Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Reverse lockout issue

Views : 171

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:49   #1
magnum88

Default V40 Reverse lockout issue

Hi everyone,

I encountered an unusual problem with my 2014 V40 D3 the other day, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insights or solutions.

While driving at around 100 km/h, I shifted gears as usual, going from 4th to 6th. However, unlike before, the gear selector allowed me to move beyond the "channel" for 5th and 6th

Normally, the lever's path has always been blocked to 5th and 6th channel during driving, only allowing access to reverse when the vehicle is stationary or going at a very low speed. I didn't attempt to engage reverse at that speed and it looks like it is locked, but it's concerning because it's both unsafe and inconvenient, as instead of confidently shifting into 5th or 6th, I now have to sort of "navigate" around to engage the gear.

All gears, including reverse, engage perfectly fine, and there are no other abnormal behaviors or noises. The only difference now is that while driving I can move the gear knob all the way to the right, which was not possible before. I think there might be something going on with the reverse lockout.

I also visited my local Volvo dealer, and it seemed like they were a bit puzzled by the issue. They suggested scheduling an appointment to take a closer look. They're probably not as accustomed to manual transmissions anymore!

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and does anyone have an idea of what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer!
magnum88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2024, 13:46   #2
RS3100

I believe there is a solenoid on the box which prevents access to reverse gear when the speed exceeds about 15 mph. Operation of the solenoid is controlled by the CEM. Apparently the solenoid itself is replaceable. It does sound like it is not operating for some reason.

The solenoid is located at the front of the shift carrier bracket, directly beneath the gear lever.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2024, 14:35   #3
magnum88

Thank you so much for your reply! It helps me understand what might be going on.

Do you happen to have any diagrams or additional resources that could further illustrate the location and operation of the solenoid?

Thanks again
Old May 2nd, 2024, 14:40   #4
RS3100

Not for your gearbox, but if you prize up the gear lever surround from the centre console, you should be able to see the solenoid at the front of the shift cradle, facing towards the front of the car. It's a small cylinder, a bit like a battery, with electrical wires connected to it. It throws out a piston when engaged, which blocks the gear lever from moving across the gate into reverse gear.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2024, 14:47   #5
magnum88

Thank you!

I'll definitely check it out as you've described and see if that's the cause.

I'll be sure to let you know how everything turns out once I've had a chance to address it.

Thanks again!
Old May 2nd, 2024, 21:43   #6
magnum88

Update: today while driving back home the gearbox behaved normally, with the reverse gear channel being blocked while cruising, as it should be.
I also made a couple of stops, powering down the vehicle, and upon rebooting, the gearbox still behaved properly.
It seems like there might be something wrong with the solenoid controlling the reverse lockout; perhaps it's just worn out and starting to fail, causing intermittent issues.

I'll continue to monitor it closely, but if this information can assist anyone in diagnosing the issue better, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Tags
reverse lockout