Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car insurance renewal - EU travel cost & admin charges

Views : 3689

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2015, 19:39   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Car insurance renewal - EU travel cost & admin charges

So it's not long until renewal time. I always check renewal costs on the price comparison sites. I have noticed that insurers, having had their prices cut to the bone by competition, have started modelling their pricing schedule on Ryanair...

The basic policy looks like good value but they then charge extra for the EU cover (above & beyond the minimum legal bare bones) and also charge an administration charge too.

So, for example, it looks like e-sure who are offering the most competitive annual premium want about £45 for each EU trip we'll be making this year. That's effectively another £90 p.a. for the Swiss adventure in the Summer and the Austrian ski holiday in the winter. On an annual premium of just £172 that quite a bit extra to be paying on top?

What do you guys do when it comes to car insurance? Obviously, all you company car folk need not worry (ah, I remember those happy, carefree days) but for the rest of us?

Any advice gratefully received. Renewal is 8 March so I have a few days left to make up my mind on what's best.

Thanks in advance.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 14th, 2015 at 20:18.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 20:11   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Interesting tactic LV wanted just under £30 for the full year from memory for EU cover at comprehensive level
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 20:49   #3
Spitfire4
Master Member

Used a cheap insurance a few years ago and they wanted payment of £20 for any thing, going abroad, moving house, changing car etc and when we had a whoopsie that wasn't my fault they were useless so now I'm a bit choosy now and look through the policy before I decide and if I pay a bit more to be with a reputable company I'm not bothered. Took Volvo insurance this time as Aviva wanted £200 extra on my excess to use a Volvo garage.

I think look through the small print is important, but the choice is yours.

Cheers
Mike
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 21:04   #4
Considered1
Premier Member

I was really impressed with the Volvo insurance, doesnt feel like you are dealing with RSA as they were spot on.

On the "abroad" front they give you 31 days cover, more can be arranged.

I was particularly impressed with their offer to add a temp driver for a day, up to three times per year, without charge...only chance my lad will have of driving my car for a few years!

But unfortunately for some I think Car insurance is a postcode lottery..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 21:09   #5
Arianne
Premier Member

Thanks folks.

Checking the small print, as per your advice, is the way to go. By doing so I have been able to secure cover with Lloyds Bank with free, fully comprehensive EU cover for up to 60 days built into the policy. Just £6 more per annum than the quote from e-sure.

People must lose so much money by not checking this stuff beforehand.

Best wishes,

Arianne
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 21:22   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire4 View Post
Used a cheap insurance a few years ago and they wanted payment of £20 for any thing, going abroad, moving house, changing car etc and when we had a whoopsie that wasn't my fault they were useless so now I'm a bit choosy now and look through the policy before I decide and if I pay a bit more to be with a reputable company I'm not bothered. Took Volvo insurance this time as Aviva wanted £200 extra on my excess to use a Volvo garage.

I think look through the small print is important, but the choice is yours.

Cheers
Mike
That is one reason i will never touch Aviva saying that they appear unable to quote on lowered cars either online....
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 01:28   #7
mike95

I would try Chris Knott Insurance. I have insured with them for years including for my previous Saabs.

Always find them competitive and everything I need is included including foreign touring.

They run the Volvo & Saab owners clubs schemes.

Good luck.

Mike
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 09:16   #8
tem
Premier Member

I use LV and they have excellent European cover, but I normally visit 4 to 5 times every year.
Maybe, one could get cheaper insurance by just adding an add on, for infrequent visits.

tem.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 09:20   #9
id5
Premier Member

Youngest has just renewed his insurance and spotted a new trick, the cheapest quote was for 10 months not 12 months. It wasn't until he was just about to pay that he realised what was going on, mean trick that one.

The other I hate is the continuous payment authority rather than a single payment coupled with the paperless option. You all need to make sure that you have deselected those checkboxes or auto renewal occurs and with paperless insurance all you get is an email saying 'thanks for renewing, click on the link to download your certificate' - they are hoping you won't notice that inflated, increased renewal price.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 09:51   #10
Arianne
Premier Member

Default They've taken continuous payment to the next level...

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
The other I hate is the continuous payment authority rather than a single payment coupled with the paperless option. You all need to make sure that you have deselected those checkboxes or auto renewal occurs and with paperless insurance all you get is an email saying 'thanks for renewing, click on the link to download your certificate' - they are hoping you won't notice that inflated, increased renewal price.
It seems like the option to de-select the continuous payment authority is a threatened species. Most of the companies I reviewed didn't actually have a de-select box on their website. Instead, they simply said that you can contact them to tell them you don't want this facility - an 0845 number. One even made a virtue of it by suggesting that, with our busy lives, we would never need to worry about failing to renew - a criminal act apparently.

So my approach is to simply add a google reminder to my G-diary so that I never forget these things. I do the same for the anniversary of broadband and other utility contract - loyalty is rarely rewarded these days. This stuff is a game of 'cat & mouse' with the product providers and it gives me pleasure when I win.

Arianne

Tags
eu cover, insurance