Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated Windscreen Retrofit

Views : 2278

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 23:13   #1
JES

Default Heated Windscreen Retrofit

Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone has retrofitted a heated windscreen into the V70 or has any information on it? I am surprised that there’s no posts (that I could find) of anyone doing it.

James
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 23:59   #2
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone has retrofitted a heated windscreen into the V70 or has any information on it? I am surprised that there’s no posts (that I could find) of anyone doing it.

James
Probably because it's not possible or not economically viable.
Aside from physical electrics you would need a software install in order for the Sensus system to control it.
TBH it's nice to have in the winter months when icy but does not contribute much once the climate control is up to temperature as it only ever runs for 5 minutes at a time before switching itself off.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 00:16   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

I think the newer models with the 'Winter Pack' spec have them. Volvo heaters do warm up quickly, even from a cold start. The a/c automatically engages in my car when I select front window defrost, as it does it many other models too I believe. Make sure that your a/c is actually coming on (Green light indication on the a/c button, plus you'll hear the pump kicking into action). It makes a difference clearing the windscreen on these colder mornings, as it dehumidifies the air & gets rid of the mist quickly.

From what I've researched, manufacturing a single heated windscreen is expensive. Therefore, many companies only manufacture them in bulk & they aren't sold on an individual basis.

Last edited by Kev0607; Dec 12th, 2019 at 00:28.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:21   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The heating on my XC70 comes on very quickly. Can anyone confirm that the car actually has an electric ceramic heating element in the ventilation system to provide instant heating before the engine comes up to temperature upon which time the engine heat takes over and the element shuts down. Or am I imagining that I heard this.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:58   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

A few points....

The electrically heated windscreens are brilliant and clear a lightly misted window in around 30 seconds, a heavily frozen windscreen in around 2 mins. As said generally bundled with the Winter Pack, I have them on my XC60 & V40.

However the system that controls them is quite complex... i.e. it will only operate the windscreen in certain conditions including battery charge levels and alternator output. Like many Volvo factory options, retro-fitting it as per Volvo spec is likely to be effectively impossible.

However you could in theory (I've not done this on a Volvo but have done this on a couple of Land Rover models) fit a heated screen, then then wire it to a relay operated by a separate switch or say the heated rear window/door mirror circuit.

With regard to the A/C, this is activated along with air recycling when the defrost button is pressed as it dehumidifies the air, but I think I am correct in saying that the compressor will not run below 4 degrees C to prevent condenser icing.

Not sure if the P3 70 platform had a ceramic heater but the S40/V50 did and it was just about noticeable.

I also have it in my head (Clan will likely know...) that during Ford ownership Volvo were prevented from offering cars with heated screens (i.e. pre 2011 MY).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 12th, 2019 at 12:03.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 12:21   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The heating on my XC70 comes on very quickly. Can anyone confirm that the car actually has an electric ceramic heating element in the ventilation system to provide instant heating before the engine comes up to temperature upon which time the engine heat takes over and the element shuts down. Or am I imagining that I heard this.
Yes all new volvo models have had a ceramic electric heating element in the heater since 2004 , it is about the size of a pollen filter , that is what the thick red and black wires are for in the footwell by the pollen filter.

An electrically heated front screen in a Volvo is totally unnecessary and uneconomic they have managed very well since 1968 with their high capacity heaters and 92C thermostats , the screen is de-iced in just about 3 minutes from a cold start even from a 45 year old 240 . The electric screen is a novelty to make the New car option list match other manufacturers which do not have such good demist systems ..

A Triplex Electrically Heated screen is very worthwhile for classic cars however ! No , Ford did not invent the heated screen , Triplex had them in the early 60's exactly the same construction as today's .. the Mini's and Imps had heated screens for the 1967 Monte Carlo Rally ...
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 22:36   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes all new volvo models have had a ceramic electric heating element in the heater since 2004 , it is about the size of a pollen filter , that is what the thick red and black wires are for in the footwell by the pollen filter.

An electrically heated front screen in a Volvo is totally unnecessary and uneconomic they have managed very well since 1968 with their high capacity heaters and 92C thermostats , the screen is de-iced in just about 3 minutes from a cold start even from a 45 year old 240 . The electric screen is a novelty to make the New car option list match other manufacturers which do not have such good demist systems ..

A Triplex Electrically Heated screen is very worthwhile for classic cars however ! No , Ford did not invent the heated screen , Triplex had them in the early 60's exactly the same construction as today's .. the Mini's and Imps had heated screens for the 1967 Monte Carlo Rally ...
With respect I have to disagree.... only this morning I was reversing out of the drive with a frost free screen after 2 mins of idling, the Mrs was another 5 minutes waiting for her petrol golf to do that the old way. Whilst older (petrol) cars may defrost quickly, modern high efficiency diesels produce very little heat at tickover.

My Ford point was not that they invented them but did not allow Volvo to fit them I think - are there any pre 2010 Volvos with them? I may well be wrong on that one.......
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 12th, 2019 at 22:38.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 09:30   #8
JonnyA

I like the quicker defrost/demist but one thing i don't like about heated screens is the diffraction patterns you get in certain lights - particularly night driving.
but i am thinking of retro fitting heated screens to my ol' landy
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 09:44   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
With respect I have to disagree.... only this morning I was reversing out of the drive with a frost free screen after 2 mins of idling, the Mrs was another 5 minutes waiting for her petrol golf to do that the old way. Whilst older (petrol) cars may defrost quickly, modern high efficiency diesels produce very little heat at tickover.

My Ford point was not that they invented them but did not allow Volvo to fit them I think - are there any pre 2010 Volvos with them? I may well be wrong on that one.......
Ford didn't dictate to volvo on things like that .. it was just that heated screens became common all of a sudden , it is all about marketing ... volvos do not need a heated screen .. and the above post is valid too about the fine wires interfering with vision ..
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 21:46   #10
JES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
However the system that controls them is quite complex... i.e. it will only operate the windscreen in certain conditions including battery charge levels and alternator output. Like many Volvo factory options, retro-fitting it as per Volvo spec is likely to be effectively impossible.
It is interesting to think about what optional component wiring would and wouldn't be included in a standard harness, unless there is a dedicated control module for the windscreen then a re-flash of existing modules must be possible. However it seems that this is not a system that's often explored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

I would also agree with Tannaton that a diesel engine doesn't generate a great deal of excess heat from a cold start, perhaps this defrost ability is true of petrol engined Volvos. To be fair, I haven't tried to sit and wait in the car for 3 minutes for ice to defrost so I'm willing to give it a try if time permits.

Thank you all for the replies, I'll update if I find anything interesting.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote