Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to look out for on an '04 D5?

Views : 884

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2012, 14:07   #1
A lex
Premier Member

Default What to look out for on an '04 D5?

Hello folks,

I recently abandoned ship from my 2001 P2 V70 T5. The economy was painful and it had a few mechanical problems on the horizon - I still managed to sell for more than I bought it for though :hehe:

In my traditional way I have just bought another V70 from eBay sight unseen, to pick up on Wednesday. This time around its a facelift D5 SE (163) on a late 04 plate. It has most of the spec I want; including leather and 7 seats and its a manual

It is cheap, very very cheap, perhaps worrysomely cheap. Then again I may have just scored myself another great eBay bargain. Its 150k miles, FSH, taken as a PX against something newer, sold by the same dealer 5yrs ago to the previous owner. I won the auction at 2350 GBP, so its a good 1k cheaper than any other facelift D5 I have seen......

What to look for? I know V70s reasonably well now, so its really the engine im looking for hints on. Internet reading can scare the wits out of you, so a few pointed helpers would be appreciated Beyond the basics of checking the oil, coolant, PAS, idle, ETM, and then for leaks etc around the inter-cooler is there anything else specific I should be looking at?

Heres the car:

Cheers!

Last edited by A lex; May 14th, 2012 at 14:14.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 16:01   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

welcome.
have a read at this
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443
buy or aquire a vac gauge.
if it goes into limp mode get the codes read.
change the fuel filter even tho it has full service history.
it has no ETM
enjoy it and think about a few more horses.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2012, 17:18   #3
Bernard333
Premier Member

Second cam belt not due until 192 000 miles but worth checking if it still has the original tensioner , mine is still original at 160k and thinking I have been lucky so far , I have looked at a lot of D5s where cambelt has been changed on schedule but not the tensioner . I agree looks to be a great price but as you are buying from a dealer you have a bit more protection than from a private sale even if its sold as seen . Would be interested to see your comments on it once you have picked it up and checked it over .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2012, 17:23   #4
A lex
Premier Member

Thanks for the replys. No ETM is a good start

Ive read that you should check for 'pulsing' when driving at lower speeds (sign of injector problems), oil / coolant around the intercooler at the front, engine mounts as per any V70 and then basic 'buying precautions' as per any other car....

The dealer seems a nice enough chap on the phone - car has tax til end September too He was valeting/checking it over today and has agreed not to move it/start it until I arrive on Weds, so I should be able to perform cold start checks.

Its always fun to try and spot little un-mentioned things in the advert, such as it seems to be sporting 4 matching (decent) tyres. A good sign of a decent owner.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 22:13   #5
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Cam belt and tensioner change regardless asap, tensioners shear and destroy the engine. £200 against £3000 plus.

Intercooler, could get it leak tested, a u/s one will hit you mpg and cause smoking and lossof power.

CHANGE THE HANDBRAKE SHOES regardless - £30 against Hundreds.
(yes I did mean uppercase)

Wishbone bushes.

Change all the filters.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote