Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Resistance when changing gears

Views : 2914

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2016, 01:10   #41
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlo 1 View Post
Where is reverse on your gear stick? left and up you will have an external slave cylinder, right and down you will have an internal one, if you have the latter then the slave cylinder and release bearing are a combined unit so if the release bearing has been changed then so has the slave cylinder.
Thanks, thought it was, and my reverse is bottom right so looks like it's def been changed.

Last edited by jcwacky; May 1st, 2016 at 01:39.
jcwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 02:36   #42
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwacky View Post
So, master cylinder has now been replaced, and I also got him to re-bleed it with genuine oil. But there are no changes in the symptoms.

(Although, the clutch bite point now seems to be much closer to the floor - not sure if this is a good or bad thing?)

So looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get him to strip to right down again, and hope that he finds an issue with the fitting (his liability) and not a faulty part (my liability).
Agreed, BUT I hope you are getting a loaner car and not paying for the series of Cork ups!

It does not matter what has been done, you are entitled to a new clutch, DMF AND Recon or good used gearbox.
Just remember what Col TE Lawrence said when he led the infamous camel charge on the mobile Turkish hot bath column, after they had forked over a local village, "No prisoners"!!
Gen Allenby the area commander was also peeved enough to say, "Get the forkin invoices and receipts and document everything for the legal artillery". "Pond them Poncenby (Cdr heavy artillery), GBP them"!

If I was a betting man (I am), I would go evens on a small claims court action, although a phase one petrol S40 is only worth breakers value or Fleabay give away price.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 12:45   #43
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Agreed, BUT I hope you are getting a loaner car and not paying for the series of Cork ups!

It does not matter what has been done, you are entitled to a new clutch, DMF AND Recon or good used gearbox.
Just remember what Col TE Lawrence said when he led the infamous camel charge on the mobile Turkish hot bath column, after they had forked over a local village, "No prisoners"!!
Gen Allenby the area commander was also peeved enough to say, "Get the forkin invoices and receipts and document everything for the legal artillery". "Pond them Poncenby (Cdr heavy artillery), GBP them"!

If I was a betting man (I am), I would go evens on a small claims court action, although a phase one petrol S40 is only worth breakers value or Fleabay give away price.
Agreed. Although I still can't be 100% sure that these issues are definitely related to the clutch change, as unfortunately I can't remember if I noticed them immediately afterwards, I'm only presuming at the moment.

I get on well with the garage and am confident they will make things right if they do discover it was their fault, but of course if they don't this is a potential route I'll explore.
Old May 1st, 2016, 13:27   #44
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Agreed. Although I still can't be 100% sure that these issues are definitely related to the clutch change, as unfortunately I can't remember if I noticed them immediately afterwards, I'm only presuming at the moment.

I get on well with the garage and am confident they will make things right if they do discover it was their fault, but of course if they don't this is a potential route I'll explore.
Thanks and I presume there is an automatic one year guarantee from the Indy, including parts, BUT suspension and steering parts are often made or sold by companies that offer a free 4 year warranty, after a one year guarantee.
When you find out what was forked up (Assuming some dipstick did not bodge the installation), just check the company web site to see what the T's & C's are, in terms of free replacent parts.

Old May 24th, 2016, 16:01   #45
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Starting to wonder whether the resistance is actually to do with the gearbox oil, rather than the clutch.

If so, will get the garage to try replacing the oil, before they take it to bits again.

Is this oil suitable? (I can get it quicker than genuine)
Liqui Moly 4426 GL3+ SAE 75 W-80
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FQ02D0

I have the M56 manual gearbox.
Old May 24th, 2016, 16:57   #46
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Starting to wonder whether the resistance is actually to do with the gearbox oil, rather than the clutch.

If so, will get the garage to try replacing the oil, before they take it to bits again.

Is this oil suitable? (I can get it quicker than genuine)
Liqui Moly 4426 GL3+ SAE 75 W-80
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FQ02D0

I have the M56 manual gearbox.
It probably is the correct oil, but it's always best to use the oil finder:

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...oil_guide.html

Rufe the FRF Swansea Volvo dealer might be just as fast. Although he is on Farcebook it's a phone job with the forum discount code.

For some odd reason the oil capacity figures are not correct, as you only seem to need around 2 liters, although that figure might be worth checking, as there are 2 different boxes fitted to the V40.

Old May 24th, 2016, 17:30   #47
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
It probably is the correct oil, but it's always best to use the oil finder:

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...oil_guide.html

Rufe the FRF Swansea Volvo dealer might be just as fast. Although he is on Farcebook it's a phone job with the forum discount code.

For some odd reason the oil capacity figures are not correct, as you only seem to need around 2 liters, although that figure might be worth checking, as there are 2 different boxes fitted to the V40.
Thanks, I'll try FRF in the morning, I got my other parts from them. Looks like I'll need 2.1 litres, a bit annoying if they come in 1 litre bottles!

Spoken to the garage, but turns out they probably didn't change the gearbox oil when the clutch was done, so perhaps it's less likely to be the issue.

Prob going to get it replaced anyway to see if it helps and will also get him to check the bottom gearbox mount (as I hear this could cause similar issues) and get him to do a clutch drag test, before looking at dismantling again.

Tags
clutch, gears