Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to buy wheel nuts?

Views : 758

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2014, 17:28   #1
JRL
Master Member

Default Where to buy wheel nuts?

My alloys are beginning to look distinctly tired and in need of a refurb but I also want to change the wheel nuts as they are rusty and get rid of the locking nuts.

So I need 20 in total, no point in doing a job if you are not going to do it right! I have looked on Ebay and Parts For Volvos but can't seem to find any. There are some on Ebay but at a ridiculous price.

Anyone have an idea as to where I could buy them in bulk instead of overpriced packets of four?
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 17:47   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I guess you actually need bolts rather than nuts . Genuine Volvo ones are good quality and if looked after should stay in good rust free condition for a number of years. There's usually plenty for sale on eBay and you should be able to get them for not much over £1 or so each if you buy 20 (if you are prepared to wait for them to come along at the right price).

Last edited by Simon Jones; May 10th, 2014 at 17:52.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 17:54   #3
JRL
Master Member

Bolts...nuts...always get them mixed up! Yeah I have seen some on Ebay but at around £10 for four I thought they were a little expensive. Time for another look.
Old May 10th, 2014, 17:59   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The ones on eBay currently are a little pricey. One set was over £70! I got a bag of 20 for just over £20 inc delivery but that was about a year ago and I've only just got round to fitting them.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 19:14   #5
greasyfingers

Just to add my 50p's worth:

I have two different types of wheel bolts on my car - evidently a previous owner had trouble with the locking bolts and replaced them.

Each wheel, then, has four conventional bolts with the tapered seat that fits into the tapered hole in the wheel, plus a different one that has a collar, like a washer, but thicker and tapered. It's this collar that fits into the tapered seat, and this means you don't have to deal with the friction between wheel and bolt.

This, I have found, makes removing them much, much, much easier. Much easier. Much, much easier. I mean, really, much easier.

If you can find the ones with the collar, these'd be the ones to go for.

Much easier.

They also seem less prone to rusting.
Old May 10th, 2014, 22:56   #6
TiredGeek
Master Member

Well as they're the only things holding my wheels on at 90mph I'm not gonna trust some unknown make from eBay for the sake of ~£80 so I'm off to the stealers where I can buy some massively overpriced but known good wheel bolts.
Cheap Chinese from eBay, thanks but no thanks

Mine are 7 years old and are starting to look slightly rough so I'll replace them when I have the wheels refurbed, but by the time the car is 14 years old I'll either not care how rusty they are or more likely it'll be the breakers yard that's looking at them.... either way I'll have had 14 years for £80 and know my wheels aren't gonna fall off....

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 23:07   #7
JRL
Master Member

Damn! I just bought these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=201082762809

two seconds before I noticed your post. Got me worried now. Still hopefully I will only need a few to replace the really rusty ones on the car now.

Has anyone had any experience of this company?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0636-Like4...item2ed1ae466c

£285 plus return postage for four refurbed wheels seems like a good deal to me.
Old May 11th, 2014, 19:28   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Has anyone had any experience of this company?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0636-Like4...item2ed1ae466c

£285 plus return postage for four refurbed wheels seems like a good deal to me.
With you not being on the mainland, I'd check that return cost first.
I've seen their ads before and in certain circumstances, it looks a great deal but could also be a faff.
For me, I'd be able to drive there in under 90 mins and use their "free" fitting service in lieu of postage.
I'm not sure I could be bothered with all the tyre swapping and repackaging the old for return though.
They certainly seem to refurbish to an excellent standard though.
Old May 11th, 2014, 21:40   #9
JRL
Master Member

I'm going to give them a ring in the morning. The problem with being over here is there really isn't anywhere that can do a good refurb. At least none that I can find. Seems the few local guys do a quick spray job and nothing else and it's still expensive.
Old May 12th, 2014, 00:44   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

You might be surprised what you can do yourself with a bit of patience and about £40 worth of materials.
I did my first alloy refurb recently......
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200533