Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disappointed by member on here

Views : 8952

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 15:05   #21
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

lets see what stewyp1983 has to say
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 18:33   #22
marccowley

Cheers for the comment on mine mate, was supposed to have someone come and buy it at the weekend but they never turned up, im sorry to see the one you brought wasnt 'as described'. marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmc88 View Post
I wish I had bought this car instead

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144307

I only bought the yellow scrapper as it was handy to fly down to london luton
marccowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 18:41   #23
mechakev
Master Member

You not sold that t4 yet...blimey. How much are you asking for it now anyway? Not asking to buy, just nosey. Seemed like a really decent car from what I saw on your advert.

The rust should have been mentioned, but also, it is a cheap old car with a gazillion miles on it. I would not have travelled so far for a car worth so little...but hell I would just do the following in your shoes:

Give it a proper service.

Fix the rear arches, colour match doesn't matter as I guess it's just on the inside it's rotten (just mask it off).

Under the stickers, get rid of the rust, filler it and put some stickers back over it so you don't need to colour match.

T-Cut the ever loving hell out of it.

You can do quite a few things to get rid of the smell of smoke, a good hoover etc helps, as does wiping down and cleaning all the interior trim with soapy water, using cleaning foam on the fabrics and then use some activated carbon.

Last edited by mechakev; Apr 16th, 2012 at 18:53.
mechakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 19:04   #24
marccowley

Nope still got it amazingly, had 4 people(none of here) tell me they were going to have it and none have turned up, last one told me he had cash in his hand and wanted to come that weekend, never heard anything so i rang him and he told me he couldnt afford it.....lol, im still after as close to £1300 as possible but always willing to negotiate, maybe even take a p/x + cash against it.
marccowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 19:10   #25
Dog_Book
Idiot

The work on this car was done by the preivous owner i believe as i read the write ups years back thats why i knew the stickers were there to hide rust. Dunno what to say not seen any close up pics of the rust so cant say if you would notice without takign them off?

Did look a nice car back then and its the only one to have a omp wheel on it to i think.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 20:06   #26
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

How many T4's does one person need , does this purchase mean the golden goddess is going??, have to say the wheels from the S40 would look really nice on the V40 ;-) ...

Unfortunately I've learnt from past experience (not through forum members) thats it not worth travelling a big distance to get a car, as I've been let down a few times when travelling a long way for a car, normally with people 'forgetting about issues' worst one was a 4hr trip to buy a Vectra SRI Estate I'd put a deposit on I took the car for a test drive & it was dangerous!!, brakes were metal on metal & binding, the few stone chips the seller had admitted to translated to the car needing bonnet, both wings, & front bumper resrayed (absolutely battered/pebble dashed with chips/marks), he also neglected the mention broken interior trims, 2 illegal bald front tyres, needless to say I went metal with the chap he offered £100 off the price, I said that wouldn't even pay for the 2 tyres needed, so I got my deposit back and fooked off!!!, ever since then I only search for cars with in a 40-1hour distance.

I have to say normally forums are good places to get cars from as in my experience seller are normally more honest/forth coming about faults sorry you had a bad experience...

Meant to say did you get my PM ross on volvo performance forum sorry about the delay I don't use that forum much

Last edited by scoobysn7x; Apr 16th, 2012 at 20:08.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 20:36   #27
stewyp1983

Firstly i will appologise as you are not happy with the car... Regards to the rust round arches under the Carbon stickers i never put them on there and never touched them because after removing the carbon sticker on the bonnet it left lots of silver sticky marks and spent 3 hours gently removing it and under it was rust free so couldnt be bothered to spend another 2-3 hours on each corner..... Regards to the codes and running rich i plugged my code reader in but due to no engine light being on it read NO codes so i assumed it was ok.... A guy test drove it friday and NO oil light came on i hope he reads this to confirm everything was ok when he drove it.... The steering wheel i had to fit in the dark as i got it from volvo breakers on the saturday £30 due to you not wanting my sport one and i even bought the rear light £35 as my other 1 had hole in it which i mentioned how that happened in a previous thread. I told you i was working sunday so could not get in contact or meet you but would be home 14:00 latest but you wanted to drive straight home so i phoned at 11:00 and asked if everything was ok. My friend only said about oil being low but i guided him through the garage and got oil. I never said the car was smoke free. If you want i can get another steering wheel and post to you and you send that one back so i can get refund once you recieve new one.
If my friend said you were wanting to talk about car i would have so that was not completely my fault as i phoned to check all was ok and everything he mentioned i sorted... I am willing to send £50 your way but that is all. I'm sorry your ****ed off but to me i could find no fault with the car but i guess i never really looked as i was so happy with it. Oh and the tacky yellow interior was started by the previous owner and several people liked what we done and even suggested doing MORE. also the strip across window was also on there when bought. Oh and if you look under boot cover the bottom part of the original air filter is there to save you bit of money. You have the standard susspension which is perfect order when removed and a spare front light. All stuff i could of sold for few extra ££ but i gave to you

Last edited by stewyp1983; Apr 16th, 2012 at 20:40.
stewyp1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stewyp1983 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 20:55   #28
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

If it had been me, and i was that disappointed, I would of just left it and spent the money on getting home,The buyer was NOT forced to buy it.
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 21:16   #29
blairs40

its like with ANY purchase , second hand or new ...CAVEAT EMPTOR......buyer beware.
cheers
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 10:45   #30
rossmc88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewyp1983 View Post
Firstly i will appologise as you are not happy with the car... Regards to the rust round arches under the Carbon stickers i never put them on there and never touched them because after removing the carbon sticker on the bonnet it left lots of silver sticky marks and spent 3 hours gently removing it and under it was rust free so couldnt be bothered to spend another 2-3 hours on each corner..... Regards to the codes and running rich i plugged my code reader in but due to no engine light being on it read NO codes so i assumed it was ok.... A guy test drove it friday and NO oil light came on i hope he reads this to confirm everything was ok when he drove it.... The steering wheel i had to fit in the dark as i got it from volvo breakers on the saturday £30 due to you not wanting my sport one and i even bought the rear light £35 as my other 1 had hole in it which i mentioned how that happened in a previous thread. I told you i was working sunday so could not get in contact or meet you but would be home 14:00 latest but you wanted to drive straight home so i phoned at 11:00 and asked if everything was ok. My friend only said about oil being low but i guided him through the garage and got oil. I never said the car was smoke free. If you want i can get another steering wheel and post to you and you send that one back so i can get refund once you recieve new one.
If my friend said you were wanting to talk about car i would have so that was not completely my fault as i phoned to check all was ok and everything he mentioned i sorted... I am willing to send £50 your way but that is all. I'm sorry your ****ed off but to me i could find no fault with the car but i guess i never really looked as i was so happy with it. Oh and the tacky yellow interior was started by the previous owner and several people liked what we done and even suggested doing MORE. also the strip across window was also on there when bought. Oh and if you look under boot cover the bottom part of the original air filter is there to save you bit of money. You have the standard susspension which is perfect order when removed and a spare front light. All stuff i could of sold for few extra ££ but i gave to you
A £50 partial refund would be greatly appreciated and will be used to give the car a good service. I'll PM you my paypal address. To be honest, I was shocked when I seen the oil light on and no coolant in the header tank, how could you not notice? There's really no defending that.
rossmc88 is offline   Reply With Quote