Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Park Assist Service Required

Views : 4046

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2016, 19:55   #1
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Hi All,

I have a Volvo S40 2005. There is a message saying the Park Assist Requires Service. I had a read online already, but I cannot find a definitive answer to below 2 questions:
1. If I replace the module and the 4 sensors with new ones (at my family mechanic), will the message disappear or will I have to go to Volvo dealership to have the message removed?
2. My Volvo is blue, do the new sensors have to be ordered in the colour of my car, will they need to be painted or colour doesnt matter, as they will be fitted behind the bumper that covers them completely, in a way they still are able to operate?

Regards,
M
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 20:18   #2
AngryScot

They will need to be painted, I'm not sure you can order them pre-painted. I think you'd have to buy the correct paint and do it yourself.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 21:18   #3
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Ive just changed all 4 of my sensors on an XC90. I bought Jaguar Land Rover genuine sensors from eBay - approx £8 each. Don't buy chinese or Dutch ones, you will just have problems.

Valeo is also a great make of sensor. Once replaced the error message goes away on its own.

I didn't have to paint mine. They all worked fine without.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 21:51   #4
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoku11 View Post
Hi All,

I have a Volvo S40 2005. There is a message saying the Park Assist Requires Service. I had a read online already, but I cannot find a definitive answer to below 2 questions:
1. If I replace the module and the 4 sensors with new ones (at my family mechanic), will the message disappear or will I have to go to Volvo dealership to have the message removed?
2. My Volvo is blue, do the new sensors have to be ordered in the colour of my car, will they need to be painted or colour doesnt matter, as they will be fitted behind the bumper that covers them completely, in a way they still are able to operate?

Regards,
M
Not sure what you mean by fitted behind bumper, are the ones you have now fitted there ?
If you get after market ones they may not wire into the original wiring plug.
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:39   #5
Snoodini

Quote:
No need to replace everything! it's highly likely that only one sensor is malfunctioning. I;ve replaced two on my car. If you don't have VIDA to identify the faulty sensor you can still determine easily which is at fault. Turn the ignition on (but don't start the engine) and put the car into reverse. Go around the back and put your ear next to each sensor in turn. You can tell if a sensor is working because you will hear a faint clicking sound as it emits the ultrasonic signal.

As soon as all 4 sensors are functional the message will go away without further intervention.

Quote:
You can't order them coloured. I bought mine online and bought genuine volvo spray paint in the car body color. They apparently come primed for painting but i use a very thin layer of plastic primer, followed by the colour (as per instructions on the can) followed by a couple of coats of clearcoat. I mask around the sensor just below the sensor surface to avoid painting the sensor body, they're a close fit in the mounts on the bumper.

What do you mean about behind the bumper though? covers completely?
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 20:33   #6
benrpatterson

Quote:
Hi All,

Regards,
M
Hello

I've also got this error message but it doesn't always show up. Anyway when I reverse the beeps don't beep! Is that also because one sensor is gone?

Thanks
Ben
benrpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:58   #7
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrpatterson View Post
Hello

I've also got this error message but it doesn't always show up. Anyway when I reverse the beeps don't beep! Is that also because one sensor is gone?

Thanks
Ben
In my experience this is typical behaviour of a failing sensor. unfortunately sensors are quite sensitive to environmental and physical damage. Power washers especially. Next time you get the message hop out and listen to them as i described in my earlier post to identify which is failing.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 21:43   #8
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Thank you all for feedback and sorry it took so long to answer.

I know now that I will have to paint the sensors, that is not a problem.

Finally, I went for diagnostic to Volvo dealer they said that computer doesn't get to the sensors, as the computer was not able to even detect the Parking Assist Module itself.
They quoted a fortune to have the module replaced and programed.
Naturally I started looking for a second hand module and found one, but I do have a question, before I buy it.

If I change the PAM will I then still need to go to Volvo to program it or (assuming that the sensors themselves work) the system will just start working?

Thank you so much in advance.
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 21:12   #9
Steve323f

Default New owner with similar issues

Good evening all

I purchased a 2006 S40 today and am quite frankly overwhelmed with everything the car has to offer. I have been searching on the forum and popping in and out all day implementing the wealth of knowledge on the forum such as programming my partners key to set her seat correctly and my key to do the same, my mind was blown for such an old car. Trying the DTC read using the read and foglight button and a lot of others.

My only issue is with the parking aid service required. I have put the car in reverse and 2 of the 4 sensor are clicking and the other 2 have no sound.

So before i replace these i cant find a definitive answer on whether the rear bumper has to be removed. Could someone clarify please? If so is there a guide without 404 error found pictures as the ones i have found seem to be lost.

My 2nd questions are it has 4 sensors on the front bumper also, is that front parking assist? If so are the sensors the same part number for the rears and again does the front bumper need removed? To test these ones do i need to have the car in first gear to check for the clicking sound?

Lastly do all 8 sensors need to be working for just the reverse sensors to work as i think i can live without the fronts. But in for a penny, in for a pound i guess.

Thanks all.

Steve
Steve323f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error message, park assist, s40 1.8