Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dual Mass Flywheels - Your views?

Views : 6785

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2012, 15:49   #11
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
After reading up on DMF they appear to be for less noise vibration and harshness, better fuel consumption,for less stress on the gearbox/ transmission from high torque output engines.It appears they are more or less being seen in some instances as a 'consumable' like brake pads are..!!!

Apparently Ford and Mazda are looking at fitting some electronic trickery to limit torque output in first and second gear instead of using DMF.

Thoroughly enjoyable research - off for a kip....

Regards
I believe our 9-5 Aero has something similar. The car won't use the overboost in lower gears (1st and 2nd) to protect the transmission. It only works in 3rd and beyond as far as I'm aware.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 15:51   #12
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
More moving parts = reliability compromise!

Such a good idea, shame about the execution.
A V12 engine has more moving parts than an I4. But it isn't less reliable. A ****el (hehe) has 2 moving parts (one disc) or 3 (two disc) opposed to an 8 valve 4 cylinder (cams, pistons, rods, cambelt/cogs/chain, valves, etc.). On top of that, a 6 speed gearbox has more parts than a 5 speed + DMF.

Sentences like that are rather out of place... The DMF has proven it's reliablity. If treated correctly, a DMF will last as long as an SMF. If people don't treat it right, it will f**k up as quick as a standard clutch. Years ago people would say "oh an automatic... More to go wrong". And now? As popular as a manual gearbox. People also said the same as diesel cars came out. And now? More diesels are being made than ever before. The list goes on for ever...

If the world listend to people like that, we would be living in caves!

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 15:56   #13
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
A V12 engine has more moving parts than an I4. But it isn't less reliable. A ****el (hehe) has 2 moving parts (one disc) or 3 (two disc) opposed to an 8 valve 4 cylinder (cams, pistons, rods, cambelt/cogs/chain, valves, etc.). On top of that, a 6 speed gearbox has more parts than a 5 speed + DMF.

Sentences like that are rather out of place... The DMF has proven it's reliablity. If treated correctly, a DMF will last as long as an SMF. If people don't treat it right, it will f**k up as quick as a standard clutch. Years ago people would say "oh an automatic... More to go wrong". And now? As popular as a manual gearbox. People also said the same as diesel cars came out. And now? More diesels are being made than ever before. The list goes on for ever...

If the world listend to people like that, we would be living in caves!

A ****el (hehe

I love that word lol. Thank you Mazda

he DMF has proven it's reliablity. If treated correctly, a DMF will last as long as an SMF.

Remember Daim I'm only going on what I've heard from my own mechanic and other complaints. I believe you know what you are talking about and I take what you say seriously and find it very interesting. I'm sure if everyone drove their cars with far less aggression, the parts in general would last a long time. What do you think about diesel cars with constant DMF problems though? So many stories on younger motors like VW golfs having major judder on idle from the DMF.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:09   #14
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, them being a VW is the main issue. VW is "supposed" to be good but they build the biggest crap you can get. If they can save €0.04 a DMF they will and that means that the DMF will be a piece of poop.

Just a side note: VW has loads of issues with the chain drive on their 1.4l TSIs. This all down to the longlife oils they use. The chains then wear off and snap. The engine is then "fried". VW has instead of saying they did something wrong, will simply modify the electrics of the car to say that the engine oil MUST be changed early instead of the proper longlife. All this so they can save money.

Kind of like Ford did with the Ford Pinto which would either burst into flames if rear ended or you'd be killed by the steering column.

So, DMFs giving up over and over again on a VW isn't anything special. Volvo has a DMF on the manual D5s. Rare change. A 5-cylinder doesn't run much better than a 4 cylinder (still isn't a smooth cycle). And the D5 puts out A LOT more torque than a 2.0TDI could. Even Volvo's D3 and D4 do...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:09   #15
CJL
Master Member

I do wonder how many of these "DMF failures" are caused by abuse/poor technique.

Holding the car on the clutch on inclines, agressice gear changes etc etc...
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJL For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:12   #16
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I do wonder how many of these "DMF failures" are caused by abuse/poor technique.

Holding the car on the clutch on inclines, agressice gear changes etc etc...
Yep! A lot are. The clutch is only there to get the vehicle moving and to change gears. It is not a tool to hold a car in place (that is what the handbrake is for). A lot of people will d that and wonder why their cars have clutch damage earlier than others.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:23   #17
owyn
Premier Member

A DMF working properly will protect the clutch, it stops the great big thumps of torque getting through to it.

They are a lot less troublesome on petrol cars that have smoother torque characterisitics.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:25   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Yep! A lot are. The clutch is only there to get the vehicle moving and to change gears. It is not a tool to hold a car in place (that is what the handbrake is for). A lot of people will d that and wonder why their cars have clutch damage earlier than others.
Very true.

I was always taught to use the handbrake, for example when stopped at red lights. However driving instructors inform students to keep the clutch depressed nowadays, which I found unusual.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:27   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

We are all doomed!

Will a DMF last 2.5 years and 45k? If so I aint bothered..lol..!!!!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 16:34   #20
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
My mum used to do this until I gave her an earful, she now does what I do, hold the brake and push the clutch to the floor! I never use the handbrake though.

Tags
clutch, dmf, dual mass flywheel, flywheel, smf