Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 gearbox issue

Views : 1003

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2020, 16:50   #1
BWT

Default V90 gearbox issue

Hi
Can anyone tell me if the have issues with the gearbox, when slowing on approach to a roundabout for instance if the exit is clear and you sink the throttle pedal the car appears to get confused as if does not know which gear it should be in and there is a dreadful lag.
Can anyone tell me what gearbox is in these cars if its a ZF then it can be re- flashed which would hopefully put paid to this dangerous issue.

Thanks
Beetee
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 21:31   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Hi
Can anyone tell me if the have issues with the gearbox, when slowing on approach to a roundabout for instance if the exit is clear and you sink the throttle pedal the car appears to get confused as if does not know which gear it should be in and there is a dreadful lag.
Can anyone tell me what gearbox is in these cars if its a ZF then it can be re- flashed which would hopefully put paid to this dangerous issue.

Thanks
Beetee
If you put the car into the Off-Road mode & drive it short distance over 15 mph (check the cars manual) then that will reset the cars auto gearbox to default settings.

It would help if you could in future give us a few more clues as to what drivetrain, etc your V90 has - try adding it to your forum's signature as per my below example - which will help us be more specific in giving advise.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 10:43   #3
BWT

Hi Simon
The car as far as i know does not have an off road mode so not sure how to reset it to default mode can this still be done.

The car is a D5 AWD r-Design pro.

I will add the details you suggested to my signature

Thanks
Beetee
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 11:12   #4
skippyfox
VOC Member

Don't know what gearbox is fitted to the V90. But occasionally I've had the same problem. Like you say it's as if the box can't decide what gear to be in. I've now adopted a more gentle throttle pressure and let the torque of the engine pull the car away instead of giving it a bootfull.....

MY68 V90 D5 awd R Design Bursting Blue.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 16:54   #5
BWT

Hi Skippyfox
Whilst i dont drive like i stole it, it is very disconcerting when you do put your foot down to be left in the path of an oncoming artic while this thing decided what gear it wants. My old 1964 Hillman Imp had more poke about it than this thing to be honest i am seriously thinking about getting rid as i think on these occasions it is downright dangerous.

Volvo V90 R Design Pro D5 in Grey