Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Connected Safety

Views : 6493

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2019, 22:28   #51
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

interesting, and fantastic if this is what it really does.

My impression from the Volvo information is that if another Volvo in the vicinity has any safety feature activated (eg hazard lights) then it sends a message to other Volvo's in the near area at the time; so unless another Volvo (with the system activated) was just ahead of you I don't see how it worked.

It will be good to start to hear of other experiences so we can understand how this is working.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 22:41   #52
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
interesting, and fantastic if this is what it really does.

My impression from the Volvo information is that if another Volvo in the vicinity has any safety feature activated (eg hazard lights) then it sends a message to other Volvo's in the near area at the time; so unless another Volvo (with the system activated) was just ahead of you I don't see how it worked.

It will be good to start to hear of other experiences so we can understand how this is working.
Maybe I’m conflating two separate systems here but the slippery road alert is an update to the cloud about road conditions - I have assumed it’s part of the connected safety system as there isn’t a separate icon for this as far as I have noticed and you have to enable data and agree to share car connectivity in sensus, but in my mind it’s worth it. There was definitely no other car around with hazards flashing this morning:

Here is the animation link from Volvo

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...tration-on-v60
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 10:34   #53
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

no, I think you're right:

"...The system can alert the driver if slippery driving conditions are detected. Drivers of other vehicles with Connected Safety activated can also be notified of the slippery driving conditions via an Internet connection...."

But that does seem to infer that another car must have passed that way (and indeed 'slipped') for the alert to be generated.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 18:31   #54
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
no, I think you're right:

"...The system can alert the driver if slippery driving conditions are detected. Drivers of other vehicles with Connected Safety activated can also be notified of the slippery driving conditions via an Internet connection...."

But that does seem to infer that another car must have passed that way (and indeed 'slipped') for the alert to be generated.
Yes another car must “slip” or have traction control activate to share the alert. I would guess that Volvo employ a time dependent algorithm to determine how long to keep the alert active.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 19:24   #55
volvo s60 2001

Hi.

This is what I experienced today. I accelerated hard on wet road and saw the symbol (see below) flashing on the driver's display. So in my opinion most of you who saw similar symbols were actually the drivers who triggered the alarm for danger, unless you have seen double sized symbol ( I saw a normal size symbol which is the same size as the speed limit symbol).

This is from the website :

Alarm on slippery driving conditions
If your own car detects reduced friction between your tyres and the road, information on this can be sent to vehicles approaching your own car's position.

If a slippery conditions alarm is triggered, this symbol is displayed in the instrument panel – both in your own car and in approaching vehicles with Connected Safety activated which have received the information and are approaching the slippery area.

When the approaching vehicle is close to the slippery section of road, the symbol doubles in size on the vehicle's instrument panel.

Hope this can clear some doubts how the 'connected safety' works.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo s60 2001 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 19:54   #56
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post
Hi.

This is what I experienced today. I accelerated hard on wet road and saw the symbol (see below) flashing on the driver's display. So in my opinion most of you who saw similar symbols were actually the drivers who triggered the alarm for danger, unless you have seen double sized symbol ( I saw a normal size symbol which is the same size as the speed limit symbol).

This is from the website :

Alarm on slippery driving conditions
If your own car detects reduced friction between your tyres and the road, information on this can be sent to vehicles approaching your own car's position.

If a slippery conditions alarm is triggered, this symbol is displayed in the instrument panel – both in your own car and in approaching vehicles with Connected Safety activated which have received the information and are approaching the slippery area.

When the approaching vehicle is close to the slippery section of road, the symbol doubles in size on the vehicle's instrument panel.

Hope this can clear some doubts how the 'connected safety' works.
This is exactly what I have been seeing. I have seen it 5 times now and everytime I have seen it, it was as I drive the last 20 yards or so and then wait at the roundabout to come off my estate. This is always at 20mph or less and so I very much doubt it is me triggering the alarm. It has also only just started doing it. It didn't flash like traction control, it just comes on for maybe 20-30 seconds. The roundabout off my estate is a busy old place with many people taking their chances, so I would imagine people wheelspinning is not unusual....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 20:04   #57
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
This is exactly what I have been seeing. I have seen it 5 times now and everytime I have seen it, it was as I drive the last 20 yards or so and then wait at the roundabout to come off my estate. This is always at 20mph or less and so I very much doubt it is me triggering the alarm. It has also only just started doing it. It didn't flash like traction control, it just comes on for maybe 20-30 seconds. The roundabout off my estate is a busy old place with many people taking their chances, so I would imagine people wheelspinning is not unusual....

Well I think the car's sensors are a lot more sensitive than the people and when it comes to lost of traction as described in the website, that doesn't mean the wheels are definitely spinning. It could be just couple of millimetres one wheel spinning or skidding more than the others, which the driver can't sense, but the system will.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 20:53   #58
xsaab
Master Member

This could explain some "random" alerts I have received in the car, by the time I have looked at the display and tried to understand it - it has passed and I put it down to Nanny Volvo having a "tantrum" in future I will take more attention.

So thank you for the information.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 21:53   #59
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Lightbulb

Guys listen up... maybe my testimonial can light up the discussion and give some lights about the subject.
Almost everyday i go to my parents house to check how they are and say Hi. My parents house is located on a neighbourhood outside Lisboa center.

It is a small and quiet neighborhood with narrow streets for car traffic and with lots of gardens and abundant grove, with primacy for pedestrian. Almost side by side my parents house there's a elementary school. It's a narrow and sloping street, no place to park cars, with high and thick road bumps due to the proximity of the school to a zebra crossing.

You have to go really slow and there's no slippery conditions or any chance for wheel spinning. Almost all the times i pass in front of school, this symbol appears to me. Always same size. Never seen it double size as far as i can remember. Not completely sure about it although.

And you know why it appears to me?

Because i almost bet... for sure some Dad or some Mum who drives a Volvo with connected safety system on, stops the car in front of the school gates, to pick up her or his children, and activates hazard lights.

So in my opinion the system warns Volvo drivers in two ways. When hazard lights are on because of some volvo driver that activated them or when the system detects slippery road conditions via car wheel sensors.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Oct 25th, 2019 at 22:50.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 22:13   #60
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

hmm, I rather suspect I (at least) will generally disregard such frequent warnings - a bit like my parking sensors when I'm sure there is just a bit more space ...