Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent PCV advice please

Views : 2079

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2018, 09:40   #21
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Been out in the cool of the day and looked properly with FCR.

Both oxygen sensor DTCs have gone only to be replaced by EF1-411 ; throttle position sensor signal. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

When I clear the code with the engine running the EML goes off for approx 10 seconds only to return, which tells me this must be the fault I need to deal with. - on the hurry up !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:14   #22
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Son : leave that throttle body to me dad I can manage that

Dad ; ok mate but make sure you thighten the bolts in a logical order otherwise you will end up undoing one or more to get them all in and be wary we need to get new vacuum lines in and position them so that we can access the heads on the jubbly clips. Oh and don't forget the throttle and knock sensors Need connecting first

Son : ok dad

Yep comrades you guessed it ; removed throttle cover and associated pipes a short while ago, dangling very,much southward - throttle sensor connector !

MORAL OF THE STORY - even if your son is about to join RN as a weapons engineer, check his work on your beloved mota cos ultimately you are responsible !!!

Noticed just now smoke from dipstick now curiously absent.

Thanks one and all for your kind help through this epic journey !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:13   #23
volvo2
Master Member

I had understood that this was a 'relatively' straightforward job and was going to tackle it this summer, but reading all this I wonder now if I should just leave it as it is. It sounds very frustrating to go to all this trouble and only have a marginal improvement.

I have a slight positive pressure - inflates glove somewhat but is not blowing the dipstick out.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:52   #24
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Vol

It is a straightforward job, however as is the case with almost everything I do, every misfortune which could happen did happen.

In an odd way I have enjoyed doing it but I think if a decent garage said they would do it for £500 and you have the $ but not the time I would not hesitate to advise anybody to get the garage to do the job.

In any event a second pair of hands really does pay dividends especially on re-installation if doing yourself.

As I said dipstick smoke has disappeared since the TPS was clipped in, here's hoping we now pass the glove test !
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 13:37   #25
Faust
Master Member

Fair play to you Bigfella for sticking with it and getting the job done.

Volvo2: I did this job a couple of months (ish) back on my missus's V70 (non-turbo which makes things a bit easier, I'm led to believe).

Not a hard job, just a bit fiddly.

Only problem I had was the LPG system on her car: the nozzles fitted to the inlet manifold were too close to the manifold nuts on cylinder 1-3 to allow me to undo them. So the nozzles had to be removed. PITA to carefully wind them out with needle nosed mole grips as there were no flats so I couldn't use a spanner (the manifold had been drilled and tapped to accept threaded inserts) and my missus who was 'helping' managed to strip one of these treads when we were re-assembling the car. Bless 'er!

Managed to re-tap it ok, but it just meant a bit of extra faffing about.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 17:28   #26
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Well Faust as Jim Royle used to say " it won't do itself Barb " !

I think I was just a bit unlucky, the 20 hours included removing the new oil trap and plugging away at the ports as I was not entirely happy that a cable tie had done the job - did it again with a couple of flexible brushes off Amazon. In turn this taught me to release all the tension off the port pipe clips so reinstall took 15 mins not 2 hours, all part of the learning curve.

Ultimately I am left with absolute confidence that it has been done properly and that my friend is worth its weight in gold.

Your lpg nozzles sound like a nightmare !

With a view to helping our comrade how long do you think your PCV took you ?
Old May 23rd, 2018, 17:52   #27
Faust
Master Member

2.5 to 3 hours... maybe a bit longer.

Did have a helper (my missus) though which made re-assembly (especially the dipstick tube bracket) a bit easier.

This time included fag breaks and the odd cup of coffee.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 18:38   #28
Stu B
Master Member

Well done, Bigfella. It doesn't matter how long it took, just that it's done properly and I'm sure the skin will grow back on your knuckles...

I can't remember how long mine took, think I did it over a couple of days, maybe 5 - 6 hours ish but I don't rush and drink a lot of tea!
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:25   #29
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Thanks chaps

My recollection was that it was a 6-7 hour job but I must have spent almost this locating the vertical bolt, removing the very stubborn old gasket, replacing all vacuum lines and getting the blind bolt on the oil trap to bite.

Like you say Stu the satisfaction of knowing it has been done properly is what really matters. By way of example a well known indy on the A1 who shall remain nameless had my gal for 6 months last year to get an MOT. One fail was front suspension bush - they did the wrong side yet it passed the MOT on re-test. Since doing their job for them properly, the other side began creaking with the result that the suspension assembly has to come off to fit a new bush and top mount. I do not own an impact wrench of any kind and began the job at 0800 yday with penetrating oil. Visited every half hour, several attempts and at 1400 eventually managed to prise the 2 retaining bolts off - all this agg because somebody else could not do the job properly.

Don once, done properly, priceless
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:21   #30
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Thanks chaps

I do not own an impact wrench of any kind
Worth buying one IMO. Costs a bit, true. But when you think about how much time it saves…

I’ve got a DeWalt DCF899 and I’ve not found a bolt to beat it yet. Example: steering knuckle nuts & bolts on my missus’s V70. Been there since 1999… gun whizzed them off like they’d be done up finger tight yesterday.

Excellent bit of kit – got it on offer with 2 batteries for £288 (reduced from over £400!).

Mike