Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit

Views : 16727

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 21:42   #111
Bendolfc
Premier Member

My retrofit labs package has arrived. Just need to find some time to get them fitted. Can't wait to be able to see at night.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 16:00   #112
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
The width shots were made with low beams only.

https://imgur.com/a/BMKGJvu

nice! width is defo something to envy, compared to E46.
ref HB3 - maybe its just how your eye sees it as the yellow beam is now more visible than before but hotspot is still aimed horizontally? Or you really had to aim both headlamps lower to achieve correct output for new projectors?
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 17:00   #113
Bendolfc
Premier Member

How long do you think I should allow for fitting the new projectors?

Is much adjustment required once they are in the lights, don't want to start doing it at 10PM and find myself still having to faff about at 3AM, especially as one of my adjusters is snapped off so I've cut a slot to turn with a flat head screwdriver but means I have to take the light out to adjust it.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 17:08   #114
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
How long do you think I should allow for fitting the new projectors?

Is much adjustment required once they are in the lights, don't want to start doing it at 10PM and find myself still having to faff about at 3AM, especially as one of my adjusters is snapped off so I've cut a slot to turn with a flat head screwdriver but means I have to take the light out to adjust it.
Took me about 3-4hrs total including basic alignment on table etc. Swapping projectors is literally 10mins each of actual work but preparations + problems + testing etc etc - allow yourself more than you can. Dont need to wait for 10pm
if you havent - check my pdf, if you are careful, you can allign new projectors to about 90% accuracy of old ones while still on your table/workbench, will save you a LOT of faffing around outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 17:16   #115
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Nice one, will wait until the weekend then.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 11:31   #116
Sidonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
nice! width is defo something to envy, compared to E46.
ref HB3 - maybe its just how your eye sees it as the yellow beam is now more visible than before but hotspot is still aimed horizontally? Or you really had to aim both headlamps lower to achieve correct output for new projectors?
I really got what I was going for with these, as lack of width and too much colour flicker were the main downsides.

I did have to adjust the projectors down conpared to E46s but then again, I had to aim them up with those. Not really sure where I stand now in comparison with the originals. I think they're OK but could be just a tad bit higher cause they're only really needed for seeing farther away.

One downside that was apparent with e46 but is even more pronounced now is the glare I get from street signs with high beams on. The windshield has seen better days so any focused light source gives out glare lines and now the street signs are a little distracting.
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 11:47   #117
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
One downside that was apparent with e46 but is even more pronounced now is the glare I get from street signs with high beams on. The windshield has seen better days so any focused light source gives out glare lines and now the street signs are a little distracting.
Yea, same here - full beam on pitch black motorway, and road signs (especially big ones with lanes directions) are unbearable sometimes, but hey, either that or low beam, cant have both.
If you find the allignment being an issue in the long run, you can always use shims to put between projector and mount - will provide some extra angle and may allow you to keep HB3 horizontal axis, but ofc if you really have to do it.
otherwise, enjoy the leafs falling from the trees when you go full-light during the night
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 13:52   #118
lockstock

Quote:
Yea, same here - full beam on pitch black motorway, and road signs (especially big ones with lanes directions) are unbearable sometimes, but hey, either that or low beam, cant have both.
If you find the allignment being an issue in the long run, you can always use shims to put between projector and mount - will provide some extra angle and may allow you to keep HB3 horizontal axis, but ofc if you really have to do it.
otherwise, enjoy the leafs falling from the trees when you go full-light during the night
What is the legal situation regarding HiD bulbs. I'm going to take some pictures of my light output. Get your perspective on potential for improvement. Currently I have a halogen nightbreakers in a 2011 facelift c30. Full beam is great, but dipped beam isn't the best, not terrible though.

My first step would be to adjust up dipped beam as high as is legal. (any advice on best way to acheive this at home?)

Second step would be to post pics

Third is to decide what legal improvement I can make without dazzling others.

Since my lenses and reflectors look okay, I guess my options are a projector upgrade, and/or install HiD bulbs, but only if it's sound for legal, MOT and not going to dazzle others.

edit... Okay, so it's clear retrofit HiD are completely illegal in the UK unless you do a full retrofit with Xenon Hedlight, washers and self leveling. Provided the Xenon headlight was type approved you are good to go. All retrofits into halogen headlamp assemblies are deemed illegal.

Last edited by lockstock; Jan 28th, 2020 at 14:10. Reason: update
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 13:18   #119
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post

edit... Okay, so it's clear retrofit HiD are completely illegal in the UK unless you do a full retrofit with Xenon Hedlight, washers and self leveling. Provided the Xenon headlight was type approved you are good to go. All retrofits into halogen headlamp assemblies are deemed illegal.
yes, pretty much you summarised it up perfectly. Technically, its almost impossible to make it fully legal (retrofitting washers is possible but self levelling - never heard of succesful implementation) but you can make it as close as possible, as long as you understand the possible consequences.
your C30 has clear lenses so your projectors are much more suitable for HID bulb than 05-08 milky lenses. You can put H7R HID burner in there, and it will work, probably even pretty well but its not gonna be as good as if you replaced projectors with D2S version that can take good and quality-made burners. Even then it will be illegal, but light ouptut and cutoff will be much better than on H7Rs. And you will gain bixenon feature.
D2S ofcourse make this mod a "burnt bridge" for future MOTs so I would recommend doing what I did - get a second set of headlamps and swap them over for MOT. FOr the cost of 60-70e for pair and a 4 minute job (Volvo couldnt make it easier!) its worth it IMHO. Gives you freedom to experiment and will never leave you with "oh sh*t I have no headlamps but I have to go to work" situation.

Are you aware of HID-related possible problems? (DRL issie, WMM failure, extra grounding etc?) If yes, and still want to experiment - I see no reason why not to. HID kit can be used for H7 and D2S versions, so if you try H7R first and decide to go full on swap, you will only "loose" 15e worth of parts.
For me, experimenting with lamps and testing it is part of fun, but for others - not so much so bear in mind it do require a bit of fiddling and testing to make it right.
As for bench-allignment -well, cant help much, you really need to allign lights while ON the car. You can make it easier when you are swapping projectors, but for actual halogen/hid adjustment, you need to follow the guidelines or just go to diagnostic station. PS - be aware, quality of H7Rs is a bit... well... it varies so properly alligned helogen beam may need a minor corrections for H7R burner. Variations in hotspot and actual saddle/base of bulb may make require for lowering beam further to make sure the light leak does not bother oncoming traffic.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 13:55   #120
lockstock

Quote:
yes, pretty much you summarised it up perfectly. Technically, its almost impossible to make it fully legal (retrofitting washers is possible but self levelling - never heard of succesful implementation) but you can make it as close as possible, as long as you understand the possible consequences.
your C30 has clear lenses so your projectors are much more suitable for HID bulb than 05-08 milky lenses. You can put H7R HID burner in there, and it will work, probably even pretty well but its not gonna be as good as if you replaced projectors with D2S version that can take good and quality-made burners. Even then it will be illegal, but light ouptut and cutoff will be much better than on H7Rs. And you will gain bixenon feature.
D2S ofcourse make this mod a "burnt bridge" for future MOTs so I would recommend doing what I did - get a second set of headlamps and swap them over for MOT. FOr the cost of 60-70e for pair and a 4 minute job (Volvo couldnt make it easier!) its worth it IMHO. Gives you freedom to experiment and will never leave you with "oh sh*t I have no headlamps but I have to go to work" situation.

Are you aware of HID-related possible problems? (DRL issie, WMM failure, extra grounding etc?) If yes, and still want to experiment - I see no reason why not to. HID kit can be used for H7 and D2S versions, so if you try H7R first and decide to go full on swap, you will only "loose" 15e worth of parts.
For me, experimenting with lamps and testing it is part of fun, but for others - not so much so bear in mind it do require a bit of fiddling and testing to make it right.
As for bench-allignment -well, cant help much, you really need to allign lights while ON the car. You can make it easier when you are swapping projectors, but for actual halogen/hid adjustment, you need to follow the guidelines or just go to diagnostic station. PS - be aware, quality of H7Rs is a bit... well... it varies so properly alligned helogen beam may need a minor corrections for H7R burner. Variations in hotspot and actual saddle/base of bulb may make require for lowering beam further to make sure the light leak does not bother oncoming traffic.
cheers, really useful. I think first I need to check alignement. If Im right behind a car in traffic, my cut off (set to max hight) hits the top edge of bumper. so roughly half way between ground and their side mirrors (from my point of view). This means the throw is probably only 6-10 car lengths in front of me when driving. Obvs on dark roads this isn't great. Maybe this is as specified but I'm sure they could be angled higher and still legal. This would help a lot as the light output isnt terrible. probably marginally below average. I just find I can't see **** when at night unless I have full beam.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote