
Time on site coupled with a dumbing down from craftsmen to workers I'm sure is an "economic" consideration. I get the feeling that companies would rather "invest" / pay for expensive machines than people. For buildings this means diesel and hydraulics together with large lumpy heavy fewer-number-of-connection designed structures.

I've got a very different set of considerations and have designed the structure to suit =>

I decided that as a one man band lifting more than 90kg isn't realistic (lifting building stuff in the real world isn't the same as pumping iron in a gym!)

I therefore need to have more thinner splindly looking elements with many many more time consuming connections. I realise there is no effing way any "professional" would do things this way, but the welding is something I can do. The weather can be a problem but the bigger problem is my health / energy levels.

My budget is also a crucial factor. I can just about afford the material costs. I did look at wooden building kits before I started but they were priced between two to three times the budget I have to spend.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 20:41   #722
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Sorry still workshop (!)

As usual as I go along I keep on having smart ideas and I change the design. Initially I was planning to have upright poles under the pitched roof apex as additional support. This would have meant I would have to move a vehicle from one side to the other via the outer doors and the outside.

Now I've decided to build a kind of compromise where I have two intrusions at either end but with the best part of five meters in between. Most vehicles on dollies will be able to be shoved at an angle from one side to another...

Note I need to dig out my longer welding leads so I don't need to raise the welder onto a little platform - and note with out sturdy G-clamps it would be even more of a health and safety nightmare...

...I must say that that grey duct tape is pretty strong stuff (!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding10.jpg (261.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding11.jpg (394.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding12.jpg (271.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding13.jpg (266.4 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Army; Jan 11th, 2020 at 20:43.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 12:40   #723
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Struggling with building (still)

February has not been a compliant month - too much wind and rain.

Still there is a bit of a change =>

In (actual) Volvo related news I plan to go to my first technical evening the Dutch Volvo club runs - it will be interesting to see what they have to say. For once I can get to one of the meetings on the bus!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding14.jpg (220.4 KB, 121 views)
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 13:50   #724
old fart
Master Member

Looking good, I can't see that blowing away. Good luck with the weather.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 15:30   #725
Derek UK
VOC Member

Full solar roof? Are their any government incentives in Holland?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 16:15   #726
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Looking good, I can't see that blowing away. Good luck with the weather.
I'm certain the structure won't blow away - problem with wind gusts above 70kph has more to do with me being a big fat sail on top of a ladder trying to weld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Full solar roof? Are their any government incentives in Holland?
I might put on solar panels in the end but at the moment there is a really beattiful tree that will put a fair amount of shade on the roof. Once the leaves are back on the tree I'll see if there's any space on the roof that is usable for solar energy.

There are some subsidies here in Holland but I've noticed that that usually means the price is increased by the seller - effing crooks. For example I have a friend in the UK who paid his local council fifty quid to have cavity wall insulation fitted: Here I got a quote for 1800 euros. I feel I will be experimenting with my compressor and sand blasting kettle to see if I can inject my own polystyrene balls...

...the Netherlands is a nice country but it is an effing expensive country. They use the "comparative cost" trick to make you feel like you're getting a deal. The problem is the starting price for the **** option is always ridiculous.

Being foreign helps (in this case) because you know from experiences in other countries that things just don't cost that much.
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 17:10   #727
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Quick spot the difference picture...

There's now a nice strong triangular structure in the upper third of the roof's apex. The rafters have also had some smaller box section pieces added in between to stop them from wanting to twist.

Next up - last bits of welding on the roof fitting some angle iron brackets onto which I will be able to fix the wooden part of the roof structure...

(This is taking too long - need to speed up and get done - I need to be back Volvo-ing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding15.jpg (246.4 KB, 98 views)
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 09:07   #728
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Almost got a roof

It is a bit unconventional.

I've got a wooden skeleton structure sitting in between the steel rafters. On top of this I have a sheet of OSB then another wooden skeleton structure with gaps for insulation. This gets finished off with another sheet of OSB then there's an under tile breathable membrane...

The OSB is only 12mm thick - so until it is fitted there's zero structural ability - it is pathetic stuff but was necessary because the flooring grade (18mm) stuff is just 6mm thicker but costs about twice as much. I got a job lot of damaged 12mm OSB for a a very low price which I felt was a bit of a gamble at the time of purchase but it has turned out that the damaged 12mm OSB is just as rubbish as the stuff they say isn't!

It might seem a bit crazy choosing 12mm OSB junk but in this design its only real purpose is to hold the insulation in place. The strength of the structure is the steel and the wooden skeleton structures that are now intertwined. The upper surface of the roof will have conventional (Dutch) ceramic roof tiles - so another structure of wooden slats and bits and bobs will be built so the tiles fit and stay on...

...all to be connected to the wooden skeleton...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding16.jpg (278.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding17.jpg (235.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop ready for welding18.jpg (217.2 KB, 83 views)
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 19:23   #729
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Still building...

...and not getting anything done with the Volvo.

Still there has been a bit of progress =>

I've gone for traditional Dutch style roof tiles which adds a fair amount of weight (about 3 to 4 tons) for those that were worried about this blowing away (!)

The walls as well as the roof have been insulated and the outer cladding is in position for one side.

I just need to get the other sides sorted and the floor and perhaps some glass in the windows and ... and ... and ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop progress1.jpg (243.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress2.jpg (186.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress3.jpg (202.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress4.jpg (201.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress5.jpg (243.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress6.jpg (223.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress7.jpg (306.7 KB, 59 views)
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 13:17   #730
Derek UK
VOC Member

That's looking great. Luckily, until the last couple of days, the weather has been fantastic and ideal for doing this sort of work. Go man, go.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote