Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thank you for all the help over the years

Views : 634

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 14:30   #1
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Thank you for all the help over the years

Thanks everyone for all your help over the years as some of you know I post on here looking for advice on mine and my friends V70Rs in recent years his has become troublesome mine less so either way both cars are going on Monday due to local dealerships offering really good scrappage scheme it's a shame as these are becoming rare now but I can't ignore the fact that the deals on off are really good we are both replacing them with Tesla's I'm going to also keep my AMG Merc thanks again
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 17:12   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

dont scrap a v70 r .prices are climbing on v70r s its hard to find one under 6k are u shure the dealer is scraping them or are they going to sell them on ?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 17:20   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
dont scrap a v70 r .prices are climbing on v70r s its hard to find one under 6k
Can't agree with that really, as plenty languish on Ebay at 3 or 4k and don't sell. The 'all or nothing' brigade see to that, where a car must be virtually concours (a ludicrous mentality if you ask me) to be worth anything. I keep mine on the road by concentrating on largely just mot items. This isn't tolerable to a certain mindset though and any cars as such are barely 2k's worth...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 23:01   #4
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
Can't agree with that really, as plenty languish on Ebay at 3 or 4k and don't sell. The 'all or nothing' brigade see to that, where a car must be virtually concours (a ludicrous mentality if you ask me) to be worth anything. I keep mine on the road by concentrating on largely just mot items. This isn't tolerable to a certain mindset though and any cars as such are barely 2k's worth...
I agree totally the cars are great but are expensive to repair and are really poor on fuel and this may upset some but have poor performance compared to modern smaller engine cars like golf R S3 ect and mine is modified with a forged bottom end bigger injectors ect ect I've spent a fortune over the 12 years I've had mine and yet they still seem to not appreciate greatly in value.and in reply to previous post I spoke with the dealer and both cars once handed over will be subject to a destruction order so no selling on

Last edited by andrewc1267; Sep 19th, 2021 at 23:08.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 12:35   #5
amazondean
amazondean

buy a cheap pile of crap, and hand that over instead, Your cars would be great for someone to at least strip for good parts.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 13:49   #6
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
buy a cheap pile of crap, and hand that over instead, Your cars would be great for someone to at least strip for good parts.
The cars have to have been registered in your name for a period of time for them to be eligible for the scrappage scheme anyway we are on the way to pick up and drop off as we speak
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 14:44   #7
sdg1970
Master Member

And I'd be taking a lot of satisfaction out of keeping OUT of the hands of those who'd want to pay near **** all for it and strip it...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 16:45   #8
Shinsplintz 101

The OP has little choice - he's going to get a decent lump in trade in (scrappage scheme in this case) vs. Bugger
All on the open market. It's simple economics.

For the puritanical few who will no doubt rail against the scrapping of two Rs - if you feel that strongly then send the OP a PM and offer to buy the cars for the same money as the dealer is offering. I'm sure he'd take the opportunity to save the cars if there was no financial loss to consider.

I've done the above several times (and been fortunate enough to save a few from the knackers yard) but unless you're willing to put your money where your mouth is then you've lost the right to make statements about what someone should or shouldn't do with their property, rare or otherwise.

Good luck with the Teslas. They are hysterically fast

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Sep 20th, 2021 at 16:47.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 18:29   #9
280E

Sadly, this happened all too frequently during the Government-backed scrappage scheme.

Many 'sub-classics' bit the dust - often with nothing wrong with them
280E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 18:42   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Is it the government 'Scrappage' scheme which required the vehicles to be destroyed or just the dealer using the word 'scrappage' to imply a great deal even if the car is rubbish?
The government scheme was, in my opinion, a travesty which meant many good cars were actually scrapped as the dealers had to prove the car was destroyed and there were checks done. If it's just the dealer's scheme they will probably chuck it in the auctions or the scrapper they flog it to could save it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote