Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 makes "puff" every 1? or 2 revolutions.

Views : 1979

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 15:08   #1
INeedToLiveLonger

Default D5 makes "puff" every 1? or 2 revolutions.

Hello
My car is Volvo S60 D5 from 2002 (52 uk registration) and i have found out that it is making some strange sound, it is very regular couple times per second at idle.
Every 1 revolution, meybe every 2 revolutions.
When closing windowses it is impossible to notice this sound.
It sounds like steam engine, just like air is passing small hole under quite high preassure.

I have opened lid and found that it comes from engine, there is some smoke coming from under plastic engine cover.

I have bought this car about 4 months ago, and there was no such sound for sure during buying. I have decicded to change timing belt, water pump and oils 2 weeks later, and this sound started after service, it was very quiet at the beginning so i thought it is just some dot on timing belt and it would disappear soon, it didn't, it is louder.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

What could be reason?
Head gasket is dead?
Exhaust pipe has hole inside?
There is hole in block?
Valve is broken?

You can notice smoke at 5 sec.... .

There is quite good power response, i was doing about 120 mph with all family and luggage on highway, so i think it would be impossible without 1 cylinder.

If you require high quality footage there is file here:
www.ineedtolivelonger.com/MVI_0588.AVI
INeedToLiveLonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 15:49   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

I think I can hear the noise but dont know what it is . Pull the plastic cover off , it just pulls vertically up off its mounts . Not likely to be the exhaust blowing , mine is still original on 2003 D5 at 144k , have a slight blow on the rear box on a 2001 V70 petrol with 155k but this is very obvious where the sound is coming from .

( ps just noticed the heading on your U tube , you could be the first person to have managed to get the F word past the automatic censorship programme )

Last edited by Bernard333; Aug 13th, 2010 at 15:59.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 16:14   #3
INeedToLiveLonger

What do you mean as rear box? Rear part of block?

Last edited by INeedToLiveLonger; Aug 13th, 2010 at 16:20.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 16:20   #4
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

I think it sounds like an injector not fully sealing were it mounts to the head/combustion chamber,sounds like high pressure blow by.

if so will require new injector mounting kit that comes with seals and new clamps,will also require new injector pipes too
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 22:28   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

No not the engine block I meant the rear exhaust box , its just blowing slightly , I plan to weld it rather than buy a new one . The original Volvo exhaust is really well made , I wouldnt normally hesitate to buy a cheaper aftermarket part but my experience of kwik fit etc is their exhausts make a lot more noise than the original and dont last half as long .

Last edited by Bernard333; Aug 13th, 2010 at 22:32.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 22:28   #6
INeedToLiveLonger

Thank you both for help.
Is it possible that guys who were changing timing belt are responsible for injectors, for example during lifting engine from car?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 22:54   #7
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedToLiveLonger View Post
Thank you both for help.
Is it possible that guys who were changing timing belt are responsible for injectors, for example during lifting engine from car?
no,there is no need to lift the engine/touch the injectors.

one way to test if its the injector/s blowing by is to remove the engine cover and pour a small amount of water over the injectors to see if the waters blown away while the engine is running or use a small length of garden hose and use as a stethoscope around the blowing area
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 23:59   #8
carl4u44
Master Member

Your engine sounds identical to mine now!
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 18:41   #9
VolvoForLife

Following grass hooper's advice i have found out that:
1 sponch under plastic cover is burned or melted
2. three right cylinders are covered with some black nasty substance - probably melted sponch mixed with diesel
3. there is hole in "black mass" over 5th cyllinder and when engine is on there is some mist spreading out of this hole, i presume this is fuel, frequency of "exhausts" is couple per second and mist from hole reaches about 30cm

Entertainment 1
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Entertainment2
+ YouTube Video

Any ideas?
VolvoForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 19:32   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

not sure what this gunge is - but I am certain that your puffing sound is because the injector is not seated properly. As suggested before get the reseating kit from Volvo and reseat the injector - almost guaranteed to solve the puffing issue.

The gunge could just be fuel that has collected after being sprayed about and congealing onto the foam rubber causing it to degrade and rot in place, then the heat could cause it to crystallise - but that is a guess
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote