Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone know what this connector is for?

Views : 1746

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2018, 13:28   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Green with a red trace. It's held on to the engine with a small metal clip to hold it downwards (that's on the 745 breaker as the proper car is currently at the doctors) - Bob
That's the colours VW use for air con so I would imagine air con related.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 15:42   #12
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
After going through several wiring diagrams, i found a number of possibilities.

One is the feed for the cold start injector (not used on LH-Jetronic), ...........

Might have missed something, eyes got a bit glaxzed after staring at a screen full of schematics!
Dave ... the first of the UK LH2.4 had cold start injectors (like my two). They where subsequently done away with as the technology developed and electronics took over with the introduction of LH 2.4.x (seem to recall it was .4) in about 1993 (?) or so.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 15:44   #13
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
It's certainly in the right place for the air-con clutch trigger wire. If the car doesn't have air-con, that may be your answer.
Neither of my 2 have a/c.
Old May 24th, 2018, 17:52   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
That's the colours VW use for air con so I would imagine air con related.
It's also the colour Seat used on the 1988 Ibiza for the fuel tank sender from the tank to the first Header Joint (HJ) where it changed colour then changed three more times (4 changes total!) before reaching the gauge!

It's 30 years since i was working on Seats so might have mis-remembered but there were definitely at least 4 changes and fairly sure the one nearest the tank was green/red.

Oh yeah, it's also the colour Volvo used from the RSR to the injectors but that also changes colour to green and also the colour Honda/Rover use for ignition fed wires.

In other words, imagination isn't a safe game to play with electrics!

Quote:
Dave ... the first of the UK LH2.4 had cold start injectors (like my two). They where subsequently done away with as the technology developed and electronics took over with the introduction of LH 2.4.x (seem to recall it was .4) in about 1993 (?) or so.
Quote:
Neither of my 2 have a/c.
That's interesting Bob - i've not seen an early LH2.4 with the cold start injector, i know my LH2.2 doesn't have it. The theory behind it was that with more accurate mixture control via increased injector time and only opening the Idle Control Valve as much as was needed, the cold start injector wasn't necessary.
All my B230Es had it but that was K-Jetronic so a totally different animal anyway.

My 760 should have A/C (it's all there except the evaporator which is sat in my shed awaiting fitting, troubleshooting, vac down and fill - then hope! ) but the compressor is under the RH bank so not easy to see and it's just started raining here!
That's doubly annoying as i've not only just put the 760 through a car wash and it looks lovely and clean (on the outside at least!) but just bought some ready-mixed (just add water) concrete to widen a path in my garden and had hoped to empty the bags and soak it with the hose and let it do its stuff. Can't if it's qissing it down!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 20:24   #15
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

It does go the AC compressor.

I've been curious about that thing for a long time but I only recently picked up a 940 with AC, and this thread prompted me to look!
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2018, 00:16   #16
bob12
bob12

Quote:
It's also the colour Seat used .......................

That's interesting Bob - i've not seen an early LH2.4 with the cold start injector, i know my LH2.2 doesn't have it. The theory behind it was that with more accurate mixture control via increased injector time and only opening the Idle Control Valve as much as was needed, the cold start injector wasn't necessary. ...................
Oh sh1t (maybe censored!!) you got me thinking now. I thought I had that point sorted years ago!! What's that thing then that looks like an injector with similar connectors that comes up into the intake manifold from underneath?
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2018, 00:42   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Oh sh1t (maybe censored!!) you got me thinking now. I thought I had that point sorted years ago!! What's that thing then that looks like an injector with similar connectors that comes up into the intake manifold from underneath?
Without seeing it i couldn't say Bob, from your description it could well be a cold start injector but have you got a picture?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 12:35   #18
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Without seeing it i couldn't say Bob, from your description it could well be a cold start injector but have you got a picture?
I'll try and get a pic Dave, but you can hardly see the thing as it's tucked away right in the mass of the intake manifold and the injectors/rail etc, etc. Doesn't help that its upside down into the manifold!
Old May 25th, 2018, 19:55   #19
ThermalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
It's certainly in the right place for the air-con clutch trigger wire. If the car doesn't have air-con, that may be your answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete940 View Post
It does go the AC compressor.

I've been curious about that thing for a long time but I only recently picked up a 940 with AC, and this thread prompted me to look!
My car does not have AC so I think it's safe to say we have found our wire!
ThermalShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 21:45   #20
bob12
bob12

Quote:
I'll try and get a pic Dave, but you can hardly see the thing as it's tucked away right in the mass of the intake manifold and the injectors/rail etc, etc. Doesn't help that its upside down into the manifold!
I haven't got a pic yet but not necessary as I have just found my LH2.4 Green Book, and the Bosch part data for my car (which is now sadly no longer available on the Bosch website).

I was mistaken calling 'it' an injector. Actually is a 'cold start valve' (Bosch 0 280 170 446) which was done away with July 1992. The Jetronic system for my car was designated LH2.4.1. Thereafter for these Volvo cars it became LH2.4.4. E&OE

Tags
b230ft