Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

seat heater wont switch off

Views : 392

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2020, 11:25   #1
reevesy

Default seat heater wont switch off

hi all...first post so hoping someone can help

my drivers side seat heater wont switch off..it stays hot all the time...all right for short journeys but gets a bit warm for long one!

i could pull the fuse to stop it but want to fix it....button seems to click on and off ok...and the lights come on when you do

first thought was switch is either sticking or playing up...so my gut reaction was to remove it and see if it needs a clean and a spray of contact cleaner?

cant find any suggestions via google...plenty of people cant get it to work ...but none have complained of not being able to switch it off!?

anyway did'nt know if i'm looking in the right place and how to remove the switch..i was hoping it was a case of just popping it out with samll screwdriver or something...but knowing how cars are built you probably have to strip the consol out!

car is a 2009 s40 so any help /ideas would be most appreciated

cheers
reevesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 14:16   #2
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesy View Post
hi all...first post so hoping someone can help

my drivers side seat heater wont switch off..it stays hot all the time...all right for short journeys but gets a bit warm for long one!

i could pull the fuse to stop it but want to fix it....button seems to click on and off ok...and the lights come on when you do

first thought was switch is either sticking or playing up...so my gut reaction was to remove it and see if it needs a clean and a spray of contact cleaner?

cant find any suggestions via google...plenty of people cant get it to work ...but none have complained of not being able to switch it off!?

anyway did'nt know if i'm looking in the right place and how to remove the switch..i was hoping it was a case of just popping it out with samll screwdriver or something...but knowing how cars are built you probably have to strip the consol out!

car is a 2009 s40 so any help /ideas would be most appreciated

cheers
This section is for the pre 2004 S and V40 models unfortunately, was about to let you know how to strip the switch unit down only to see it says 2009 lol.

Look on the main forum for the S40/V50 section and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 14:29   #3
reevesy

thanks didnt realise

....reposted in the right section...sorry mods

Last edited by reevesy; Oct 16th, 2020 at 14:34.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 20:45   #4
reevesy

not getting much joy in the other section

maybe someone could help her

heres more details ...the other post i made

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 21:42   #5
P156KWJ

I'm not familiar with the controls on that specific model, however to me there's a few likely possibilities:

Switch itself is faulty (lights that are incorporated in to a switch may not necessarily run through the same circuit as the actual feed to whatever the switch operates, a good idea as it would prevent nuisances such as if the bulb blew on that switch for instance as it would stop the seat heater working)

Short circuit somewhere, although I see you've pulled the fuse and it stays on, which is most peculiar. Although still not beyond the realms of possibility. Make absolutely sure it is definitely the correct fuse.

Sticky relay? At a guess any offending relay would be a soldered in one somewhere in a control module, try a new module first from somewhere if possible to see if this fixes the issue or if it is easy to open without breaking, see if there are any physical signs of shorting or excessive heat on the circuit board.

Those are just a few ideas of mine, hope you manage to get somewhere
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 11:22   #6
reevesy

thanks......seems like the internet is full of people who cant get there heater seats to work....none that cant switch them off!

fuse has really confused me as i thought that would be the easiest solution.

i've triple checked its the right fuse..theres 2 15 amp ones side by side...one for the passenger side and one for the drivers side heated seat

..pulled both just to make sure.....key on ...both control switches still light up when pushed....left them out and went for a drive...drivers side seat still heats up!

seems swapping modules would involve disconnecting the battery ..waiting half an hour...remove both seats and swap modules over

seems a lot of work.....would just be happy finding out which wire/plug i can safely pull out and leave just so the thing wont come on ?