Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roaming With Three Data Sim Card.

Views : 1194

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 18:57   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default Roaming With Three Data Sim Card.

Have just spent the last 5 days driving through various countries, outside the U.K. and compared to June, coverage for streaming has certainly improved.
I was able to listen to TuneIn, 95% of the time.

Three Mobile did state that they would be improving their service with other network carriers and this now seems to be happening.
If you just use a PAYG Mobile, like I do, then I can highly recommend the Three PAYG Data SIM card.

tem.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:14   #2
Giles11

I assume you have the in built modem - were you able to use Spotify as well as the radio? I have a SIM that allows 4 gb per month roaming but can't connect to Spotify outside my home country .
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:05   #3
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles11 View Post
I assume you have the in built modem - were you able to use Spotify as well as the radio? I have a SIM that allows 4 gb per month roaming but can't connect to Spotify outside my home country .
I do not have a built in modem.
I use a plug in HUAWEI CarF1 with the Three 12gb data sim.
Never tried Spotify, but seem to get most OTA stations on my travels.

Mainly use the internet connection for RTI information, updating some maps, apps and listening to Smooth Extra, etc.

tem.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:21   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
The limitation is Spotify's licensing arrangements which prevent cross-border use. However, wasn't the EU trying to stop this and create pan-European access for such services? Obviously, Switzerland isn't in the EU so not sure if it would benefit from this legislation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:41   #5
senwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I do not have a built in modem.
I use a plug in HUAWEI CarF1 with the Three 12gb data sim.
Never tried Spotify, but seem to get most OTA stations on my travels.

Mainly use the internet connection for RTI information, updating some maps, apps and listening to Smooth Extra, etc.

tem.
How much data do you find it consumes? I use it for RTI etc but when I listened to radio via TuneIn it used approx 125mb in an hour. I have a 24gg/24 month sim but that won't last long with those figures.
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:41   #6
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
How much data do you find it consumes? I use it for RTI etc but when I listened to radio via TuneIn it used approx 125mb in an hour. I have a 24gg/24 month sim but that won't last long with those figures.
I would need to check. But it has not used up that much data.
The sim has been in the car since last September and besides what I stated earlier, I normally have my phone connected to the internet, via the 3 Data sim, to receive WhatApp messages, etc.

125mb/hour sounds excessive to me.

tem.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 15:06   #7
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
Just checked and since the 3rd September 2017, 3.98GB of data has been used.

Streaming quality?
In the TuneIn settings there are three options: Normal - High - Extreme.
I have always used Normal.
Are you streaming at too high a quality and this being the reason for using up 125mb of data in an hour?

tem.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 20:02   #8
Giles11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The limitation is Spotify's licensing arrangements which prevent cross-border use. However, wasn't the EU trying to stop this and create pan-European access for such services? Obviously, Switzerland isn't in the EU so not sure if it would benefit from this legislation.
Good point which I hadn't thought of. Perhaps I'll only be able to listen via Bluetooth on Spotify albums I've saved on my phone... A pain as it seems the sound quality is not as good as when you stream through the car
Old May 22nd, 2018, 21:07   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Good point which I hadn't thought of. Perhaps I'll only be able to listen via Bluetooth on Spotify albums I've saved on my phone... A pain as it seems the sound quality is not as good as when you stream through the car
You could get round the geo-fencing by making a 4G VPN connection to Switzerland using your phone which would make it appear as if you're located in your home country. You'd then use Bluetooth or the Wi-Fi hotspot on the phone to connect to the car as usual. Normal Bluetooth audio has a maximum bit-rate of 2Mbps (note that's bits, not Bytes) so music is often re-compressed which reduces quality. Wi-fi is capable of a much higher bit-rate which may be obvious with Spotify's Extreme quality setting when played over a B&W system.

Admittedly, it means a bit of faffing around but whenever I'm at my place in France I VPN back to the UK over broadband so that I can access my usual online services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 23:11   #10
senwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Just checked and since the 3rd September 2017, 3.98GB of data has been used.

Streaming quality?
In the TuneIn settings there are three options: Normal - High - Extreme.
I have always used Normal.
Are you streaming at too high a quality and this being the reason for using up 125mb of data in an hour?

tem.
Thank you. I’ll double check the settings, haven’t touched them so will be as car came but will look.

Thanks for checking and replying back.
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote