Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EV Charging cables.

Views : 1694

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2021, 15:30   #1
kentishdriver

Default EV Charging cables.

I can't see charging cables covered elsewhere. I have an XC(90) Recharge with the standard 7.0m 3 pin plug/Type2 cable. I'm looking to get an external 3pin socket put in at work, but for the practicable socket positions, the 7.0m cable is not quite long enough. Does anyone know of longer cables or suitable extensions that can be used. Screwfix do a 10.0m cable, with a built in charger/controller. Also there are on the market 5.0m Type 2/Type 2 extension cables. Will they work or will the Volvo car, or controller, sense them and not charge. Help or suggestions appreciated.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 15:49   #2
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentishdriver View Post
I can't see charging cables covered elsewhere. I have an XC(90) Recharge with the standard 7.0m 3 pin plug/Type2 cable. I'm looking to get an external 3pin socket put in at work, but for the practicable socket positions, the 7.0m cable is not quite long enough. Does anyone know of longer cables or suitable extensions that can be used. Screwfix do a 10.0m cable, with a built in charger/controller. Also there are on the market 5.0m Type 2/Type 2 extension cables. Will they work or will the Volvo car, or controller, sense them and not charge. Help or suggestions appreciated.
So from testing on my V60 any 13a extension will work but when I plugged in an RCD the Volvo granny plug just refused to draw any power. But you need to be careful about water ingress because although the Volvo charger is waterproof the plug on the end obviously is not.

For the first 3 months of ownership I wasn’t able to get a wall box fitted so used this constantly (pretty sure mine is 15m) rain or shine.
https://toughleads.co.uk/collections...extension-lead

The only change I made was because the sockets are inside the garage (I snuck the cable under the door) was I got a £3 switched single gang and swapped it with the one supplied (inside the waterproof housing is a normal unswitched household socket).

I still use it when I’m away from home.

Last edited by amadan; May 14th, 2021 at 15:52.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 15:54   #3
soupytwister
Master Member

I got one from here - proper heavy duty ones you need. Not the rubbish you get from B&Q etc. I didn't need a waterproof socket so is a bit cheaper, but they do waterproof socket ones as well.

https://www.industrialextensionleads...eads-732-c.asp
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 16:18   #4
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Yeah. I just use a three-pin extension cord, one with surge protection and my outlet in the garage is also protected by an RCD.

Works fine for me and never had a problem in charging.

Of course, you'll need more protection if the socket is outdoors (my extension socket takes it as far as the inside of the garage door).

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2021, 18:09   #5
kentishdriver

Thanks for the above. Was trying to avoid a conventional extension lead, because of the various Volvo guidance saying extensions must not be used. The above look decent, and will probably buy one, not sure which one, and first test at home.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 18:31   #6
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentishdriver View Post
Thanks for the above. Was trying to avoid a conventional extension lead, because of the various Volvo guidance saying extensions must not be used. The above look decent, and will probably buy one, not sure which one, and first test at home.
Frankly I wouldn’t hold any sway when it came to Volvo and charging cables - frankly they can’t get their software sorted let alone chargers.

My dealer tried to tell me the reason the car wouldn’t let go of the charger when it was cold (ie under freezing overnight) was because I was using a BMW branded cable. The amusement was it was a random cable in the boot for public chargers and it was a podpoint - ie the charger Volvo recommends.
Old May 21st, 2021, 08:26   #7
Automatic Only

I have a 15m extension lead from Tough Leads too. Used almost every day for more than a year now with no issues. In fact on one occasion I plugged the Volvo lead into a friends outdoor socket and it refused to charge but when plugged into the same socket via the extension lead it worked fine!
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Volvo say about not using extension leads so long as you buy a suitable unit - they just need to cover themselves against people who would go and buy the cheapest extension lead with the thinnest cable core and leave it out in the pouring rain with no protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Automatic Only For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:25   #8
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Bear in mind that if you want to use an extension lead on a reel, then you'd need to unwind it fully as the amperage drops when the lead is coiled up.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:33   #9
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Bear in mind that if you want to use an extension lead on a reel, then you'd need to unwind it fully as the amperage drops when the lead is coiled up.
And more importantly, if still wound up or partially wound up, when being used, the reel could overheat and catch fire

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...tension-cable/

Iain

Last edited by IainG; May 21st, 2021 at 11:37.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 14:15   #10
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
That's incorrect, the amperage is dependent on the load. The reason coiled extension reels heat up is that there is a loss in the cable, causing it to heat. When the lead is uncoiled the heat dissipates into the air. However, when the coil is left on its drum, and the load is significant, the heat loss is contained within the coiled cable.
What is often forgotten is that there is always a loss in electric transmission, even with the ubiquitous power lines. It is minimised by using larger conductors. Hence the recommendation to use heavy duty extension leads, not the cheap, lower capacity B&Q and similar ones.