Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 940 soon to be owner

Views : 1708

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2020, 19:38   #21
tom9

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I love MY 1996 Volvo 940 Automatic mated to the 2.3 litre B230FK engine.

A Volvo auto is perfect! I have driven autos for 10 years now. cant beat wafting along and steering a big go cart!

Don't discount an auto. Harder to abuse and also a reliable box.

James.
Interesting. I've sort of ignored auto's but this car on eBay looks lovely

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-940...AAAOSwX9Nepyd5
tom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom9 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2020, 19:53   #22
tom9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Welcome aboard Tom! Just looked at the video, it seems to run sweetly enough, red-blocks always sound very similar to that. Might want the valve clearances checked/adjusted at some point and it sounds like there is a blow from the front pipe/manifold or it could be the microphone on his phone/camera is a bit sensitive to certain frequencies.

About the speedo, does the ABS light come on during driving? If so, it could well be the speed sensor in the back axle which serves both the ABS and the speedo.

If you've read the rest of the thread carefully up to this point there's no real advice i can add except given the paintwork and the few minor dings, it's not really a £1000 car. As Mark suggested, nearer £500.
The tyres look passable from the video but will need renewing at some point in the not too distant future.

Also looking at the MoT history, is it the speedometer or odometer that doesn't work? I noticed in about 2014/5, the MoT mileage stopped going up - often the odometer will die (thanks to people resetting the trip meter while moving, first kills the trip then the odo although other things can cause the odo to fail) but the speedo will still show your rate of progress.
Needs clarification as to whether it's the speed or the odometer that doesn't work really - or both!

Timing belt should be changed every 40k as far as i know on the red blocks so is probably halfway between just been done and needing to be done except you don't know how many miles it's done since 2014 - therefore treat it as urgent!
It's an easy DIY job and would take about an hour.

Plenty of knowledge and advice on here to help you though! A tip for future reference, if you do buy it and need help, please post the model, year, engine code and gearbox to give as much information as possible. Sometimes it might seem irrelevant but Volvos have little quirks where sometimes the strangest things make a difference!

This is incredibly helpful - thank you very much. The more I am reading everyone's comments the more I am realising it's worth £500/600 tops.

A manifold I imagine is going to be expensive to replace? Even the gasket and fitting won't be cheap I imagine.

In regards to the speedo and odometer issue - both are definitely up S*** creek! The car has supposedly travelled 2 miles in the last 3 years which, given the fact the current owner has done about 30 miles in it, is clearly wrong. Like you say, I have no idea of the actual mileage the car has done since 2015. I am thinking that sorting the speedo and odometer will be a nightmare as I'd need to find someone to fix it.

I'd have to ask someone to help me fit the belt. Could I fit the belt as a minimum and leave the tensioner, guides and water pump to a later date?

Apologies:

Vin: YV1945853R1105649
Old May 19th, 2020, 19:58   #23
tom9

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
After listening to the video I would say it's a bit rough. Possible blow from manifold and the coolant looks like builders tea or possibly none at all

If I wasn't so rubbish at uploading stuff onto the forum I would go outside and video mine running to give you a comparison
Ok so another thing to consider. It's going to need a fair bit to get it up to scratch. Thank you for the advice, its greatly appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2020, 19:59   #24
tom9

So, the latest is this:

"I have spoken with my brother, he has taken onboard what you said, apart from tyres which he said should pass mot and are about a year old. He wants the car to go too a good home and really likes it but has no use for it atm, he said he would do 750 if that helps, he is happy to show you round the car Saturday if you do come"

I still think at £750 it's too much given all the advice here?
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:02   #25
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9 View Post

I’m no expert but the colour of the coolant in the expansion tank is orange to brown and I’m pretty sure it should be blue. This car is still likely going to need a cooling system overhaul if you looking to buy it and use it well for years to come as I imagine it’s on its original radiator and hoses.

I bought a 1998 auto celebration 940 with 1 owner from new on 154k Miles. It had yearly services which I think basically amounted to an oil change in the last few years. it cost me £880 on eBay auction and I’ve spent a good load of cash changing the cooling system and belts along with masses of other less important stuff. I think you can do better with that cash just have to be patient. If I was buying again I would wait for one off the forum buy/sell pages but you might be waiting a good while for a nice one only bad thing

Last edited by zchael6; May 19th, 2020 at 20:07.
zchael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:28   #26
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:

I would buy as late a one you can afford. After all youngest 22 years old.

For me like AC and ABS and Auto.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:52   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Wouldn't touch it with someone elses bargepole! Coolant looks to be red/orange which suggests they've changed the correct ethylene glycol coolant for the newer Calos Fandango OAT coolant - not a good move in engine with iron compoentns and worse in any engine that left the factory with ethylene glycol which is green or blue.

It also has a sizeable dent in the N/S/R door but is described as "Superb".

Quote:
This is incredibly helpful - thank you very much. The more I am reading everyone's comments the more I am realising it's worth £500/600 tops.

A manifold I imagine is going to be expensive to replace? Even the gasket and fitting won't be cheap I imagine.

In regards to the speedo and odometer issue - both are definitely up S*** creek! The car has supposedly travelled 2 miles in the last 3 years which, given the fact the current owner has done about 30 miles in it, is clearly wrong. Like you say, I have no idea of the actual mileage the car has done since 2015. I am thinking that sorting the speedo and odometer will be a nightmare as I'd need to find someone to fix it.

I'd have to ask someone to help me fit the belt. Could I fit the belt as a minimum and leave the tensioner, guides and water pump to a later date?

Apologies:

Vin: YV1945853R1105649
If the water pump isn't leaking, don't touch it - it's not driven by the timing belt so isn't a problem if it fails - well, it is a problem as you'll have to replace it then but it won't take the timing belt with it!

To fit a new timing belt you have to distrub the tensioner, if it's rough and/or noisy renew it, renew if in any doubt anyway.

As for the guides, errrrrrr you'll have to take that one up with Akela i think!

Quote:
So, the latest is this:

"I have spoken with my brother, he has taken onboard what you said, apart from tyres which he said should pass mot and are about a year old. He wants the car to go too a good home and really likes it but has no use for it atm, he said he would do 750 if that helps, he is happy to show you round the car Saturday if you do come"

I still think at £750 it's too much given all the advice here?
If he's willing to drop to £750, how much more would he drop with folding waving uner his nose? You can get instant temporary cover to drive it home via an app or internet on your phone so that isn't a prob;em, you can also tax it that way as well or at a post office if they're open.
I'd suggest having a look at it, if nothing else rears its ugly head besides the coolant as Mark pointed out and i'm guessing you've already budgeted for that then i'd say start the bidding at £550 with the explanation that you've gone up £50 as the tyres aren't imminent but will need doing soon.
See if the seller makes any noises downwards from there and then try to meet in the middle somewhere probably around £600-650 ish give or take as you feel comfortable depending on the car and what you think of it.

If you know someone called Lisa, you could probably sell them the registration as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 21:01   #28
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I would buy as late a one you can afford. After all youngest 22 years old.

For me like AC and ABS and Auto.

James.
Would agree with that. Also as Will said if you can get one off the forum you won't be paying a dealers premium and it will have ( or should have ) been well cared for

If you really want to take a punt on the red one turn up with £500 cash and don't budge In fact I'd start him at £450.00 as I reckon a N/A car with potentially 240k+ is only worth that.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2020, 21:02   #29
tom9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

If he's willing to drop to £750, how much more would he drop with folding waving uner his nose? You can get instant temporary cover to drive it home via an app or internet on your phone so that isn't a prob;em, you can also tax it that way as well or at a post office if they're open.
I'd suggest having a look at it, if nothing else rears its ugly head besides the coolant as Mark pointed out and i'm guessing you've already budgeted for that then i'd say start the bidding at £550 with the explanation that you've gone up £50 as the tyres aren't imminent but will need doing soon.
See if the seller makes any noises downwards from there and then try to meet in the middle somewhere probably around £600-650 ish give or take as you feel comfortable depending on the car and what you think of it.

If you know someone called Lisa, you could probably sell them the registration as well.
Money always talks so you’re right, if he’s come down this much, I’m sure there’s more room to negotiate.

When you talk about budgeting for coolant - are we talking a coolant flush and change or overhauling the whole system? It’s going to be a second car so will be doing about 3/4k a year.

Thank you again for your help. The advice from everyone is invaluable, especially given the fact I’m not mechanically minded!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom9 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2020, 21:02   #30
griston64
Premier Member

Beat me too it Dave.......
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: