Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water in drivers footwell XC90 2013

Views : 5668

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 19:52   #11
Fredvolvo

Default Water in drivers footwell

I have Noticed there is a small piece of plastic or rubber trim which measures approximately 6 inches in length and 1 inch in width, this is missing from the bottom of the drivers corner of the windscreen and appears to act as a trim for the water off the windscreen to run off into the drain area/channel. There is a piece in place on the passenger side.

Does anybody know the name of this so I can google it and order it. I have tried a different number of names but had no success

I’m not sure how to put a photograph of the missing area on here but i’ve tried to attach it below?
Fredvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 09:42   #12
gmonag
Premier Member

Don't worry about it - it is just cosmetic. If you want to replace it , I would go to a breakers' yard and find one.
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 12:30   #13
Andrew Porter

Just thought I'd share my experience of water in the driver's footwell. Last week we had 24 hours of 40mph sideways south-westerly rain. There had been some intermittent rainfall prior to this, but nothing on the biblical scale of the last lot. My 14-plate XC90 was parked nose-in to it for the entire duration. The following morning, on opening the driver's door, I noticed something in the order of 2" of water in the footwell. Now, prior to this, on a short trip to deliver food, I had noticed the ABS warning light had come on and would not go out. Anyway, I baled the car out as best I could. Then it wouldn't start (flat battery). Then I noticed the clock display had disappeared. Then I noticed loads of tree debris clogging things up at the base of the windscreen (so I cleared it all out). I managed to borrow a portable dehumidifier and set it up on maximum strength on a board on the driver's seat, checking occasionally for water and emptying the reservoir at regular intervals. Quite a lot of water came out. After jump-starting off my bro-in-law's car and going for a good blast around the neighbourhood, with the a/c on and the low level blower on max, the ABS light stayed off and the clock function returned, and hopefully I put enough charge into the battery to avoid any more discharge. The overall experience has put me in the mind to invest in a car port. I might also pop it in to my local dealer (FRF, Swansea) for a healthcheck. Anyway, the whole experience leaves me with one question. If water ingress is due to faulty sealing of one of the seams at the manufacturing stage, should Volvo (via their dealer network) have done a recall to put it right? Seems to me they should have. Or is this just me being naive?
Andrew Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Porter For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 13:45   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Porter View Post
...Then I noticed loads of tree debris clogging things up at the base of the windscreen (so I cleared it all out). ...
.... If water ingress is due to faulty sealing of one of the seams at the manufacturing stage, should Volvo (via their dealer network) have done a recall to put it right? ...
If the draining of the windscreen is not clear due to debris then the water can rise to a level where it is above the air inlet rain guard and flows through the heater system into the interior of the car

That is an owner neglect issue, not a manufacturer issue.

I learnt many decades ago always to keep the water channels free from organic debris.

On my house, my boat and my car.

A few minutes inspection and cleaning every now and then prevents long term damage and flooding.

And if you live in a very rainy climate, then you should open the bonnet and clear any debris at least once a month, maybe more often.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Jul 6th, 2020 at 13:52.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 23:36   #15
binty

Exclamation Remove the carpets and dry them

Dear Andrew,
If you have had that much water in you need to check under the carpets they are very deep foam and can hold litres of water that damage the electrics if not dried out.
Easiest way I found is to unclip the carpet along the transmission tunnel and slide your fingers down at the side of the parking brake until you can curl then under the carpet. It is deep.....
If it’s wet under there the carpet needs to come out to dry.
Front carpet removal
Unclip the plastic door sill finisher by pulling up and back.
Remove the front seatbelt runner bolts and slacken the rears but leave in place.
Remove the three amplifier bolts under the drivers seat but leave it in place
Then tilt the seat back, pull the back edge of the carpet clear then slide it all up and out.
Good luck
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 00:02   #16
Andrew Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Porter View Post
Just thought I'd share my experience of water in the driver's footwell. Last week we had 24 hours of 40mph sideways south-westerly rain. There had been some intermittent rainfall prior to this, but nothing on the biblical scale of the last lot. My 14-plate XC90 was parked nose-in to it for the entire duration. The following morning, on opening the driver's door, I noticed something in the order of 2" of water in the footwell. Now, prior to this, on a short trip to deliver food, I had noticed the ABS warning light had come on and would not go out. Anyway, I baled the car out as best I could. Then it wouldn't start (flat battery). Then I noticed the clock display had disappeared. Then I noticed loads of tree debris clogging things up at the base of the windscreen (so I cleared it all out). I managed to borrow a portable dehumidifier and set it up on maximum strength on a board on the driver's seat, checking occasionally for water and emptying the reservoir at regular intervals. Quite a lot of water came out. After jump-starting off my bro-in-law's car and going for a good blast around the neighbourhood, with the a/c on and the low level blower on max, the ABS light stayed off and the clock function returned, and hopefully I put enough charge into the battery to avoid any more discharge. The overall experience has put me in the mind to invest in a car port. I might also pop it in to my local dealer (FRF, Swansea) for a healthcheck. Anyway, the whole experience leaves me with one question. If water ingress is due to faulty sealing of one of the seams at the manufacturing stage, should Volvo (via their dealer network) have done a recall to put it right? Seems to me they should have. Or is this just me being naive?
An update for you all. Long story short. It turned out, on examination by an Autoglass forensic technician, to be a faulty replacement windscreen installation. There was the tiniest of tiny gaps between the start of the sealing bead and its end. Upshot was that Autoglass took the car away and paid for the remedial work in full, which included a new properly-fitted and sealed screen (of course), new carpets and sound insulation throughout, new control box and loom, new battery, plus of course full drying-out before all of this could be done. They also gave us a hire car free of cost to us for the entire period.We now have our XC90 back after six months with Autoglass.
Andrew Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Porter For This Useful Post: