Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 door handle kaput

Views : 2310

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:14   #1
V40owner

Default S40 door handle kaput

Morning gents.

Seems like nothing goes right without failure.
Upon putting the car for the mot last monday and seeing the car passing with flying colours nor advisories yesterday i did notice that the belly pan is slightly loose and out of alignment...the joys.

To make things worse this morning while walking to the completely frozen car i had it unlocked and while opening the door the door handle ended up coming appart from the door....
Result now i can open the door even by pulling the handle.
Does anyone know if this is fixable or quite difficult to fix??

Thanks
V40owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:12   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Chrome door handles by any chance? Common problem. Ways to fix it? Buy a new handle or replace the lot with black plastic ones which look less Gok Wan and don't fall apart when it gets cold.

Its not a hard fix but you do need to have all the door card off to replace the handle.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide

Last edited by Antz; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 12:24.
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:11   #3
V40owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Chrome door handles by any chance? Common problem. Ways to fix it? Buy a new handle or replace the lot with black plastic ones which look less Gok Wan and don't fall apart when it gets cold.

Its not a hard fix but you do ened to have all the door card off to replace the handle.
Its a chrome handle .
It pulls and springs back but simply doesnt open the door...was expecting better from swedish engineering lol
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:27   #4
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Whip the doorcard off and see whats up. My guess is the metal rod that connects the handle to the door lock has come off at one end. Either by falling off or its snapped one of the attachments.

You should be able to see my removing the door card, peeling back the plastic and peering in with a torch.

Doorcard removal.
Two covered screws down outer edge.
One screw behind speaker cover
One covered screw above door pocket
One covered screw below mirror
One covered screw for the window switch and interior handle.
Then give it a good tug to remove all the clips at the bottom and lift it off at the top.

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 13:05   #5
kieran40
I've Been Banned

I thought the chrome handles are better, maybe it's just a cosmetic thing then.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 13:40   #6
TEEKIZZLE

Careful not to drop those screws into the door, pain to fish out.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 13:42   #7
V40owner

Cheers for the advise guys
Ill give it a try tonight or tomorrow
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 15:24   #8
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Mine snapped right at the back of the handle the other day, where it connects to the curved lever part that sits inside the handle and pulls out to unlock the latch.

I can get my finger in behind the handle, and pull the (slightly sharp) broken lever edge outwards. It doesn't take much effort to pull it, as long as you can get a finger on it. It's harder to get purchase on the lever in the rain, as it's slippy, but still doable.

I'm living with mine for now until it gets warmer (or I get fed up of doing it). I am going to try carefully using Araldite to glue them together, when it gets warmer outside, but I don't think it'll work, as the handle does bend & rotate slightly in the mounting as you pull it outwards. First time the door is frosted shut and I accidentally yank the handle, it'll just snap the glue again.

Removing the handle to glue it might work better as you can be more liberal with the gunk. On the car you risk sticking it to the housing and it'll never move again.....

Gatos suggested screwing carefully through the handle into the latch, that's one option, but it'll look rubbish.

Last edited by baldmosher; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 15:27.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 17:18   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Mine snapped right at the back of the handle the other day, where it connects to the curved lever part that sits inside the handle and pulls out to unlock the latch.

I can get my finger in behind the handle, and pull the (slightly sharp) broken lever edge outwards. It doesn't take much effort to pull it, as long as you can get a finger on it. It's harder to get purchase on the lever in the rain, as it's slippy, but still doable.

I'm living with mine for now until it gets warmer (or I get fed up of doing it). I am going to try carefully using Araldite to glue them together, when it gets warmer outside, but I don't think it'll work, as the handle does bend & rotate slightly in the mounting as you pull it outwards. First time the door is frosted shut and I accidentally yank the handle, it'll just snap the glue again.

Removing the handle to glue it might work better as you can be more liberal with the gunk. On the car you risk sticking it to the housing and it'll never move again.....

Gatos suggested screwing carefully through the handle into the latch, that's one option, but it'll look rubbish.
Don't waste your time with araldite. It'll snap the first time you use the handle.

If you don't want to replace the handle, get your man at the garage to whack a screw through it. It works and I've seen it done but it does look **** and gives a nice sharp edge on the handle face.

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 17:19   #10
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

New handle it is then.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post: