Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car collected - some pictures and first thoughts

Views : 1374

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:36   #1
OV4

Default Car collected - some pictures and first thoughts

On Monday morning I collected the new car from the dealer (hope photos are attached to this post).

The journey there was chaotic - late trains (one with a failing central locking system) meant that the 60 mile journey took just shy of four hours (an hour and a half longer than it should have done).

Sorting out of payment and 7-day drive-away insurance took a while, during which I got a splitting headache that lasted near the rest of the day. As a result I’m not sure I got the full benefit of the handover and certainly did not enjoy the drive home (although another four hour public transport marathon would have been worse).

Since getting home the car hasn’t moved; I’m on the ferry to Ireland at the moment and have taken my old Saab as I don’t feel comfortable taking the new Volvo on such a long trip until I’m more accustomed to it (a bit more on that below) and know how it responds to various road situations.

As a brief summary, my first thoughts on the car are as follows:

Hits
- it is quiet
- visibility seems good (although I can’t see the corners)
- on the run home it returned 48.5 mpg which is very good for a car of this size
- quality of sound from the (upgraded) sound system is excellent
- seat comfort is good, but not as good as Volvos of old. Perhaps this will change / my view will change as I do more miles
- the light interior is very pleasant, and the panoramic sunroof helps the car to feel brighter and airier than anything else that’s not an open car

Misses
- the steering is very light - in my opinion far, far too light, and nearly completely devoid of feel. Did not inspire confidence.
- the ride is a bit brittle over poor surfaces (something I’ve noticed on a number of modern cars)
- the rear door apertures are small. I have no children, so I do not have to battle with car seats - but when transporting my sister’s family it will be a bit tight (rear seat space is fine once you’re in).
- the brake pedal feel is strange, and I did not like it. Not predictable and as a result not very confidence inspiring.
- voice control does not like the way I speak. Every command was interpreted either as a destination input or as a request to call someone, even though I was trying to adjust the radio and the temperature.
- the engine noise is not very pleasant (a minor point, but one I will have to live with for as long as I have the vehicle - and I’ve been spoilt for the last ten years, one way or another).

That’s six points each way, so I’d best stop there - but there’s one final question: have I imagined it, or should a brand new vehicle (which mine was) come with a full tank of fuel? Mine came with just shy of a third of a tank and I’m not sure if the (otherwise very good and efficient) dealer has found a way of saving fifty quid. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D67942CB-86F3-41EA-8478-36A28B61D481.jpg (132.3 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 016964BA-6211-4251-B667-CA68ED905AC2.jpg (146.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 1AC54DF8-01B7-49E1-8FEC-287347859294.jpg (156.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 3BFFE32E-9ABE-4A5E-9A47-F3BA429D71DF.jpg (138.0 KB, 142 views)
OV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OV4 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:46   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

Congratulations (I think), nice looking car.

Pitty you seem out of practice, as we say in County Durham Shy Bairns get nowt!

I'm sure you'll get used to it but doesnt sound like you had a decent test drive if at all which amazes me!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 13:49   #3
tabber

Having recently got the XC90 T8 (I assume yours is the XC60 T8?) I totally get two of those points.

Brake pedal - It does feel odd in ours too, I agree. You get used to it though. I think its because the first bit of the pedal is just regen braking, but it just feels quite stiff to me.

Voice Control - Exactly the same happened to me. The first time I demo'd it at the dealership it all worked perfectly. On the drive home, it had no idea what I was on about. I'm convinced it is situation specific, so if the last thing you clicked on was navigation, in thinks everything you are talking about is to do with navigation. Try saying "Climate", "Navigation", "Media" etc. first, then it gives you a list of commands, and that works really well.

I like the ride and steering so far, so maybe its just what you are used to.
The Following User Says Thank You to tabber For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 15:53   #4
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV4 View Post
but there’s one final question: have I imagined it, or should a brand new vehicle (which mine was) come with a full tank of fuel? Mine came with just shy of a third of a tank and I’m not sure if the (otherwise very good and efficient) dealer has found a way of saving fifty quid. What do you think?
All depends on your negotiation skills at the time of finalising the deal Congrats!
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 16:23   #5
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Misses
- the steering is very light - in my opinion far, far too light, and nearly completely devoid of feel. Did not inspire confidence.
Steering is, as are many things, customisable.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 16:56   #6
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
I'm sure you'll get used to it but doesnt sound like you had a decent test drive if at all which amazes me!
I wasn’t able to test drive this particular version of the XC60 and I think the one I did was set up very differently. None of the dealers I contacted were able / willing to give me a long test drive, and the one nearest me in particular is in the midst of day-long traffic jams so you’d average about 4 mph.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 16:58   #7
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
All depends on your negotiation skills at the time of finalising the deal Congrats!
I’m new to the new-car-buying thing

On balance I’d rather have the discount I had than the tank of fuel, but this is something to learn and chalk up to experience.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 17:03   #8
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Steering is, as are many things, customisable.
Think I need to have a few hours when the traffic is quiet to try out different settings on the car so that I can work out what best suits me, certainly before doing any long trips. If the steering could be made heavier that would certainly help.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 17:12   #9
OV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber View Post
Having recently got the XC90 T8 (I assume yours is the XC60 T8?) I totally get two of those points.

Brake pedal - It does feel odd in ours too, I agree. You get used to it though. I think its because the first bit of the pedal is just regen braking, but it just feels quite stiff to me.

Voice Control - Exactly the same happened to me. The first time I demo'd it at the dealership it all worked perfectly. On the drive home, it had no idea what I was on about. I'm convinced it is situation specific, so if the last thing you clicked on was navigation, in thinks everything you are talking about is to do with navigation. Try saying "Climate", "Navigation", "Media" etc. first, then it gives you a list of commands, and that works really well.

I like the ride and steering so far, so maybe its just what you are used to.
Yes, this is a T8. I will have to get used to the brake pedal action and hope it seems less weird as my familiarity with it goes - and I’ll have to persist with the voice control as it’s a good thing in principle.

Reaction to ride and steering is, of course, very subjective My daily drivers currently are 20 and 28 years old so I’m used to cars with deeper sidewalls on the tyres and a slightly more compliant ride than seems to be the case with today’s vehicles.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 20:00   #10
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
I wasn’t able to test drive this particular version of the XC60 and I think the one I did was set up very differently. None of the dealers I contacted were able / willing to give me a long test drive, and the one nearest me in particular is in the midst of day-long traffic jams so you’d average about 4 mph.
Hat's off to you Sir, making the leap to Hybrid if this is the case, yes the brake pedal will be very different.

Incidentally guys, i'm impressed, how did we know it was a T8 from the photies I can see no badges..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote