Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

max turboboost value

Views : 10794

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 02:07   #1
5cilinder
Premier Member

Default max turboboost value

What are the maximum turboboostvalues of the 2.4/d5 engine euro 3 euro 4?
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 12:01   #2
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
What are the maximum turboboostvalues of the 2.4/d5 engine euro 3 euro 4?
I believe the Bosch MAP Sensor(measures boost pressure) has a minimum of 0bar and a maximum of 3 bar. Normal atmospheric pressure is around 1 bar so maximum positive boost would be 2 bar, more than that would be out of the range of the Bosch MAP Sensor so would cause an ECU error code(overboost).
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 19:05   #3
5cilinder
Premier Member

Ok but what are de boostvalues during driving (full load)? i asume some have boostgauges or torque apps
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 20:16   #4
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Ok but what are de boostvalues during driving (full load)? i asume some have boostgauges or torque apps
Regardless of MAX of the gauge or the app the max boost allowed will be governed by the cars MAP Sensor.

Perhaps this will be easier to understand.

Bosch MAP Sensor minimum is 0 bar and its maximum is 3 bar. So as far as the Bosch MAP Sensor is concerned:

0 bar = A vacuum
1 bar = Normal atmospheric pressure, the air around us(0 boost on a gauge or app)
2 bar = 1 bar of turbo boost pressure(1 on a gauge or app)
3 bar = 2 bar of turbo boost pressure(2 on a gauge or app)

The values when driving change constantly between the max and min of the MAP Sensor. Foot to the floor boards under heavy load you would expect to see close to the max of the MAP Sensor, 3 bar(2 bar of turbo boost on a gauge or app).

Hope that helps ..

EDIT.
Are you asking because you plan to buy a gauge or app and need to know what range is appropriate to buy the correct one?

Last edited by Shadeyman; Apr 28th, 2013 at 20:28.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 20:50   #5
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Might help plus the associated links, albeit for the EUIII diseasel but should put you in the ballpark

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=147745

Yes it depends on how far your right foot is into the floorboards. If you want a boost gauge, 2barg should see you OK. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't want the maximum boost to hit the limit of the MAP sensor would you?

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 21:43   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

I know the difference between absolute pressure and boost

The reason i need to know is that i have the euro4 2.4 d 163hp
If i load the rica d5 euro4 185 hp map i notice no difference in power also the boostvalue's stays with both maps at max 1.3 bar (readout with torqueapp)
I assume that with higher power with remaps you need more boost to supress excessive smoke

I also have the suspiscion that maybe the standard map is a d5 map because after the dpf softwareupgrade (wich gave problems with loading at volvo and they used something different in the end) the car seemed to have more power with the standard software than before

Last edited by 5cilinder; Apr 28th, 2013 at 22:04.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 22:53   #7
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
I know the difference between absolute pressure and boost

The reason i need to know is that i have the euro4 2.4 d 163hp
If i load the rica d5 euro4 185 hp map i notice no difference in power also the boostvalue's stays with both maps at max 1.3 bar (readout with torqueapp)
I assume that with higher power with remaps you need more boost to supress excessive smoke

I also have the suspiscion that maybe the standard map is a d5 map because after the dpf softwareupgrade (wich gave problems with loading at volvo and they used something different in the end) the car seemed to have more power with the standard software than before
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you have to alter more than just the map to achieve the extra HP. I'm sure things like the length of the turbo's actuator rod has to be fine tuned to the map that's being used for it to produce the correct level of boost. I may be wrong but I'm sure I read about this somewhere and it wasn't as easy as just swopping the map.

Last edited by Shadeyman; Apr 28th, 2013 at 23:06.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 23:02   #8
5cilinder
Premier Member

The euro4 2.4d and D5 are exactly the same engines hardwarewise, only different software
I also have the 205 hp map wich gives more power wich i still need to test for the boostvalue

I just need to know the measured values from the same engines from people here that can see the values with gauges or obd2 apps
because if the d5 map is 163hp and not 185 hp i need the tuner to rectify it but before i complain i need to be sure

Last edited by 5cilinder; Apr 28th, 2013 at 23:05.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 23:14   #9
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
The euro4 2.4d and D5 are exactly the same engines hardwarewise, only different software
I also have the 205 hp map wich gives more power wich i still need to test for the boostvalue

I just need to know the measured values from the same engines from people here that can see the values with gauges or obd2 apps
because if the d5 map is 163hp and not 185 hp i need the tuner to rectify it but before i complain i need to be sure
If what you say is correct and the hardware is exactly the same it can only be the map, time to give your tuning guy a call I think.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 23:50   #10
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
If what you say is correct and the hardware is exactly the same it can only be the map, time to give your tuning guy a call I think.
That's what i said, but before the call i want to know what other people readout as boostvalue's