Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Terraced House - Hibrid

Views : 1252

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2018, 18:44   #1
MacXC60T5

Default Terraced House - Hibrid

So if you live in a terraced house like wot I do and you want to stay a good customer of Volvo you are well and truly stuffed as not possible to charge across a pavement. Looks like I will be going back to Jaguar.
Old May 24th, 2018, 21:59   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

I hit this brick wall when I went to look at a V60 Hybrid. There’s no real answer to the problem until roadside charging stations are installed, if ever.

TT
Old May 24th, 2018, 22:11   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

Don't hybrids charge themselves up as they trundle about the place?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 23:35   #4
MacXC60T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Yes they do for a full charge you get about 20 miles. In my case I looked at vehicles that were designed to charge from the motor only and that was the Lexus 450 RX. If you investigate the weight of the T8 XC60 and the T8 XC60 I believe they are both 2.5 tons plus including the Electric motors. Even Volvo have stated that by 2020 all their vehicles will be electric. Rethinking at my age of 76 by the time 2025 comes around I will be not far off 90 not going to get too excited but may have a bit of fun and go for the 3lt Petrol F Pace R Sport.
Old May 25th, 2018, 00:13   #5
HDAV
Master Member

Do you park on the street? Does that street have lighting?

Breaking news streets all over the country wired with power.........

You’ll have an account a card or fob you plug car in to on street charger scan card etc charging starts billed at end of month like your phone bill or I guess payg with top ups it’s no a huge change you can’t gaurentee you get the charger outside your house every night.....

Tech is there (disabled drivers is a bigger issue) just needs the investment.....

Chicken and egg you won’t buy a car you can’t charge, company won’t install infrastructure with no demand that’s where policy has to lead....

Or car “ownership” models change..... most cars spend most of their time not doing what they are designed to do.....move....
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 06:43   #6
inchindown
Futurist

I wonder how people will get on who live in blocks of flats, especially high rise blocks?
inchindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 07:28   #7
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I had a new Lexus IS300H (a regen hybrid, ie didn’t plug in to charge) for a year or so, lovely car, but a lot of the time EV mode wasn’t available, with petrol engine being 'assisted' by lecky motor above a certain speed.

EV was good in stop start or city traffic, if fully charged, though, but IMHO with its 2.5 ltr ICE, no way did it solve emissions/pollution problems to any great extent, late 30s mpg overall.

Loved the car, but not really because it was a hybrid.
Old May 25th, 2018, 09:28   #8
Considered1
Premier Member

I’ve seen videos in London of on-street charging with a minor tweak of the lamppost. Strangely our village lampposts are pavement side not kerb side, maybe to ensure the Combine doesn’t take out your car whilst it’s connected to said lamppost. North Yorkshire County Council completely useless at doing anything with regards to electric vehicle charging points, still waiting for more than a holding reply after a year. There is government funding available if the councils ask for it.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 11:53   #9
NigelDay
Premier Member

I'm not sure the power capacity is available though lampposts. Most have now been changed to low-energy lighting, but even with the savings made on lighting power, a street full of electric cars all charging overnight is going to take quite some current from the system.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 12:02   #10
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I'm not sure the power capacity is available though lampposts. Most have now been changed to low-energy lighting, but even with the savings made on lighting power, a street full of electric cars all charging overnight is going to take quite some current from the system.
I agree, its unlikely that the installed cabling for lights could cope with the load.
Plus lampposts are usually sited away from the kerb for obvious safety reasons.
Could be a bigger market for those rubber cable ramp type protectors?

Unlikely to be an issue in my lifetime.