Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28616

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2016, 10:26   #111
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
The fact that windscreens not being bonded properly is such a safety issue is probably why Volvo replaced mine, where the bonding had failed, free of charge after 5½ years and 200000 km of driving.
They are embarrassed, simply put.

I noticed this due to water ingress. Mine did also flex outwards a bit when pushed, but not as much as mentioned here. Or I didn't dare pushing hard enough...
Once again Volvo's double standards when dealing with what should be warranty work. Uk owners always seem to get the s**ty end of the stick. Volvo Uk should be ashamed of the way they treat customers on faults that are due to poor build of their products.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 21:24   #112
apersson850
Premier Member

The warranty has expired a long time ago. This was covered by "goodwill" quite long after the warranty not taking care of it.
They replaced a troublesome tow hitch after 3½ years too, at no cost. Also well after the warranty expired. I'm pretty pleased with the care Volvo shows regarding their customers. At least their Swedish customers. Or at least me...
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 13:50   #113
Murphy0334

Hi All

I have a 2013 XC90, I had this problem the dealer replaced the sun roof cassette as they could not find any other problem. 7 months down the line and after a few days of being parked up with little to no rain I've now got a leak through the interior light again! 😡

I'm at the point where I wish I had not upgraded from my previous XC90!

Would really like to know where this water is getting in
Murphy0334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 14:47   #114
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy0334 View Post
Hi All

I have a 2013 XC90, I had this problem the dealer replaced the sun roof cassette as they could not find any other problem. 7 months down the line and after a few days of being parked up with little to no rain I've now got a leak through the interior light again! ��

I'm at the point where I wish I had not upgraded from my previous XC90!

Would really like to know where this water is getting in
Have you tried pushing upwards on the top centre of the windshield? If you have someone do this and stand outside the vehicle you may find that the seal has gone on the top of the windshield itself - you may be be able to even see the gap!

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:21   #115
footman

Default It's happened to me ..... 2008 v70 drips and problems...

OH No
Just about to set off home from the lakes, noticed drips on rear mirror yesterday so turned the car around as it was facing downhill.
This morning locked sign n centre console and no heaters fresh air A/ c radio etc.
Cannot drive as it is a wet steamy morning.
Waiting for Volvo assist.
Add me to the list!!!!!

V70 2008 96k
footman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 16:32   #116
stevef

2011 V70 D3. Leaking Windscreen.
I've just had the windscreen re-bonded. Another common fault around these years where top seal is not primed properly and deteriorates letting in water.
Could push windscreen from inside at top and see it come free on outside.
I had leaks running inside windscreen and the roof light filled up dripping on gear stick.
Didn't even bother Volvo. Volvo owners forum posted he had helpful re-bond by National Windscreens (many won't even offer to do this and insist on new screen). My local depot did a screen out, stripped and re-bond for £95. New screen is about £600, so I took the chance on it cracking when coming out, although it's very rare).
They have seen a few coming through with this problem.
- So much for the brand "Volvo for Life". Doesn't seem to apply to these newer models.
stevef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 17:19   #117
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef View Post
2011 V70 D3. Leaking Windscreen.
I've just had the windscreen re-bonded. Another common fault around these years where top seal is not primed properly and deteriorates letting in water.
Could push windscreen from inside at top and see it come free on outside.
I had leaks running inside windscreen and the roof light filled up dripping on gear stick.
Didn't even bother Volvo. Volvo owners forum posted he had helpful re-bond by National Windscreens (many won't even offer to do this and insist on new screen). My local depot did a screen out, stripped and re-bond for £95. New screen is about £600, so I took the chance on it cracking when coming out, although it's very rare).
They have seen a few coming through with this problem.
- So much for the brand "Volvo for Life". Doesn't seem to apply to these newer models.
Yes it was National Windscreens who did my windscreen and they were very confident they could remove and reseal the windscreen without breaking it - but of course I had to accept the risk that it might break and I would have to pay for a new windscreen. The Boss in the office here said they had come across quite a few Volvos with leaky windscreens and the reason they were confident that they could remove the windscreen without breaking it was the fact that the original adhesive used for the seal was so poor. The cost to remove and replace the windscreen in April 2015 was £72 (inc VAT).
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:11   #118
IJMOK

Good morning,
Over the weekend I took the plunge and traded in my trusty 2005 P2 S60 D5 for a MY 2012 V70 D5
Having driven it home and about for a few days I’m smitten,
I’m working though my snag list,
I seem to have a road noise/ wind noise issue coming from my A-Pilar on the driver’s side,
Its fine around town but becomes quite noticeable above 50 or so.
I’ve read a few threads on the dreaded window sealing issues, and was prepared that this could; be an issue when buying a P3
What I’m finding a little odd is that the car wasn’t used from last September, - presumably from being traded in, and where I bought it from had no undercover parking so it will of weathered the winter and shows no signs of that, either water or water marks on the roof lining etc,

I popped the trim off the windscreen and there is a good bead of sealant down that side, and the screen shows no signs of flexing as discussed previously,

It also has a rubber seal between the body and the top of the windscreen glass , unless I’m reading the thread wrong this seems to indicate it’s been resealed already possibly?

Given all that I’m starting to doubt that theory,
Is there anything else relater or otherwise I can check/try to identify the issue?

I was toying with taping the seams up (masking tape) to see if that made a difference
IJMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:49   #119
IJMOK

Just in-case anyone comes across this prior to me writing up my conclusion,

I'm fairly sure its not my screen, the tape did nothing.

However upon inspection looking behind the plastic A-pilar mount (behind the speaker) there is a rubber gromit on the passenger side that isn't on my driver side,

Masking this has mad a difference but not 100% solved it so i will at some point take it apart and replace the gromit, photos and write up to follow
IJMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IJMOK For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 19:40   #120
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJMOK View Post

I popped the trim off the windscreen and there is a good bead of sealant down that side, and the screen shows no signs of flexing as discussed previously,

It also has a rubber seal between the body and the top of the windscreen glass , unless I’m reading the thread wrong this seems to indicate it’s been resealed already possibly?
I watched for a bit when getting my screen replaced, so can say what I observed, but I'm not 100% sure it's accurate.

There is a rubber trim at the top, but this isn't what seals the glass in place. Below this rubber trim is a length of sealant applied to the car body. The inside of the glass sticks to this layer of sealant and forms the seal. But before pressing the glass against the sealant, it's necessary to apply a layer of primer on the glass to help it adhere to the sealant. Volvo seem to have forgotten to do this along the top edge of their V70/XC70 P3 windscreens up until about ~2011 (who knows what years were done properly ?). I watched the fitter apply primer to my new windscreen and he showed me that it hadn't been applied to the original, except along the edges and bottom.

So I don't think the rubber trim does much other than reduce wind noise and stop water/dust building up between the roof and inside edge of the glass.