Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any history on P1800S Reg. FPV 452E ?.

Views : 1009

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 14:05   #1
skysurfer
VOC Member

Default Any history on P1800S Reg. FPV 452E ?.

Hi everyone,

I bought my first P1800 (Reg. FPV 452E) a few months ago (having previously owned a couple of Amazons) but very little history came with this car. The only info I can find is that it has had six previous owners and was subject to a body re-build and re-paint fairly recently (no photos though). The car otherwise seems pretty original but I get the feeling that it's been off the road for a few years in dry storage somewhere. It's generally very sound and presentable externally although it does need the engine bay tidying up and new seat covers, headlining and some interior panels. If anyone can give me any info about the car then that would be great.

Thanks

Paul
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 14:08   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Maybe posting a photo might help jog someones memory.
Best of luck
Jim
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 14:41   #3
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Paul,

I've been through all the club register files, but sadly there is no record of your car.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 17:11   #4
4 forty
VOC Member

Default good news

it is still on the road, and taxed until feb 2009

refer to this website

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/Evl...ehicle+Enquiry

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 17:19   #5
48pop

And insured........According to the Motor Insurers database........

http://www.askmid.com/askmid.aspx

Big Brother....Naaaah that would never happen. What next, chips in your number plates, mandatory beacon in your car...??? Public would never let them away with that......

By the way, I downloaded a wee mapping app to my phone, Tells me where I am to within a few meters....Wonder who else is watching .........
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 18:06   #6
mike gilbert
Master Member

Is it a pale blue 1800S (ice blue)? If so I used to own that car. I got it off a bloke in Wales about 6-7 years ago. He was in the process of scrapping it and had pulled it apart to sell off the bits. I offered him £200 for the lot and it cost me more than that to get the shell and parts transported to East Anglia. When I examined it I thought it was too good to scrap so I put it back together using, where necessary, some better mechanics and trim items and got it resprayed locally in Peterborough. I ran it for a few weeks and sold it to a bloke in Northampton. He hardly ever used it and left it behind in his old garage when he split up from his Mrs - thats why its been off the road for a few years. He then stuck it on e-bay last year and now its resurfaced again.
It ran fine when I had it but the overdrive was slow to engage. It also had lots of filler in the sills and bottoms of the wings but that was because the bloke before me put the sills on too far in and had to 'fatten' up both them and the wing bottoms to get them level with the door bottoms. It was quite solid though which is the main thing. Looked nice in 2K Ice Blue paint, a bit more pigment than the old cellulose.
Of course if this car is not pale blue I've just given you a load of useless information.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:45   #7
skysurfer
VOC Member

Hi Mike. Yes, mine is ice blue, so I guess i've bought your old car !. I've had it up on the ramps and it all looks solid enough underneath. I note your comment about the sills - they could have been done better - but there's no sign of any rust coming through or cracking paint. In fact, the paintwork is still excellent. The overdrive has now been sorted and engages/disengages instantly. The only things that really let the car down now are the front seats and engine bay detailing. I've also just bought an excellent secondhand grill surround from Brookhouse and a new s/s exhaust system through the club which I'll fit next week. Did you rebuild the engine when you had it to run on unleaded ?. Thanks for the information Cheers. Paul
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 18:56   #8
volvo144gl
Simon king

Hi,

You can get quite a bit of info out of the DVLA , it'll show all the previous owners etc.
See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022067

Have a look to see if it's on http://www.volvo1800pictures.com/

under the owners register

What is the Chasis number ?
volvo144gl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:31   #9
mike gilbert
Master Member

No Paul, i've never rebuilt any of my 1800's for unleaded (and I've had loads of them) I just stick super unleaded in and never had any problems. Unless your doing high mileage and/or regular high speed cruising, it will take a long time to get valve seat recession. Probably longer than you'll have the car! Having said that those octane booster additives do work, if you can be bothered faffing aoround at every fill up. I think it has survived well because its been kept indoors - if your going to use it in the wet or keep it outside invest in a few gallons of waxoyl, or the rust will start coming through. I'm just waxoyling my Capri restoration today, horrible job but worht doing.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:41   #10
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike gilbert View Post
No Paul, i've never rebuilt any of my 1800's for unleaded (and I've had loads of them) I just stick super unleaded in and never had any problems. Unless your doing high mileage and/or regular high speed cruising, it will take a long time to get valve seat recession. Probably longer than you'll have the car! Having said that those octane booster additives do work, if you can be bothered faffing aoround at every fill up.
I use Redex lead replacement in my 164, mainly because it is relatively dilute - so you add a reasonable volume, rather than a couple of teaspoonfuls - and it comes in a bottle with a long enough spout to stick it into the side-mounted filler and launch it down the pipe with reasonable confidence that it'll make it into the tank and not just hang around in a dribble just inside the neck. I don't exactly hang around on the motorway, but nor am I too happy about not using it for general use, after all I do plan to keep the car until it becomes impossible to repair it, and I want that to be as long as possible...

The biggest difficulty with it is the childproof cap on the thing, it requires such pressure to get the ratchet thing to engage to undo it that there is a risk of collapsing the bottle. Why do we have to have these silly caps on everything - it's not as if there are many children in the boot of my car...

Be kind to pigeons

Last edited by Pigeon; Feb 3rd, 2008 at 12:43. Reason: Forgot a bit
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote