Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 V70 2.5 turbo petrol auto whining noise.

Views : 862

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2018, 06:28   #1
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Default 1997 V70 2.5 turbo petrol auto whining noise.

I've had this car for about 18 months now, and it's been pretty faultless, but a couple of weeks ago it started making a high pitched whining noise when cold. As the temperature rises, it stops abruptly. My first thought was the serpentine belt. I've got another one, but apparently it's for engines without aircon, so bought in error. I'll get another one next week.
I've WD'd the pulleys with no effect. The noise does not alter with revs.
Yesterday, I checked the atf, car hot after a run, went through all the gears, atf level absolutely fine.
My next port of call will be nipping up the inlet manifold bolts and checking for loose or split vacuum pipes.
My bet is the belt though.
The noise makes absolutely no difference to the way the car runs and drives. There are no lights on the dash. It doesn't sound life threatening, just bloomin' annoying.
Has anybody else had this?

Last edited by Tetleysmooth; May 24th, 2018 at 08:01.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:03   #2
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Been out this morning and pulled the dipstick and removed the oil filler cap. No difference.
As soon as it reached the magical operating temperature, the noise just stopped. It's got me baffled.
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:33   #3
Mark1Stu

I'm no expert, but if it's a turbocharged engine, could it be the turbo bearings?
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:44   #4
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front offside of the engine, but I can't be 100% certain.
Wouldn't turbo bearings be noisy all the time, rather than just a couple of minutes?
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:15   #5
John97Tdi
Master Member

Hi, next time you want to start the car from cold why not take the belt off and see if the noise is still there? At least that should give you some place to start.

Cheers

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:47   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
Hi, next time you want to start the car from cold why not take the belt off and see if the noise is still there? At least that should give you some place to start.
Indeedy...easy check this one. It's also gives you a chance to check the pulleys for lateral wear. If you're using original WD40 on the pulleys it'll most probably have dried off as it's only a penatrant. Try using some copper grease spray but make sure it doesn't reach the belt. WD40 is great for many many things, including cleaning grease off belts, but it's not a lubricant as such.

Trying a new auxiliary belt is probably a good idea as they can produce strange vibrations and sounds. What about aircon...any difference in sound when activated?

Also, for good measure, check all the studs on the exhaust manifold are present and also look for any evidence of blackening around each port due to damaged or missing gasket. Symptoms of this can be a metallic/echo sound which then disappears as the metal and gaskets come up to temp.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:05   #7
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Thanks for all this advice chaps.
I'll try these things when I get the new belt.
Old May 24th, 2018, 15:20   #8
sdg1970
Master Member

My 97 V70r is doing this. It started a few back - from cold it sounds terrible, like somebody blowing into a Kazoo, or that sound you get when you put a blade of grass between both thumbs and blow. Im also now getting whitish smoke on hot idle, or when accelerating slightly when hot. I suspect a worn turbo and intend to change it over the coming weeks. Little or no oil usage as yet though and certainly no smoke when cold.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 03:22   #9
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Well, went to work last night - no noise.
Left all my cards at home that I need for my job, so had to go back and get them - no noise, nothing on the way back to work either.
The car has never used a spot of oil, and doesn't smoke whatsoever.

It's got me scratching my head.
Old May 25th, 2018, 05:22   #10
phatboy130
1999 V70 XT Auto

Maybe way of tangent here, but my wifes 440 did a similar thing for a while on and off, turned out alternator was knackered!!

740 / 850 / V70 / 440

Current: 1999 V70 XT Auto
phatboy130 is offline   Reply With Quote