Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wont start

Views : 676

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 20:34   #1
Lorribot

Default Wont start

Just bought a XC60 2010 model with a 2.4D engine, drove home all right (filled up with diesel on the way home) gave it a good wash and moved it around on the drive a bit. Then paired my phone and removed previous owners and now it wont start.
Engine cranks over alright but got no life. Also the tank is showing no fuel in it on the guage whilst cranking is ths normal?
Not sure where to look at the moment. Open to suggestions.
Lorribot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 20:50   #2
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorribot View Post
Just bought a XC60 2010 model with a 2.4D engine, drove home all right (filled up with diesel on the way home) gave it a good wash and moved it around on the drive a bit. Then paired my phone and removed previous owners and now it wont start.
Engine cranks over alright but got no life. Also the tank is showing no fuel in it on the guage whilst cranking is ths normal?
Not sure where to look at the moment. Open to suggestions.
Did the low battery warning come on the dash at all?
When you put fuel in, did you fill it full?
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 21:20   #3
Peter28

Angry

Are you waiting for the heater plug lights to go out. Mind you they are heavy on the battery if its only been on short drives and while ticking over on the drive with the running lights on I know this sounds funny but did you put the right fuel in or its got high water content. Hope all goes well for you be lucky.
Peter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 00:38   #4
Lorribot

Definately Deisel put in. would expect it to pop and crackle on petrol.

No warning lights or anything, it started instantly like my old V70 all they other times, only advice coming up is "Maintenance overdue", but nothing specific and no error codes on the ODB thingy.

Engine just turns over and nothing happens. Have checked fuses for injection and fuel pump and changed but no joy.
My best guess is no fuel getting through to engine, so either fuel pump or injection pump.
neither option is likely to be cheap.

It is a leggy at 160K so possible just got unlucky with fuel pump.

Just wierd that after deleting the previous owners phones it wont start like the immobiliser has kicked in. Guess that is one for later model Volvos withe Sensura or what ever they call that crap.

Just to add I did jet wash under the bonnet but it started after that and never had an issue with my V70 with a D5, also had around 10 hours to dry out.

Last edited by Lorribot; Apr 13th, 2019 at 00:42. Reason: add info
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 03:13   #5
sv70

This reminds me of my brothers problem with his 265 volvo,it ran perfectly,until he had the engine bay steam cleaned,he had all sorts of starting problems since then,in difficulty in starting at sporadic times,to the point he just sold it in the end,so the steam has got into a place it shouldn't have.I would think get the volvo diagnostics on it and see if any codes come up.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 15:49   #6
double99

Have you solved this problem?
I have something similar.
double99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 21:56   #7
Lorribot

Smile It Lives!

Ok, so car came back today running as good as ever.

Mechanic went to basics to test from tank to injectors.
The upshot was the wiring loom to the low pressure pump in the tank had corroded on the main power in lead.
It looks like a previous owner had the issue and they or a garage had taken the rear seat out and the tank to fix the problem and had broken a bunch of wires and and also some of the pipe work and bodged it back to gether to get it working long enough to sell it.
There is a kit from Volvo to replace the wiring, no idea on the part number or cost at this point but aparently they sell quite a few so coulb a common problem.

When i get the bill i'll see if i can get more details on teh kit, but assume any Volvo parts department will know all about it.

Hope this helps someone.

As an aside my mechanic said the fuel tank was teh same as the one on the Ford S-Max. I assume most of the other parts are the same just have Volvo P/Ns rather then Ford P/Ns and no way to translate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorribot For This Useful Post: